Early morning out at Forfar Loch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I, too, am fond of the movie Jeremiah Johnson, as well as, other movies depicting the fur trade era. It was certainly an influence on my early trapping days during the "fur boom" (US prices) of the late 70s and early 80s. I would have loved to have lived in a northern climate during that time, as our fur quality was poor in comparison.;) I did have fun and earned a little spending money with my friend Tom, trapping the creeks and farms near my hometown, during those heady days of strong fur prices.

Colin, I'm a true product of the "American melting pot". I've known kin buried in the areas of Ulster, Ceredigion, Suffolk, and Yorkshire. In addition to the UK, I've known kin from Ireland, France, Germany and Switzerland and of the Cherokee in North America. The majority of my kin immigrated to America in the early 1700s, although some kin came here in the late 1600s. My surname is from the German/Swiss lineage.:D Even with this understanding of the many branches of my mostly European ancestry and whence we came, our present family is very much assimilated and proud to be American, despite current European disdain for Americans.;)

As Turbogirl (she really is a lovely lady) says there isn't any true animosity towards our US chums here I don't think, there's a lot of ribbing goes on both ways, but that's the fun of cultural differences. I think to dislike any country because of their leaders stance can be pretty short-sighted. There are more similarities than we let on and the differences make it interesting and fun.
It's a bit like the supposed differences between Germany and the UK. Yes we fought two major wars against each other but I've always enjoyed German company (especially their ladies!) and culturally we are so close I think it's the reason there's rivalry. So you'll get no bitching about the US folk from me. It's still a vibrant young culture, it just has a young mans attitude towards the rest of the world with it's "empire".
Would love to hit some of the rural areas of the states as theres so much to experience.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Hi Colin, my comment about "current European disdain for Americans" was truly intended to mean in the broader European sense and not BcUK. I've been a registered user here long enough to have formed my own opinion and concur with your assessment, otherwise, I would have certainly not bothered to stay here. I do enjoy reading and seeing the many trip reports on BcUK.

My writing style is, most often, direct and lacks creativity and comes across to the reader slightly aggressive. For the most part, if I were communicating with the reader by voice, inflection, tone, facial expressions and other body language would confirm that my written word is not harsh but just direct. This brings me to the point in which I've followed your very well written trip reports in the Out and About forum. I admire your creativity and ability to 'paint a picture' with your writing. I do look forward to more of your trip reports and learning of your culture along the way.

atb,

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Must say I've never had a problem with your writing style, as you say it's direct and well put together. Some folk do have problems when they read/write things and wrong impressions can be gained. It's something that's been discussed on BCUK and elsewhere. It's one of the reasons folk like Toddy (MOD) like the use of emoticons as it can take the ambiguity out of things. Personally from business where some of my colleagues emails were succinct or somewhat brusk to say the least I always leaned to take the lighter side of what they were saying and not jump up and down in rage at an apparent slight. Some American literature is absolutely wonderful and the way words and phrases are used can be surprising and the way that some folks can write in such a natural stanza can change the way one thinks about things. Too many times we Brits get uppity about the way Americans put things without realising that quite often the English used is a more "proper" or older version of what we are using.
Thanks for your kind words about my writing, I do enjoy stabbing away at the keyboard and hope that folks enjoy the end result. I try to keep it natural and flowing as if I retype and think too deeply about it I loose the flow and it becomes stilted. (It also encourages me to get out and look about, it's too easy to get focused on a destination without taking the time to enjoy the journey. And at the speed I go; slow these days, I've got to enjoy the journey.
Should be another one up soon as I've some wanders planned.
Take care,
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE