Hickory timber supplier ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I’ve bought some half decent boards from Yandles down here in Somerset, in my case for bows or bow backings. So I’ve been fairly fussy about grain etc. If you’re making handles you could be be a bit less strict which would help as you’d be ordering online I suppose.

Reactions: mikehill

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Thanks guy. I did see that board but it was way too big for my needs. I’ll see if something turns up, and if not, will get some ash.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I bought my first hickory board from Timberline in Kent, don't think they do them any more. Not sure where I got my second. I know I hand picked the first. I wanted it for making a self bow, so all one piece of wood, no laminating. Had a hell of a job finding a flat-ringed board. I know now this wasn't necessary for the bow (fibre parallel to back, but ring orientation less important). The second board was less flat ringed than the first and the explanation was that the boards are imported for bowyers, who being English make "traditional" bows by laminating hickory with various tropical hard woods ;) and almost invariably turn their hickory into 1 to 1.5 inch wide, 1/8 to 1/4 inch strips, and ring orientation isn't something they care about much. So finding a board that is thick enough for an axe, and has grain in the classic "ideal" orientation could be a lost cause, or at least a costly one.

If you haven't carved an axe handle (or similar tool handle) before, ever mind being a dab hand at hanging them, I would recommend ash over hickory. Hickory is nicer to work than ash in that the early wood in ash makes getting smooth faces difficult in some places, but it would really suck to find a rare bit of wood and make a beginner's goof. I did okay with the last two ash chop tool handles I did, but my hammer handle before that could be better, and while my parang handle is fine now, it is the third iteration. That is with all the tools, and a fair bit of practice with knife handles.

Best of luck! Do show pictures when it is done :D

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
There are US companies online that sell Hickory tool handles. If you have a special project in mind one may serve as a blank.
My bucksaw, Akka axe, hiking staff and custom knife all use Hickory. It’s not as flashy as others, but incredibly strong and stable.
But from a practical perspective Ash is more appropriate.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
There are US companies online that sell Hickory tool handles. If you have a special project in mind one may serve as a blank.
Yup, there's lots of US companies that do that but it would cost the OP a small fortune to one of them to post it over

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE