Neanderthals.............the eyes have it !!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's something very odd there; does not compute.

To interbreed to create fertile offspring, then the two species must really be incredibly close. It just doesn't work otherwise.
The human cline ranges from tall, snow white skin and hair with blue eyes, right the way to the dark, virtually hairless skins and small stature of the Andaman islanders. From the Australian aborigines to the Inuit; and we can all interbreed successfully.
We are one species despite the apparantly obvious huge differences.

Neanderthals must have been very, very, close.

cheers,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I don't know if any of you ever caught the copy of National Geographic where they did a "meet the ancestor" reconstruction of a Neanderthal woman?
She looked pretty "human" to me, a face that wouldn't stand out in a crowd as being "alien" and as to stature well within what I'd call normal. They've even been proven to have hyoid bones which in theory would have given the possible abilty to speak. As Toddy says they must've been pretty close, in fact there are phenotypes of humans out there I'd consider more alien looking to what the neanderthals supposedly looked like.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I don't know if any of you ever caught the copy of National Geographic where they did a "meet the ancestor" reconstruction of a Neanderthal woman?
She looked pretty "human" to me, a face that wouldn't stand out in a crowd as being "alien" and as to stature well within what I'd call normal. They've even been proven to have hyoid bones which in theory would have given the possible abilty to speak. As Toddy says they must've been pretty close, in fact there are phenotypes of humans out there I'd consider more alien looking to what the neanderthals supposedly looked like.

Shame they were Purple with Green Stripes though.... Stood out a mile...

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
There's something very odd there; does not compute.

To interbreed to create fertile offspring, then the two species must really be incredibly close. It just doesn't work otherwise.
The human cline ranges from tall, snow white skin and hair with blue eyes, right the way to the dark, virtually hairless skins and small stature of the Andaman islanders. From the Australian aborigines to the Inuit; and we can all interbreed successfully.
We are one species despite the apparantly obvious huge differences.

Neanderthals must have been very, very, close.

cheers,
M

There are some evolutionary anthropologists that claim that there wasn't any 'hybridisation' between the Neanderthals & Homo Sapiens & that the genes we share were inherited from a common ancestor......................but then there are others that claim that & bit of hanky panky did go on but not as much as we thought & certainly not enough to alter either our genome nor evolution.......................much like with the begining of the universe(s) theory, this Neanderthal/human interbreeding debate will continue, we'll never know for sure anyway.
These learned institutions have to justify their income so pop out a 'ground breaking ' theory every now & again........................like the laughable reason why our finger tips turn to prunes when immersed in water that the scientists came up with a few months ago......bless 'em.

juttle

Nomad
Feb 27, 2012
Devon
Are those the one's that only seem to communicate by chanting 'EEEeeeaaaaggggllleees, EEEaaaaggllleesss, Eagles,' at each other around 11:00 pm on Saturdays?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Ever wondered about Chuck Norris ? :D

naenderthal-prop.jpg

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Cant be or we wouldn't be able to interbreed and have fertile offspring. Interbreeding of closely related species produces infertile offspring. Take the Liger as an example.:)

EDIT.... i see Mary already pointed that out :)

Which in itself raises a whole lotta interesting information for both white and black supremacist groups to go crazy about. Maybe white and black humans actually are two distinct species! Wouldn't that be a turn-up for the books.............

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Have edited as there is some bad content on the link. Sorry to mods I'd only been cherry picking from it.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry to be pedantic Goatboy, but that fellow's site is incredibly biased.....and if his first premise is correct he's effectively saying that we could successfully breed with chimps, bonobos and gorillas, and ......let's just not go there.

Bits of what he's saying are correct but he mixes it in with some truly bad science :sigh:

Find another link ? :) please ?

atb,
M

Sorry Colin; I should have explained more clearly :eek: The site was promoting multi regional human development as opposed to the out of Africa theory; he wasn't paying attention to the details he was quoting in his push for persuasion.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A quick quote from Wiki that clears up things a bit without bringing in multiregional plurality.

"
With the discovery and study of fossil ancestors of modern humans the meaning of the word "human" changed, as the previously clear boundary between human and ape blurred, now encompassing multiple species. Today in scientific usage "human" may refer to any member of the genus Homo. Furthermore within Homo sapiens, there is a distinction between anatomically modern Homo sapiens and Archaic Homo sapiens, the earliest fossil members of the species. Sometimes groups such as the Neanderthals are classified as a subspecies of Homo sapiens - Homo sapiens neanderthalensis."

Mary

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
One thing from that article that is significant is the mention of neotony, the perpetuation of juvenile traits. Immature versions of a species can sometimes breed such as with the neotonic Axylotl which is a variation of the mature Salamander. I have wondered if the propensity for the irruption of wisdom teeth and the extra growth of hair in older people weren't symptoms of belated maturity. Just as childhood amongst humans is prolonged so might be old age or maturity.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
If we came from Ape's(evolved) why are we now a differant species? im mean we have evolved differantly as human beings eg those in the Northern hemisphere have evolved differant looks/ traits /tolerances etc from those in the southern but we share the same dna and are able to breed successfully.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
He's not too fond of DNA. Lucky for him that aliens had such close matching DNA to Earth primates (and even frogs, come to think of it!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE