My custom tomahawk is now finished!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thanks for the continued kind words! :)

Overall weight is 650grams and the head is about 330grams! Very light but a mean cutter.

To get the polished head you need to first remove the forging marks, I do this with the angle grinder and a worn 120 grit flap disc. A fresh disc will leave orbital scratches and I used a medium grit normal sand paper to dull them down then gave it a few minutes on a pair of buffing wheels. Ithe wheels and buffing soap cost less than a tenner and cover 'grinding marks' to final polish.

The head isn't mirror polish, but it does reflect colours and such. If you want mirror polish you need to knuckle down through the grits and that will takes hours!!

My brother now 'needs' an axe like this. I offered to do it all but I suggested he come over for a weekend and we do it together and I'll just chip in with advice as and when needed. He has decided he might like to keep his spike, but make it rounded and the blade more bearded.

My next one will be the Norse hawk! Done right they too can look very nice, OTB they look a bit crap but we all know effort = reward!

lathe dog

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Middlesex
Thats a fine Job Samon.

I'm now extremely tempted to do the same with mine, makes it a far more useable and appealing shape.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Wow! You've certainly turned that ugly duckling into a swan! Superb work. Did it take you long?

It took a few hours and a little on and off time between ordering bits. Nothing you can't do in one go with a few tools though!

With anything its hard to time your efforts, but with all the tools there and 4 hours you'd easily get it done.

Thanks again dudes.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Right, I'm tempted to buy another to transform. But!

What model from the Cold Steel line should I acquire next?? I'll likely end up swapping it on here after a few months of having it anyway lol, so what model do you guys want to see get dolled up?

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Yup, I like that a lot. Must admit I've been thinking of blacking my own handles recently.
Im guessing it's no different than a normal wood handle?

Did it affect the fit of the head?

All the best
Andy

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
Yep, that looks hot! I have the lighter 'Trail hawk' myself but have always regretted buying after seeing Bushcraft Bartons (Canadian youtube bushcrafter) do this same modification. That said, he managed to cut the spike off at a wonky angle and it looked nothing like yours. You could see he was pi##ed off about it!

Btw, you still torn with your Hulators vs GFB dilemma? The latter make their own 'hawk and its a steal at £150 something (!)

Nice work mate,

T

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yup, I like that a lot. Must admit I've been thinking of blacking my own handles recently.
Im guessing it's no different than a normal wood handle?

Did it affect the fit of the head?

All the best
Andy

I didn't notice any shrinkage, probably because I apply oil right away to get it drawn in deeper.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Wow, what a transformation. Beautiful work. goodjob

Thank you!

I have just ordered a Norse hawk. If anyone is interested I can and will do a more detailed work in progress thread. As this one will be a gift it won't be up for trade in 18 days like usual lol, but if takes anyone's interest I can of course trade my handy work for needed goods! ;)

Should be here by monday and I'll crack on asap.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE