Midlands Meet May 2008

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Hi all im back on line again so I will be contributing to the forums a lot more regularly than of late,,,is it alright if I decide to use my 2man tent instead of the hammock if the weathers not to good as I still don't have a under blanket and I want to do the 3 days in relative comfort ( im at that age) is that ok, either way I'll see you all there

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi all im back on line again so I will be contributing to the forums a lot more regularly than of late .....

Good to hear that :)

..... is it alright if I decide to use my 2man tent instead of the hammock .....

Of course it's ok, the only thing that would really cause us problems is if everyone turned up with a 10 meter diameter tipi-type thing - and I've a contigency plan for that now too :lmao:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I'd LOVE to come! provided your not full up of course! I dont have much gear at the moment, but Im going to start buying things now I have more free time on my hands, so whats best - a tent for a beginner? Where is the exact location, I'd have to be on public transport

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I'd LOVE to come! provided your not full up of course! I dont have much gear at the moment, but Im going to start buying things now I have more free time on my hands, so whats best - a tent for a beginner? Where is the exact location, I'd have to be on public transport

to answer for decorum here is a link to the venue http://www.roughclose.org.uk/
im pretty sure places will still be available hope this helps and just for the record tents are for everyone not just newbies

skint

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2007
Leicestershire
We are away the following bank holiday weekend and can't be away this weekend too. (Dogs and other commitments) but would like to come for the day on either Saturday or Sunday. Would be 4 of us. Perhaps for the Spit Roast. Yummy. Don't think the dates or the Spit Roast day are set yet?

Paul

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire

Hi firecrest,

You're most welcome to come along (as are all). The best kit is what you're most comfortable using and there'll be plenty of space for those in tents, bivvies and hammocks. If you PM me (or post) what you're thinking of as your initial buys I'll see what I can hunt out as I have a couple of spare bits and pieces knocking about (to borrow not buy). I've quoted the initial post for you so you can see, more easily, the relevant info. Tile Hill railway station (National Rail Journey Planner) is just down the road from the site, as are a couple of bus stops (Route 32 to Tanyard Farm is the quickest and nearest to the site).

Following on from this thread

Meet date: 16 - 17 - 18 May 2008.

Location is Rough Close Campsite.

Price is £3.60 per person per night.

Family friendly - so your youngsters are welcome!

EDIT: This meet is now on the Event Calendar

Dragged here from post#5 - EDIT (again!)
Talking of monies :D

Can people please bring a bit of spare change rather than just notes - I have to use public transport to get to work during the week.....

It's a family friendly site and the only thing I ask of those that come along to Meets is that they aren't a threat (potential or otherwise) to the health and well being of other site users.

im pretty sure places will still be available ..... tents are for everyone not just newbies

Thanks woostock and absolutely correct.

We are away the following bank holiday weekend and can't be away this weekend too. (Dogs and other commitments) but would like to come for the day on either Saturday or Sunday. Would be 4 of us. Perhaps for the Spit Roast. Yummy. Don't think the dates or the Spit Roast day are set yet?

Paul

I think we'll let you off missing the Meet :D after all, you've been a stalwart. Day visits aren't a problem - but there is a day visit fee (listed in the 'price' link). I think that the Spit-Roast will probably be late afternoon/early evening on the Saturday; you'll be welcome to pop up, whichever day you choose.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Late? Late would be enquiring after the event :D . Just copy, paste and add yourself to the list - the most recent is in post #35.

May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
SWMBO has spoken...... after treating herself to a blow up mat she now wants to come.

I'd be up for some archery, is this pay on the day as well?

decorum - hammock
wallenstein - tent
Scrumpy + Scrumpy jr - amuks + Mrs Scrumpy - Tent

Cobweb + Bramble + 2 littleuns (total 4) - hammocks -
Archery: 4
Spit Roast: hunk of pork(most likely)/carrots/parsnips/potatoes.

WhichDoctor - tent
Bodge + 1 or 2 kids floor and or hammocks.
T1tch - Hammock
Bushcraft bailey - hammock (poss 1 kid - Tent)
Mesquite - tent (if there's room for a Newbie)
woodstock 1 hammock and tarp
PJ McBear - Hammock/tundra/bivi - weather dependant.
Wayland - Hammock and mega tarp probably.
Gwhtbushcraft - hammock + Dad - tent
Maverick Moocher-hammock or bivi

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I know this might be a bit OT but Granddad used to smear honey onto trees as bait for the little roe deer he used to hunt... Just a thought.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK

Just a thought... there's no "approved" list of bushcraft equipment - that's rather the point of it! - so I wouldn't rush out and buy loads of gear right away.

A small tent will be fine for a May weekend - and you'll be able to see all sorts of other options (bivis, hammocks etc) to see which will fit you best. Most folks will be more than happy to let you try lying in a hammock etc, and you may find that you just don't get on with them.

Depending on what you have already, I'd grab a cheap Frosts Clipper knife online and a small tent, and maybe a couple of cheapo cooking pots, and then over the weekend keep a note of anything you really like the look of.

"The more you know, the less you carry" :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
..... any chance for doing a bit of archery? .....
- and to Scrumpy too!

We've now had confirmation :D . What time would you prefer the archery? There are three sessions in morning 10 - 11, 11 - 12, 12 - 1 and three in the afternoon 2 - 3, 3 - 4, 4 - 5? Sorry to rush you but I'd prefer to get this booked in before tomorrow night as I'm away until Monday evening and I don't want to mess you about if someone else books up over the weekend.

The pitch we'll be on is PC 11 (Which looks a bit like a nostril on the site's map :eek: - ) . This is the site's 'back to basics' area and is an area I had a big hand in developing - and is one of my favourite places on site to chill out.

EDIT: Whilst I'm thinking - although PC 11 doesnt look very big from the inside (or, for that matter, the outside) it was designed that way and is approx 150 m by 100 m.

Scrumpy

Forager
Mar 18, 2008
Silverstone
www.predatorsport.co.uk
Cobweb, thanks for the idea but I hope it doesn't come to sharing my honey, I'm a little possessive over it....
Wallenstein, agreed, there will be plenty of spare kicking about I'm sure!
Decorum, I'm easy on the time, really don't mind. Might be nice to do it in the afternoon though, get dinner cooking and go for a play, come back to some hot food!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
We've now had confirmation :D . What time would you prefer the archery? There are three sessions in morning 10 - 11, 11 - 12, 12 - 1 and three in the afternoon 2 - 3, 3 - 4, 4 - 5? Sorry to rush you but I'd prefer to get this booked in before tomorrow night as I'm away until Monday evening and I don't want to mess you about if someone else books up over the weekend.

I know it doesn't help set a time but I'm happy to go with whatever the majority decide for a time.

The pitch we'll be on is PC 11 (Which looks a bit like a nostril on the site's map :eek: - ) . This is the site's 'back to basics' area and is an area I had a big hand in developing - and is one of my favourite places on site to chill out.

EDIT: Whilst I'm thinking - although PC 11 doesnt look very big from the inside (or, for that matter, the outside) it was designed that way and is approx 150 m by 100 m

Sounds like it's going to be a great spot for us all :) I'm really looking forward to the weekend as I need a break from crap I've been having at work lately.

Whilst I think of it I've got myself a SS stock pot for the chilli I offered to make, I just need to kn ow if there's anyone else who fancies a bowl full besides the others who have said they wish to try it.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
As previously mentioned: The best numbers - quality - cost ratio for an archery session is six (or, at a push, eight for those how know enough to get on and do it), as we now have six 'replies' I'll call a halt to the numbers joining that session - another session or more could be booked though.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Just a thought... there's no "approved" list of bushcraft equipment - that's rather the point of it! - so I wouldn't rush out and buy loads of gear right away.

A small tent will be fine for a May weekend - and you'll be able to see all sorts of other options (bivis, hammocks etc) to see which will fit you best. Most folks will be more than happy to let you try lying in a hammock etc, and you may find that you just don't get on with them.

Depending on what you have already, I'd grab a cheap Frosts Clipper knife online and a small tent, and maybe a couple of cheapo cooking pots, and then over the weekend keep a note of anything you really like the look of.

"The more you know, the less you carry" :)

Cheers for that. the reason Im wary of getting a tarp is that I went on a rock climbing course once and discovered to my horror I have near zero ability to learn to tie knots!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE