Name change? - Charity

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Over the last few years ive noticed quite a few posts about people regretting their names that they use on the forum but not being able to change the name because of the chaos it would cause.

How about if we came up with a scheme where you could change your user name if you made, say a £5 donation to a charity like CHAS, The childrens hospice for terminally ill children or some other good charity that would help sick kids.

Now i know that name changes can confuse things, but surely it would be really easy to set up a new name with your old name appearing under it (where the full member etc appears) for a few months until people get used to your new name.

This money could sit in an Account that Tony or anyone else in the god like status of admin/moderator could set up and once a year at xmas we could donate a sizable ammount to a worth cause.

Even if this was a non starter for the name change, wouldnt it be nice to set up a wee charity for the sick kids of the uk that we as a forum could adopt as our personal charity and in the karmic scale of things it might balance things up for all the money we spend on shiney knives etc.

Now i know times are hard just now and i really dont want to set anything up that will force or make people who are struggling with the current times to feel they are being forced into giving money to a charity, cause every one else is, thats why i came up with the idea of a donation for a name change or some other manner of this great friendly community giving something back to a worthy cause.

Please let me know your views on this or if some one else has an even better idea, then please share it and lets see if we could get something up and running.

I also hope i havent started something that would be a nightmare for Tony and his wonderful mods - over to you guys and girls for your views on this one.

P.S We could also make it that only full members could change their names so to simplify things and also that means that the forum and a charity would be boosted financially.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a nice idea Colin :) but.........and it's a big but, name changes cause horrendous confusion, and if it were multiple name changes throughout the forum ? ye gods but that could be machievelian to sort through.
There are good reasons why it's incredibly restricted.

On the charity front :D and other good idea :) but...........it's one of those never please everybody one.
CHAS is a Scottish charity, while childhospiceUK doesn't really cover up here........bit like the RSSPCA and RSPCA.
The major issue is how do we choose ? How do we turn down a worthy cause in favour of another one ?

Generally we try not to have the forum flooded with charity sponsorships and persistant opportuning, but........ and it's a good one this time :D we do pass on requests from long term members who are involved with fundraising (like Jojo's daughter's sponsored bike ride for the homeless). Help the Heroes was also recently a focus, with many members ex-forces it seemed very appropriate.

No idea how to pick one charity, but I can see the reasoning to have one that's the major one that the forum helps over a year.

I'll flag this thread for the Boss to have a looksee; he's usually got a pretty good idea on things like this :D

cheers,
M

i would add to that why cant we all and there are hundreds here just on this forum find a single point to donate shoe boxes to as well as some cash in the christmas fund for the kids.

if i remeber there are shoe box collections for romania ( dodgy!!)
shoe boxes for thailand and the phillipenes also iffy
shoe boxes for the help the hero lads, over subscribed

some where in africa would be cool, does anyone know a school we could supply stuff to or somewhere in europe would be good if it was NOT A CON or ghost school/orphanage.

if over the year we all donate a fiver, 50 p a month even i can afford and i am on the dole and a shoe box of poundland toys and the like is only going to cost me a fiver again. then we send the lot out either in batches or drip feed durring the year

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i would suggest that giving to charity is a personal thing and should be kept a choice for the individual.

as Toddy so rightly points out......you cant please all the people all the time and i can only see it ending in tears at a later date.

very thoughtful idea though, and i'm sure many many folk on here already donate to their charity of choice.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
With regards to the name changing. I understand if people have made a mistake in the spelling of there name and want to correct it but to change it completely, you picked it to start with.

The charity part I agree with if everyone can agree on where the money should be given.

I have a better (IMHO) idea. Sponsored avatar / id picture change.
You challenge a mate by saying "I'll pay £10 to charity if you change your avatar to this thumbnail of this ugly fat baby" etc.
They would have to keep the pic for one month. B. G. critics could be challenge to use a nice pic of BG himself, a Man U fan could be sponsored to use a nice Man City pic etc etc.
Otherwise just find really embarrassing thumbnails and offer to pay £X to charity if anyone uses it as their avatar for all of Jan?
I agree choice of charity is tricky, but maybe something like children in need or help for heroes?

Last edited:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Some good suggestions already and some valid points made by members and mods(Toddy), just thought it would be a really nice idea if we could put our collective power as a collective together to help some really good causes, and i know giving to charity is a personal thing, but no one would be making any one give any thing they didnt want to, it would be a purely personal thing to give or not to give.

We could make it a once a year thing and as regards to which charity to give to , we all love our polls on here, dont we ha ha, so we could put a poll together and the forum members could vote on it and then an agreed charity would be the better off, for all the generous people on here that i know exist.

But as i say i not trying to force anyone to do anything they dont want to do, i was just putting out an idea that would benifit charity/members and the forum and its already wonderful existing reputation as one of the best forums about...

And if you dont want to do it, then Bah Humbug to you lol........I will start my rival forum Bushcraft Alcoholics uk and i will get you all drunk and rob your pockets when you pass out blind drunk, so with that dire threat hanging over the mods they will surely have to get something going....

Happy New Year Guys and Girls

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao: Happy New Year to you too :D

It's not a bad idea Colin, just a bit hard to get it working without becoming a pain rather than a benefit, iimmc.

I'm inclined to keep most of my charity offerings to ones local and relevant. The local cancer charity that took my son to his chemo and radio therapy appointments, and now takes my 89 year old uncle to his, for instance

Tell you what........there's a CHAS in Balloch, isn't there ? near you ?
How about you and Jace and company do a sponsored walk/hike/climb/canoe and folks chip in a fiver in support ? If you do it through justgiving or the like then the whole sum should go to your total sum.

Just an idea :)
atb

Mary

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
where do i sign up for BCAUK ? sounds right up my street !

I Warned you Mods, your power base is crumbling around you, BCAUK Is officially international with 2 members ha ha, just another 20,000 members to go and The great white Welsh bear (Tony) will be finished, i love it when a cunning plan come together.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
:lmao: Happy New Year to you too :D

It's not a bad idea Colin, just a bit hard to get it working without becoming a pain rather than a benefit, iimmc.

I'm inclined to keep most of my charity offerings to ones local and relevant. The local cancer charity that took my son to his chemo and radio therapy appointments, and now takes my 89 year old uncle to his, for instance

Tell you what........there's a CHAS in Balloch, isn't there ? near you ?
How about you and Jace and company do a sponsored walk/hike/climb/canoe and folks chip in a fiver in support ? If you do it through justgiving or the like then the whole sum should go to your total sum.

Just an idea :)
atb

Mary

Well i am due to do Lands end to John O'groats in April, so i may consider that idea, dont know if i could live with the pressure of not being able to finish it and letting a charity down in that way, but i will certainly think about it Mary

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Since this one looks a no go, i thought the least i could do was put my money where my mouth is and donated a tenner to CHAS, Its a charity that provide an hospice for terminally ill children and allows the parents to stay overnight with their children before they pass.

Dear Mr newman:
Thank you for your generous donation of £10.00, paid with your Visa. Without the support of people like you, Children's Hospice Association Scotland would not be able to offer our essential services to families across Scotland.
Once again, thank you for your continued support.
Sincerely,
Children's Hospice Association Scotland

I am not trying to force anyone to make a donation or showing off, i only hope to inspire and give people the idea of maybe making a donation to their favourite charity at this time of year and i am most definitely not starting this OP in order to start a debate or fight, so take this as you see it, either make a donation to a worthy charity of your choice or if thats not your thing just bypass this thread, lets not start a fight about it.

I wish you all a merry xmas and a happy new year and many thanks for all the enjoyment everyone has given me on this forum in the past year.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Make that 3 members.

So this is what you get up to when you can't find anymore kit to buy :lmao: on a serious note though it's a good feeling giving to a charity you feel close to. Well done mate :D

Thanks Scott, nice of you to say so and yes it does feel good to give to a cause that helps wee toddlers that dont have much time on the planet, my wee boy was in Yorkhill sick kids hospital for a wee operation recently (nothing really serious) but i saw some of the wee kids in there and it would break your heart so i thought it would be a good thing for once if i used my money for them rather than for personal shiney buying. Ive decided i am going to try to donate something every month if i can afford it, about time i stopped being a spendthrift.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

For £500 Rich, i would expect to have myself a Yorkshire man servant to keep my Glasweigan man servant company ha ha, but with the age of the 2 of you now, maybe 2 of you would make one decent man servant.

Lol, well when you come fix my roof I'll bring you cups of tea out every hour, how does that sound? :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE