North Meet. Definately On. Confirm if you're interested

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Yes you'll be welcome to come along.

To anyone else lurking out there, I would just say that there are quite a few "newbies" coming to the North Meet so no need to feel the least bit intimidated.

It's a chance for us all to learn a few things, discuss ideas, swap skills and generally chill out in the Lakes for the weekend.

We can't guarantee the weather but you can be sure of a good welcome and lots of friendly bushcrafters.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'll second that. Just in case any of you relatively new to bushcrafting are feeling a tad worried, please remember that we ALL started out as newbies at one time or another.

What I will also add is this. There is no such thing as a stupid question! I really encourage all of you to ask questions at the meet, whether it be about people's kit or techniques being taught. Chances are the question you ask will be welcomed by many others who were reluctant to ask for fear of looking daft. The only way I found out stuff was by watching other more experienced people and asking when I didn't understand something. So lets hope the meet will be a great learning opportunity - for all of us.

Eric

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Excellent, excellent and very thoughtful replies. Thankyou for putiing my mind at rest :)
Corr, realy excited now!.
Right!, i'm going to try and get some firewood, but not now as i'm off to bed.
Brilliant!, don't mean to go soft but that made me feel rather good :p :) ."Thanks"!

H

halo

do we know if there is somwhere to hang our hamocks and tarps :Thinkingo :umbrella: or would it be wise to bring a tent as well :sulkoff:

halo

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Earlier on in the thread there was some discussion of this. There is a wooded patch, but it's a bit scruffy. You could also just guy out a couple of poles and sling the hammock from that.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
led said:
Earlier on in the thread there was some discussion of this. There is a wooded patch, but it's a bit scruffy . You could also just guy out a couple of poles and sling the hammock from that.

Hmm sounds like my kinda place! :D

Bilko - I've added your name to the list. Have a safe drive up and above all don't worry. See you soon :240:

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
OK its getting closer, i have never been to one before being a complete noob, soooo

Cant we have a check list, do we just look after ourselves food wise?? what do i need to bring?? dont want to just bring food for myself when we supposed to bring a bit for a group meal, ????

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
There is a plan to have a group meal one day with a few of us providing the food (and it looks like there's a lot of cooking to be done with the numbers growing so much :D). Other than that, it's pretty much up to individuals. If you don't want to bring food with you you can buy some at the nearby Eskdale stores, (or the pub!).

I'd definitely come prepared for wet weather (this time last year the campsite was pretty much waterlogged). Having said that, with things being so mild at the moment, you'd probably also need to bring midge repellent :)

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
we could do with getting our heads together re. group cook(s)...

...work out what we're making so we can work out ingredients etc.

seen as tho its the time of year how's about a stew (i got a good ham shank stew recipe my ma makes 'tis very tasty and easy!)? or a curry etc?? (basically anything 'one potty')

and how many group cooks we doing?

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Sounds good. It's a long thread I know, but take a look at pages 8 and 9 for what's been discussed so far re food.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
led said:
Sounds good. It's a long thread I know, but take a look at pages 8 and 9 for what's been discussed so far re food.
:welcome: ;) :joke:

dude, i was thinking to formalise an idea on grub as things are getting a bit nearer :)

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Sorry Scruff, should read it better myself :eek:

I'm still on for doing a daal, just got my big pan out ready :D

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Been there and done that many times before. I'll tell you what works best. One person buys for the group meal - let's say a stew, tatties and two veg for the saturday lunch and braised beef tatties and veg for sunday lunch. The person buying totals up the bill, divides by the number eating and we all chip in that amount. Last time everybody brought food and threw it all in the pot. It was pretty gruesom and it was done in the dark as well which is why a lunch meal works best. I'd have volunteer'd to do the cooking but I'm going to be too busy with four or five craft skills.

Other meals like breakfast and supper are done individually.

Eric

hammy

Forager
Sep 28, 2004
Pegswood, Northumberland.
Been following thread for a while and if its ok with you's, would like to come along to the northern area meet.
I have also just compleated the woodlander course (with a company called woodsmoke). It was exellent 1 week in the woods was not enough though.

cheers Dave..

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Eric_Methven said:
Been there and done that many times before. I'll tell you what works best. One person buys for the group meal - let's say a stew, tatties and two veg for the saturday lunch and braised beef tatties and veg for sunday lunch. The person buying totals up the bill, divides by the number eating and we all chip in that amount. Last time everybody brought food and threw it all in the pot. It was pretty gruesom and it was done in the dark as well which is why a lunch meal works best. I'd have volunteer'd to do the cooking but I'm going to be too busy with four or five craft skills.

Other meals like breakfast and supper are done individually.

Eric

Well said. I had been thinking on the same lines.

Right, I'll do ONE of the meals and it will either be a Ham Shank stew or maybe a Chicken curry. Not bothered which day I cook it, Sat or Sun. Like Eric says I'll buy all the raw materials for it myself...unless there's a butcher among us to provide the meat?

Sorry Eric no tatties from me! ;)

led - if you wanna get together n make it (ie. ur lal, my curry n rotis) a cooking two-some so to speak PM me?

hammy - i've added you to the list. be good to see you there. glad to hear you enjoyed the Woodsmoke course...i've been thinking about going on the same one myself. too late in the year now tho i believe. see you soon!

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Wayland + 1
Goose
Graham S
led + 1
bloodline
outdoorcode
Razorstrop
Eric Methven
Bumblebee
JimH
scruff + 2
morch + 2
Grooveski
Scout
redcollective
Scally
running bare + 1
Big Geordie
big lizard
bike thing
Spoony + 1
gaz_miggy + 1
JoshG + 2
Emberglow
peds8045
twelveboar + 3
bilko
Halo
Hammy

Simon waites?

43 defo's, 1 maybe

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Scruff, PM sent. Whilst we're making arrangements for meals, do we have any vegetarians coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE