North Meet. Definately On. Confirm if you're interested

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
just bring enough for yourself ...............................and me of course, :D
i would be tempted to bring a bit from home if you have just in case, but there are lots of woodlands, nearby but someone said the landowner was clamping down on foraging?

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
halo said:
:eek: you missed me :red:

halo

ahem...erm...sorry dude :sad6:

JoshG - i reckon it might be worth while sourcing some wood for spoons just incase. saing that tho i should be bringing some reasonably fresh apple wood (to burn) that may be okay for carving.....maybe not tho.

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
scruff said:
ahem...erm...sorry dude :sad6:

JoshG - i reckon it might be worth while sourcing some wood for spoons just incase. saing that tho i should be bringing some reasonably fresh apple wood (to burn) that may be okay for carving.....maybe not tho.
Okie dokie. I'll try and get some sort of reasonable carving wood, but if not could somebody here supply me with a wee bit of nice wood for making a few spoons? :)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'll try and get out on the Thursday and cut some thin stuff for spoons. It'll be sycamore and no more than three or four inches diameter. DON'T rely on this though! I might not get the chance. If you want to do spoon carving, try and get a bit of sycamore - a trip to the local park or woods just before last light might help - looking for windblown branches. Even curved bits of branch can make 'character' spoons.

Eric

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
woo-hoo! it looks like i'm on night shift next week. this means that i'm not working on friday so i should be able to get down by mid afternoon.
really looking forward to it. i'm going to bring my tent as well as my hammock just in case.
as to the food, i can eat just about anything best out of three :D

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
I can bring some bits of dead standing sycamore for friction firelighting, if anyone wants a go at it. I've got as far as smoke myself, but never managed to get an ember big enough to "fire up". I'll probably have another go at the weekend tho'.
I might have some hazel for spoons, I'll have a look in the woodshed.....(after I've plucked up the courage!).....

H

halo

guys if your struggleing for fresh sycamore i've got one in my garden that could stand a bit of pruning,shout up if you want some with diameter and lengths and i'll see what i can come up with :)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I wasn't planning on doing bowmaking. I can't get hold of ash staves till next month (that's when they're getting the chop). All I have right now is some lovely yew - about fifteen to twenty good staves but I can get between fifty and a hundred quid each for them so there's no way I'm using them for teaching. If anyone has a good straighish knot free piece of hardwood I can demonstrate making a field expedient longbow that will shoot an arrow, but proper bowyering it is not. Alternatively, bring along about a dozen long garden canes and I'll show you how to make a bow from these. Apart fromthat, I'll have longbows, flatbows and a couple of dozen arrows for people to play with. I don't have a target though.

Eric

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
wanderingstar - welcome aboard!

Wayland + 1
Goose
Graham S
led + 1
bloodline
outdoorcode
Razorstrop
Eric Methven
Bumblebee
JimH
scruff + 2
morch + 2
Grooveski
Scout
redcollective
Scally
running bare + 1
Big Geordie
big lizard
bike thing
Spoony + 1
gaz_miggy + 1
JoshG + 2
Emberglow
peds8045
twelveboar + 3
bilko
Halo
Hammy
wanderingstar + 1

shaggystu +1
Simon waites?

45 defo's, 3 maybe's

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
hi, 'fraid i won't be comming as i work away from home all week and have to use weekeneds to catch up with diy, and my girlfriend! however i had a look at the reviews for the fisher ground site and there was a comment in one of the later reviews about cheaper wood from the forester down the road. might be of interest to all of those going.
Quote from site
"The campsite sells kindle and logs for the fires, £3.50 a bag for the logs, and the Texaco garage also sells logs. We found the local forester the cheapest at £2.50 a bag of logs and 50p a bag of kindle. As you are heading for Holmrook and the garage the foresters house in on the right. A small sign is just near his gate saying logs for sale."

the reviews are here http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?page=3&revid=1080

hope this might be of some use

stevec

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE