Nettle Cordage, How Strong!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
After reading a recent post I thought I would have a go at making some nettle cordage. I was surprised how strong it was so I thought I would carry out a small test.

I made about 50cm of cordage and used a bowline knot at each end to form a loop at each end, pictured below with group buy Para cord for comparison. This cordage was made straight from a freshly picked nettle.

pa180033wn7.jpg

The cordage was then looped over a tripod with both loops hanging down to witch a hanging basket was attached, so in fact I have doubled the strength of the cordage by doubling it up. The basket weighed in at 2.2kg
pa180028di3.jpg

pa180022fr2.jpg

So for a bit of fun how much weight do you think the cordage managed to support? I only had wet house bricks as ballast so it was a very basic test in every sense of the word.

I know there are many variables and a chain is only as strong as its weakest link etc, etc, but just have a wild guess and I will post the answer in a few days.
Cheers P@ul

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
its pretty strong stuff when gradually loaded so I reccon 9 bricks! ;)

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
well i made some and me and my sister tried to break it by having a game of tug of war with it, and it didnt break then so i'll go for 11 bricks
leon

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Well being a bricky, I have to ask what sort of bricks were they....I will assume they are flettons and go for 14 bricks.........

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
Doh, I knew I would fail to mention something. :)

Jon Pickett said:
Well being a bricky, I have to ask what sort of bricks were they....I will assume they are flettons and go for 14 bricks.........

Not a bricky, but the same bricks as used to build the wall in the photo. :confused:

P@ul

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
I reckon you'd have a hard job to squeeze ten brick into that hanging basket, so I'm going for 7...

Boy is this the cutting edge of science, or what ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lower, lower...sorry, "play your cards right" moment there

I'm going for 5

And giving some rep for the best new thread in a long while - well done mate!

Red

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Hmm, I can't see the pic here at work - is there a join in the cord or is it made from a single length?

If it's joined I reckon it will come apart at 6 bricks (that's where mine always fails anyway), if it's one piece then I'll go for 10.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Having been lugging bricks around all last week to make are chicken run more interesting I do know they are heavy :) , but then again the cord is doubled up and fairly strong. So im going for more bricks than you can fit in the basket :confused: :lmao:.

Failing that about eight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE