Making cordage :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Today I've been tidying up in the garden, and as is my wont I've been playing around with stuff making cordage.
Crocus leaves, about a foot long, thin and dried golden, make really surprisingly good string, so do the rushes, and they make rope too. The ivy makes a kind of uneven rope, but it coils well and when dried and then soaked is better yet again.
The willow bark is as ever superb stuff :) the iris leaves are excellent though better taken dried, and the same with the flag ones too. I had a go at grass rope, and was pleased with it, and a go at a bit of honeysuckle (as used in TreeHenge) but I don't think I've got the timing right on it, it's brittle or too snappy/soft. Nettles are as usually good and fine and strong, and the stuff I stripped from an invading bramble is surprisingly good.

So, kind of a fun day :)
What have you got ? and did it work for rope or string ?

M

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Today I've been tidying up in the garden, and as is my wont I've been playing around with stuff making cordage.
Crocus leaves, about a foot long, thin and dried golden, make really surprisingly good string, so do the rushes, and they make rope too. The ivy makes a kind of uneven rope, but it coils well and when dried and then soaked is better yet again.
The willow bark is as ever superb stuff :) the iris leaves are excellent though better taken dried, and the same with the flag ones too. I had a go at grass rope, and was pleased with it, and a go at a bit of honeysuckle (as used in TreeHenge) but I don't think I've got the timing right on it, it's brittle or too snappy/soft. Nettles are as usually good and fine and strong, and the stuff I stripped from an invading bramble is surprisingly good.

So, kind of a fun day :)
What have you got ? and did it work for rope or string ?

M
Did you get any actual tidying done? ;D

I've got some long creepers with waxy green leaves and blue flowers that have very tough round stems. I'm not sure how well they hold up when dry, but I use cutoffs to tie thing up as they are. Would probably make for excellent green rope at least

Reactions: zornt and Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I did actually :) Three huge trugloads of stuff. Quietly pleased with myself. I'm not aching and I'm alert and not semi somnolent. Got to be a good thing :)

The cordage making is kind of default setting somehow. What is your creeper though ? Bindweed or morning glory are the two blue ones I know of.

Reactions: SaraR and zornt

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I did actually :) Three huge trugloads of stuff. Quietly pleased with myself. I'm not aching and I'm alert and not semi somnolent. Got to be a good thing :)

The cordage making is kind of default setting somehow. What is your creeper though ? Bindweed or morning glory are the two blue ones I know of.
That’s OK then, well done! :)

I think it’s Vinca - that’s periwinkle in English, right? Annoyingly you have to cut them off as they are too strong to pull /break off.. But they are pretty and they grow well, so I don’t mind. I just cut them back a bit when they’re too much in the way.

Reactions: Toddy

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Question to you guys who make cordage.
I think I’d like to give it a go - maybe.

1. I have an excellent nettle crop and it’s still green; it shouldn’t be but it is. Could it still be useful? They certainly aren’t drying out as they stand - (Autumn 2023!!!!!)

2. I am surrounded by traditional textile machinery here at home even though I’ve never used it. I’ve frequently observed spinning and plying to skeins and balls.

3. All the instructions that I’ve read so far seem to show hand twisting - no tools at all. I cannot help imagining that, should I let go, there will be a !!twang!! as I slither back down the snake to square one.

So:
Does anyone use any kind of spindle or a wheel for twisting or plying? I can easily make a slow rotating wheel and spindle like the traditional Welsh Great Wheel. They were very simple without need for a differential drive.
Are there any other “non-return” devices for this process (or must I invent one?)

Thanks for help.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
This is a strange language that you speak Earth person. :)

Edited to add:
“Significant amounts” describes my nettle crop. I have many square yards of yard high nettle no longer required by Red Admiral butterflies.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Question to you guys who make cordage.
I think I’d like to give it a go - maybe.

1. I have an excellent nettle crop and it’s still green; it shouldn’t be but it is. Could it still be useful? They certainly aren’t drying out as they stand - (Autumn 2023!!!!!)

2. I am surrounded by traditional textile machinery here at home even though I’ve never used it. I’ve frequently observed spinning and plying to skeins and balls.

3. All the instructions that I’ve read so far seem to show hand twisting - no tools at all. I cannot help imagining that, should I let go, there will be a !!twang!! as I slither back down the snake to square one.

So:
Does anyone use any kind of spindle or a wheel for twisting or plying? I can easily make a slow rotating wheel and spindle like the traditional Welsh Great Wheel. They were very simple without need for a differential drive.
Are there any other “non-return” devices for this process (or must I invent one?)

Thanks for help.
I just pick some strands and twist and lay.....twist one way on two or three strands but twist them together the other way round.

I do use a spindle sometimes and sort of thigh roll it, with good fibres rolling it just as is on my thigh works well, but usually I'm joining in stuff as I go so I find the hand twist method simpler.
They all work.

Someplace there's a thread where I made a small basket from rope I made as I went along. I'll see if I can find it, because there were photos on it.
I just used dried iris leaves for that.

Your nettles will do fine. It's a good time to pull them because they'll be full of strong fibres just now.

M

Reactions: Pattree

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
At least you @Man of Tanith don't get hassled when you use the local colloquial name for them.
To us it's Sticky willy :rolleyes:

@Pattree
Have a look at page 2 of this thread...

Reactions: Pattree
At least you @Man of Tanith don't get hassled when you use the local colloquial name for them.
To us it's Sticky willy :rolleyes:

@Pattree
Have a look at page 2 of this thread...
I deliberately avoided that term because although I'm near 42 I have the sense of humour of a 10yr old ....

• Haha
Reactions: Toddy

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

how much is one huge trugload?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
75L worth :)
like these,

My garden runs alongside a nature walk that is lined with mature trees and shrubs....the windfall alone is a constant clear up.
I make brilliant compost though :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE