Nettle Cordage, How Strong!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
OK everyone I will put you out of your misery. I was feeling quite chuffed with myself when I made the cordage and was quite surprised at how many bricks it managed to hold. But now after seeing some of your guesses I am doubting my ability to make good cordage, I’ll keep practising and see if I can do any better, but enough waffling, lets get down to the business at hand.

The cordage managed to support five bricks for a good five minutes and broke just before I was able to place the sixth. Bricks weighed in at 12.5kg + the weight of the basket 2.2kg, that’s a total weight of 14.7kgs.
pa180029rc5.jpg

pa180030sd1.jpg

Thanks to all for taking part, P@ul

Reactions: bent-stick

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Actually that is better than you think.

I did some tests on 3mm cordette (the stuff that looks like climbing rope in miniture) it easily held my 103KGs / 16.5 stone. I tried again with 'Authentic' paracord, again no problems.

I then stripped out the single strands and tried that, they broke consistently at around 15Kgs. They didnt break at the joint or knot but in the middle.

What I did was tie a small stick at the end of a single strand so that it looked like a tiny rope swing. I then threaded the stick through a weight lifting plate(15Kg/33lbs) and very very carefully allowed it to take the strain.

So, in brief, you should be proud of yourself!

Paracord holding 103Kg

CC-hang.jpg

The 'Seat' :) (good job I wasnt on it for long)

PC-knot.jpg

You can see where I rounded off the corners to stop cuts in the single inner strand.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
P@ul

At what part of the cord did it break?
In the middle?
Where it went round the ring? A smaller bend radius would increase preasure at this point.
At the knot? If this one, what knot did you use?

Well done, you've started a great thread here. :)
I'll have to dig out my bits of nettle cord to experiment, I've also got some yucca cordage I made which is much stronger.

Stu

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
Neanderthal said:
P@ul

At what part of the cord did it break?
In the middle?
Where it went round the ring? A smaller bend radius would increase preasure at this point.
At the knot? If this one, what knot did you use?

Well done, you've started a great thread here. :)
I'll have to dig out my bits of nettle cord to experiment, I've also got some yucca cordage I made which is much stronger.

Stu

Stu,

The cordage broke about 25mm from one of the knots, I also thought it would fail at one of the knots or where it past over the top hook but that wasn't the case.

I would love to hear how other materials and techniques compare.

Cheers P@ul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE