Name change? - Charity

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Lol, well when you come fix my roof I'll bring you cups of tea out every hour, how does that sound? :)

I dont believe your actually in Yorkshire long enough to make a cup of tea mate ha ha, your starting to get a better Scottish accent than me Rich. Maybe thats how i could raise some money for CHAS, I could charge you a border tax everytime you cross the border into Scotland, in about 6 months time they could build another centre just on your trips north lol...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
next person to donate to CHAS to help terminally ill children, link below i will match that amount up to the value of £50. I know it looks as if we cant get the name/charity thing going, but i just think it would be a great thing if a great forum like this could offer something, even if its just an individual thing.

https://dnbweb1.blackbaud.com/OPXDONATE/AddDonor.asp?cguid=DDD3DF86-B6B9-4811-9C33-BFF23CD64148&sTarget=https%3A%2F%2Fdnbweb1.blackbaud.com%2FOPXDONATE%2Fdonate.asp%3Fcguid%3DDDD3DF86-B6B9-4811-9C33-BFF23CD64148%26dpid%3D16274&sid=E1F4B11D-7E47-4963-A6F8-15341777892A

Can I use Paypal Col, my retired kit fund needs distributing elsewhere

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Doesn't look like you can use paypal mate, i think its so they can get you to tick the tax gift aid thing so they dont have to pay tax on it. Im sure they will accept your platinum coated super duper maxed out credit card anyway mate lol

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Can i join BCAUK Col but stay here as well and keep my name on both ?

£10 winging it's way to CHAS . The people at CHAS do some wonderful work with those kids and deserve all the help they can get !

Craig...........

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
now col i could solve the problem in one of which charity do we choose in that as a collective we make a list and ech year is another charity on the list and when we get to the bottem of it we start again and in regards to the overload work for mods can we not have a specific mod to do the work instead of creating a work load for u all i.e if u want ur name changing u send a fiver to choosen charity and tell modd such and such and they change it and its there job to do so

please note i would be up for the job if u wanted me to do it and that way its solves all the issues obviously it would only be full members who could change there names and also were it says full member it will say there old name for a year so people get used to it.
also it should be that the mod who does the name changing wouldnt have to do out else

drew

Last edited:
i would add to that why cant we all and there are hundreds here just on this forum find a single point to donate shoe boxes to as well as some cash in the christmas fund for the kids.

if i remeber there are shoe box collections for romania ( dodgy!!)
shoe boxes for thailand and the phillipenes also iffy
shoe boxes for the help the hero lads, over subscribed

some where in africa would be cool, does anyone know a school we could supply stuff to or somewhere in europe would be good if it was NOT A CON or ghost school/orphanage.

if over the year we all donate a fiver, 50 p a month even i can afford and i am on the dole and a shoe box of poundland toys and the like is only going to cost me a fiver again. then we send the lot out either in batches or drip feed durring the year

what i was suggesting was the power that a forum as a whole could make, say there are several hundred people that all donate a quid thats a large amount of money that was all.

i total aggre with the CHAS choice, one because it is a local charity and i have seen first hand how curroupt the main ones are especialy in affrica ( I will never ever never, give to any charity that sends money to africa, shoe boxes yes, money no)
secondly as someone who has been through cancer wards the worst part has to be watching the kids go through the same stuff thats knocking ten bells out of me

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
now col i could solve the problem in one of which charity do we choose in that as a collective we make a list and ech year is another charity on the list and when we get to the bottem of it we start again and in regards to the overload work for mods can we not have a specific mod to do the work instead of creating a work load for u all i.e if u want ur name changing u send a fiver to choosen charity and tell modd such and such and they change it and its there job to do so

please note i would be up for the job if u wanted me to do it and that way its solves all the issues obviously it would only be full members who could change there names and also were it says full member it will say there old name for a year so people get used to it.
also it should be that the mod who does the name changing wouldnt have to do out else

drew

Drew, you have put it written it down better than i ever could off and i for one see this as an easily workable solution. I know the mods run things here and they do it so well, but could someone who knows how to sort out a poll, set one up to see if most people would be in favour of the system that Drew has came up with, for surely if the majority would like to do this, then it should be, as it is all our forum.

Thanks also to Craig (Bojit) for his donation to CHAS, i will match this fully and send my donation to them straight away. Your a good lad Craig.

Hedgerowpete, sorry to hear you have suffered from this terrible disease and i hope you have got it in remission, but you are fully right, there is nothing worse than seeing a small child, who hasnt had the chance to live their life yet passing away at such a young age and if a charity can make their oh so little time on this earth more special by giving them and their parents all the support possible, then i think this would be a wonderful charity to support, but as Drew rightly says this is our forum and we could easily set up a poll to see what charities we would like to support and each year, support a new one.

Last edited:

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I do like this idea - i know it's a "mare" to manage, but sometimes the right thing, and the hardest thing, are the same thing!

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I do like this idea - i know it's a "mare" to manage, but sometimes the right thing, and the hardest thing, are the same thing!

Seems to be a lot of support for this one, can anyone reading about this, please give their opinion on it, either yes or no and that way we may get this one up and running

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Seems to be a lot of support for this one, can anyone reading about this, please give their opinion on it, either yes or no and that way we may get this one up and running

No.

BCUK's policy is not to change a username unless there's a valid reason (privacy, dodgy username, etc.) - postcount is a keyfactor, as per definition cunfusion submerges after a name change. A username is your online identity, therefor it should be chosen wisely when signing up. If you don't, you simply have to live with it, simples. Creating a second username (new account) will earn a permanent ban ;)

In the past we had dedicated Mods for subfora (a Mod for Kit Chatter, one for Edged Tools, another for Bushcraft Chatter, etc.), it didn't work out as Mods have a life outside the forum. Some can't access the forum on a daily basis, so work that had to be done in those sections was left undone. Same eventually goes for a dedicated Mod for changing usernames (which ATM is something only Admin can do). And you don't want to do the same thing over and over, as it gets dull.
Once a month I go through Kit Chatter & Bushcraft Chatter and move all threads that are posted in the wrong section ... On average I move between 75-100 threads a month, simply because people don't read or think and simply bung on a thread ... Moving threads is boring ... very boring ...

Though I like the idea of donating a fiver to charity for a change of a username - as charity is something we encourage. As an Admin I'm here to keep up the website, to advice the Boss which direction we have to go with the forum and how to make it pay for itself (a forum does cost money: server costs, software updates, etc). By giving members the option to change their username if they donate to charity, we basically undercut ourselves. Forum resources are used to generate money, but not for the forum.

We're not against charity on BCUK, though we don't want the forum to be flooded with all sorts of charity thingies running at the same time. This is still a bushcraft website, not charity ...

Having one dedicated charity a year might also influence members individual endeavors (think the Jojo's daughter bike ride, Mrs. MagiKelly marathon, etc.). I think supporting endeavors, run by our own members, would be more appealing as these members are one of us.

Now, technically this thread turned from a discussion thread about usernames / charity into 'give to CHAS' thread. To run such a thread you need the OK from the Boss, though he'll be back in the New Year. It's Tony's forum, so he likes to know what's done and which charities are chosen. If he doesn't like it, you wont get permission.

Since he isn't available and CHAS is a charity that has to do with children, and he likes kids, I'll give you the OK to run it. But try not to come across as if you're pushing it (and don't let it run for too long). I know you are enthousiastic about this cause and simply trying to stir folks natural philanthropism - which is cool.

HTH

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a thought too..........instead of donating to a specific charity, what could be done is to contribute to a fund set up by bushcraft companies (I haven't run this past any of them, Wayne, Patrick, Pete, etc., I hasten to add, they might not be up for this) and have them offer to run a short course for children and families who are in the circumstances such as CHAS ?
Lots of holidays like Disney and Alton Towers, but what about the green reality of woodlands, woodsmoke, campfire cooking, and creative hands and minds ? They could probably use volunteer help too.......I know many of the members have the paperwork, training and assurances that allow them to be employed to work with children and vulnerable adults.

Just another thought in the mix.

atb,
Mary

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
No.

BCUK's policy is not to change a username unless there's a valid reason (privacy, dodgy username, etc.) - postcount is a keyfactor, as per definition cunfusion submerges after a name change. A username is your online identity, therefor it should be chosen wisely when signing up. If you don't, you simply have to live with it, simples. Creating a second username (new account) will earn a permanent ban ;)

In the past we had dedicated Mods for subfora (a Mod for Kit Chatter, one for Edged Tools, another for Bushcraft Chatter, etc.), it didn't work out as Mods have a life outside the forum. Some can't access the forum on a daily basis, so work that had to be done in those sections was left undone. Same eventually goes for a dedicated Mod for changing usernames (which ATM is something only Admin can do). And you don't want to do the same thing over and over, as it gets dull.
Once a month I go through Kit Chatter & Bushcraft Chatter and move all threads that are posted in the wrong section ... On average I move between 75-100 threads a month, simply because people don't read or think and simply bung on a thread ... Moving threads is boring ... very boring ...

Though I like the idea of donating a fiver to charity for a change of a username - as charity is something we encourage. As an Admin I'm here to keep up the website, to advice the Boss which direction we have to go with the forum and how to make it pay for itself (a forum does cost money: server costs, software updates, etc). By giving members the option to change their username if they donate to charity, we basically undercut ourselves. Forum resources are used to generate money, but not for the forum.

We're not against charity on BCUK, though we don't want the forum to be flooded with all sorts of charity thingies running at the same time. This is still a bushcraft website, not charity ...

Having one dedicated charity a year might also influence members individual endeavors (think the Jojo's daughter bike ride, Mrs. MagiKelly marathon, etc.). I think supporting endeavors, run by our own members, would be more appealing as these members are one of us.

Now, technically this thread turned from a discussion thread about usernames / charity into 'give to CHAS' thread. To run such a thread you need the OK from the Boss, though he'll be back in the New Year. It's Tony's forum, so he likes to know what's done and which charities are chosen. If he doesn't like it, you wont get permission.

Since he isn't available and CHAS is a charity that has to do with children, and he likes kids, I'll give you the OK to run it. But try not to come across as if you're pushing it (and don't let it run for too long). I know you are enthousiastic about this cause and simply trying to stir folks natural philanthropism - which is cool.

HTH

No probs Johan, i will let this thread run its natural course, i have absolutely no connection to CHAS, as i explained in an earlier post, my wee boy was in for an operation at the sick kids hospital recently and i seen a lot of poorly kids there and the idea came to me, CHAS is a Scottish charity that is well known up here for their good work, so as it was the only one i knew thats why i suggested it, but any worthy charity would have done.

You do make some valid points Johan, and i dont want to be seen to be pushing a charity down peoples throat and you are right it is a bushcraft forum, so i will let this one rest and apologise to anyone offended by it.

Happy new year

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE