My favourite knife - Od Hickory

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Not long - this picture was taken when it was new.

But I love it. Like most households, I have loads of kitchen knives, but ths is the only kitchen knife I feel comfortable using outdoors. It is tough as nails. You could chop a tree down with it!

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Yes I bought this knife after seeing it on the pit boys channel! They have been making ths knife for a long long time - maybe 100 years. 1095 carbon steel. I love the pattern on the metal too.

The pit boys use terms for everything. Cutting, stirring, you name it.

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
There are thousands of these for sale in charity style shops in America, i've got a realy old one sent to me by an American site member.

Rob

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
I woud love to get an old one. Mine is a 10 inch butchers knife. Note how mine has two rivets in the handle. On the pit boys video the same knife has 3 rivets. Possibly because theirs is 70 years old! Something to look out for if buying one as an antique.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Congratulations on getting a great knife, always fancied one myself but never actually pulled the trigger, what are the specs please, particularly blade thickness?

As an afterthought, further congratulations on getting a delivery from www.bronzemoonoutdoors.co.uk be careful if you use them again, as they have shocking rep on this forum and British Blades, you are one of the lucky ones.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Just had a read through some of the threads on Bronzemoon. I didn't realise so many people had problems. I bought two Old Hickories, and a couple of Opinel knives from them without any issue. Well, the one Old Hickory took a bit longer to get to me than the other knives, but otherwise OK. Still no excuse for poor customer service/communication. I will certainly be a bit more circumspect when/if I order from them again.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Not perfect edges by any means. They cut, but not razor sharp. You will need to sharpen, but the 1095 carbon steel is fairly easy to sharpen.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
We bought a small Old Hickory kitchen knife when we were camping across the States back in the 70's. I made a sheath for it and my wife had it in her hand bag for years until she replaced it with a Laguiole legal EDC. We keep it in the van now as a cooking and backup knife. Lovely little thing- easy to sharpen, takes a good edge and a generally good allrounder. My only dislike is a rather square-section handle that would be uncomfortable when using for a long time. If I really cared it would be easy to sand down to a better profile.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've got an older (about 25 years) 4 knife set hanging over the kitchen sink. Similar to this 5 knife one: www.knife-depot.com/knife-294571.html Mine has a 7 inch chef's knife rather than the butcher's knife and doesn't have the 3.25 inch paring knife. I also have a newer (about 3 years) butcher knife in the kitchen drawer. I've loved these knives and don't think I could actually cook without them. But then when I was growing up, Old Hickory was pretty much what everybody had.

belabear

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2008
Austria
bought one on the bahamas years ago, as it wasn´t used enough in the kitchen i pimped it up and gifted it to a friend

P1020776small.jpg

good quality for a reasonable price

cheers belabear

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE