My first self forged knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
I made a knife under the guidance of someone who knows what he's doing which was a lovely experience. It kind of went where it wanted which was weird but still ended up as usable. I also tried with a bit of stainless rebar which was horrendously hard.
Uri Hofi has a dvd on how to use the hammer he sells which is not big, but his "system" I think is meant to cover pretty much anything without heavy thumping and so no arm damage. Not seen it myself, but have tried his hammer which was recommended at the time.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I revisited my self-forged knife over the last few days, having decided it needed some modifications.
I am one for over-tinkering with things. I reshaped the spine with a dremmel plus sanding attachment, to remove the prominent part to the spine and bring the point down. I also reshaped the handle so it sits in the hand better. I oiled the whole lot with walnut oil because that's what's in my cupboard. The result is a lighter and more comfortable knife. The point is also now in line with the top of the handle.
I don't know if anyone has seen that Father Ted episode where he tries to hammer a dent out of his car but puts another two dents in with every blow of the hammer...
Unfortunately I managed to dremmel the cutting edge, somehow. I've got it back to razor sharp though so it's ok. Cutting edge is 20 degrees give or take a degree or two.
Next job, a leather sheath. No idea where to start with that.

Before

After

Reactions: Kiri and SaraR

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE