Wooden knife Scales?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I'm thinking of buying a TBS knife with a Turkish Walnut handle, but tbh the only wooden handled folder I've owned was a small pruning knife from my Grand father, And well let's just say it had a hard life.
So how much care do they need ?.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Some of us use Opinels in all sorts of conditions and weather. Mine are fine :) One it’s slightly scorched but that’s all.
All I ever do is to dry them out thoroughly when I get back home before dropping them into the drawer.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I'm thinking of buying a TBS knife with a Turkish Walnut handle, but tbh the only wooden handled folder I've owned was a small pruning knife from my Grand father, And well let's just say it had a hard life.
So how much care do they need ?.
Ive got a TBS Wildcat with Walnut scales, the scales don't take any more looking after than any other wooden scaled/handled knife ive owned, i just keep the thing clean and oil the scales i suppose about once a month and all seems to be "A ok"

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Rancid boiled linseed oil ok I'll remember that tip and wow I'm glad we haven't got smelling vision.
I totally understand the reason for letting the Scales breath I wasn't sure if after how ever long I should do this, when I did oil them I didn't want to drown them in the wrong thing.
How hot ? do you let it apply it cool ?.
Cheers

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Rancid boiled linseed oil ok I'll remember that tip and wow I'm glad we haven't got smelling vision.
I totally understand the reason for letting the Scales breath I wasn't sure if after how ever long I should do this, when I did oil them I didn't want to drown them in the wrong thing.
How hot ? do you let it apply it cool ?.
Cheers
Use it straight out of the bottle, wipe it on, leave it for a little while and wipe off the excess - job done.

Reactions: Laurentius

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
You buy the oil already boiled in bottles and apply it cold

Sent from underground

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
Boiled linseed oil used to be, well, boiled, but these days it just has chemical driers added to get it to harden within a reasonable time scale. If you use raw linseed oil, you'll be waiting for it to harden 'til doomsday. Alternatives might be a danish oil type, with a varnish oil mix, that'll give a shinier finish, faster. The old rule of thumb for oil finishes is once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and once a year for the rest of its (or your) life. For a working tool handle, some oil when it starts to feel like it needs it is probably the best guide.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE