Now call me old fashioned but... Bug Out Bag.. Is it Worth doing??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

little_leaf177

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2011
Liverpeewwll
Today in work, I had a brief conversation regarding this whole 'end of the world thing'... he started talking about finishing touches to his bug out bag because of whats going to happen. So when i enquired he mentioned about dirty bombs n stuff n the government planning things etc..
Now other then this guy having a pungent smell of the 'green herb' n the obvious thought of he has smoked farrr to much it actually came to me 'is it worth doing'?
I just wanna know.. Has anyone else got a bug out bag ready for this 21st domesday thing and whats in it?

regards
Li'l Leaf

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
my kit is almost always packed for storage so i suppose it could be considered a bob butit aint imed for the 21st december

There's the thing isn't it? There are real events wotrth preparing for; but if the world actaully ends (21st december or any other date) where would you bug out too? What would be the point?

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
There's the thing isn't it? There are real events wotrth preparing for; but if the world actaully ends (21st december or any other date) where would you bug out too? What would be the point?

So you can be the last crazy assed fool sitting alone in his bunker - last mand standing wins :D

Seriosly though my home BOB contains important docs, and a few odds and ends to get me to somewhere safe (family) my commutee/work BOB has a basic 1st aid kit, an A-Z of London some water and grub, and a waterproof jacket both are designed so i can walk to where i need to go...

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nope, only my camping gear. I've no idea what shape TEOTW will come in and if there's nothing left - ie a real "end" - then I'll have already translated to wherever :). I hope, if there is something left, I'll have enough nous to get on with life. Anyway, see you all on the 22nd ... I hope :)

little_leaf177

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2011
Liverpeewwll
some good points chaps. cheers for the heads up. I suppose im best just having something as an emergency bag. i never even took a second thought abouut documents but Good call.
Fingers crossed 21st comes n goes.. i might be best eatin the 22/23/24th windows in me advent calender... just in case.. fingers crossed it comes n goes with no probs :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The only thing that will have me running from home is a fire, so when the end of the world is announced I've lots and lots of kit to pick from to suit season and reason for getting out of Dodge; no BOB as such but many fine pickings to make some up from.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Today in work, I had a brief conversation regarding this whole 'end of the world thing'... he started talking about finishing touches to his bug out bag because of whats going to happen. So when i enquired he mentioned about dirty bombs n stuff n the government planning things etc..
Now other then this guy having a pungent smell of the 'green herb' n the obvious thought of he has smoked farrr to much it actually came to me 'is it worth doing'?
I just wanna know.. Has anyone else got a bug out bag ready for this 21st domesday thing and whats in it?

regards
Li'l Leaf

For the end of the world, NO! the world isn't going to end.

But it's smart to keep a few essentials on you or in the car etc.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Not really got a bob as such - this is what we are recommended to have

http://www.getthru.govt.nz/web/GetThru.nsf/web/BOWN-7GZTZF

Most of our stuff is at home to be fair and as I walk to work it's fairly accessible. I reckon the main reason we'd have to get out asap would be tsunami, but we're not that coastal and fairly high up, so if that was the case it really would be eotw!
Must put a bit more thought to it though.....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For unexpected nights away from home (parties that I decide to stay on at afterdrinking too much, van breakdowns ... which are anticipated at any time! ... road closures, TEOTWAWKI etc) my van always contains enough kit to be comfortable camping out for 24 hours. In the van I also have copies of vital papers such as my passport details, tax, insurance and MOT. The van also contains tools enough for most roadside emergencies and a big first aid kit.
My Bushy kit is always primed and ready at 5mins warning so that might count too....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE