Rough Close Spring TORM Meet ~ 10 - 14 March 2016

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I'm just acquiring the wood for the meet or is that for the meat? UPDATE: I have a wonton bag of Chinese wude, working on another.

I'll set up the usual kitchen area (table, gas, stove, pans etc.) and do evening food for the TORM workers and whomever else wants to join in.

I'll bring some bring and buy bits and bobs with me too, ration packs, cookware, mini crabs, paracord etc.

I wonder if we can't fill the attendance list by next week. :)

Phil

Last edited:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet ... and include this line in the paste.

(The easy way to check out post #01 ~ clicky linky thing.)

01. decorum
02. Wayland
03. Bilmo (TBC)
04. Mesquite ~ Thu - Sun
05. Crosslandkelly ~ Thu - Sun.
06. Midnitehound ~ Thu - Mon
07. Rob ~ Thur - Mon (Confirmed)
08. Neil and Clare ~ Thu - Mon
09. Dasy2k1 ~ Fri - Sun
10. Dave Budd
11. Roy Budd
12. Mark & Abby (trader) ~ Thur - Sun (Confirned)
13. Rumpole_Stiltskin Fri-Sun (TBC)
14. Nomad64 Fri-Sun (TBC)
Extend as needed

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'm just acquiring the wood for the meet or is that for the meat? UPDATE: I have a wonton bag of Chinese wude, working on another.

What level of donation are you looking for? (just asking for the sake of it being in the thread and so I can edit into post #01; Where all will see it because they agree(d) to check it occasionally for important updates ... ;) ) Do any provisos count? ~ 'those who make _good use_ of the wood for warmth and or cooking' and in the past Steve has gone down the route of 'waived if you bring a good supply of quality burning wood' etc ...

I'll set up the usual kitchen area (table, gas, stove, pans etc.) and do evening food for the TORM workers and whomever else wants to join in.

How do you need notification? In the thread, via PM, just turn up with a bowl and eating irons/plastics/titaniums/woods? Which meals? Likely costs per meal?

I'll bring some bring and buy bits and bobs with me too, ration packs, cookware, mini crabs, paracord etc.

:cool: Do you want to set a time for non haggling or are you happy to not barter at any time for could be beer tokens?

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
What level of donation are you looking for? (just asking for the sake of it being in the thread and so I can edit into post #01; Where all will see it because they agree(d) to check it occasionally for important updates ... ;) ) Do any provisos count? ~ 'those who make _good use_ of the wood for warmth and or cooking' and in the past Steve has gone down the route of 'waived if you bring a good supply of quality burning wood' etc ...

How do you need notification? In the thread, via PM, just turn up with a bowl and eating irons/plastics/titaniums/woods? Which meals? Likely costs per meal?

:cool: Do you want to set a time for non haggling or are you happy to not barter at any time for could be beer tokens?

1. Acquiring two wonton bags of wood and having to use the van to transport it rather than bring the car obviously creates a fixed wonga cost. Looking at the likely number of attendees I'd be happy with £5-6 off people for the weekend. It is that or freeze rather than chill and stare into the abyss rather than the bushcraft tv.

2. Kind of suck it and see on site. To cover catering costs we are usually looking at £4-5 for an evening meal and associated nibbles. Depends whether we are having caviar or porridge! :p Entirely up to people whether they want to join in or boil their own noodles. I'll make a suggestion and people can say yay or nay.

3. Whhhhat? :confused: I'll bring some GB kind of shiny bits etc., if anyone wants them then some fiat currency with Lizzie's head on it is needed, although I do also take silver, gold and Bitcoin. I'm working on card payments but I'm struggling with the satellite up-link at the moment ;)

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2016
By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet ... and include this line in the paste.

01. decorum
02. Wayland
03. Bilmo (TBC)
04. Mesquite ~ Thu - Sun
09. Dasy2k1 ~ Fri - Sun
10. Dave Budd
11. Roy Budd
13. Nomad64 Fri-Sun (TBC)
Extend as needed

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Sorry to have lost you Rumpole_Stiltskin, but thanks for updating the list.

...if anyone wants them then some fiat currency ...

Of-cars we know what that means :p :rofl: :p

Was referring to a different thread ;)

But good Minionage! :D

img-thing

MT606

Nomad
Jan 17, 2013
North of the southern wall.
did TORM use to be free or am I getting it mixed up with another event where the organisers made a point of pointing out that people don't pay to go into shops to look around or buy things so why should people do the same for their event? (apart from parking fees ;-) )

m

Wayland

Hárbarðr
TORM has always charged.

They did it to finance an expensive venue where small independent traders could afford to get together in order to provide a market for a wide customer base at times of year when there was no other market or customer base.

Without that market, many of those small businesses would have ceased to exist years ago.

It's like this forum. It costs money to provide people with a service.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
did TORM use to be free or am I getting it mixed up with another event where the organisers made a point of pointing out that people don't pay to go into shops to look around or buy things so why should people do the same for their event? (apart from parking fees ;-) )

m

TORM has been running for 25 years and has always been a paid event (£4.50), most markets of this type are because the expensive to hire indoor venue has to be paid for without reaming the traders. Parking is free. :) Hope that helps.

http://reenactorsmarket.co.uk/#home

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
did TORM use to be free or am I getting it mixed up with another event

Both TORM and the International Living History Fair (ILHF*) have been pay to get in (but free car parking) for as long as I can remember. The National Living History Fair (NLHF) has been free to get into and, as far as I'm aware, has free parking. The ILHF is generally a couple of weekends after TORM. The NLHF *tends* to be the same weekend as TORM ~ and it's not that far up the same road (if you're going from the Meet to TORM). Part of the reasoning is to help justify long, potentially, expensive, trips by having two events on one weekend ~ can be harder on traders, but can increase the footfall ;) .

* I believe the ILHF is (or has) moved away from the Midlands.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though

01. decorum
02. Wayland
03. Bilmo (TBC)
04. Mesquite ~ Thu - Sun
09. Dasy2k1 ~ Fri - Sun
10. Dave Budd
11. Roy Budd
13. Nomad64 Fri-Sun (TBC)
14. TinkyPete (friday-Sunday)

I have some rope for the chute.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Bump to the top ... last few days in the ru up to the Meet and all that :cool:

Meet List:

(The easy way to check out post #01 ~ http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137720&page=2&p=1720308#post1720308 )

01. decorum
02. Wayland
03. Bilmo (TBC)
04. Mesquite ~ Thu - Sun
07. Rob ~ Thur - Mon
09. Dasy2k1 ~ Fri - Sun
10. Dave Budd
11. Roy Budd
12. Mark & Abby (trader) ~ Thur - Sun
13. Nomad64 ~ Fri - Sun (TBC)
14. TinkyPete ~ Friday - Sunday
Extend as/if need be.

I have some rope for the chute.

Cheers Pete, you're a star :D

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
With regards to the 'chute we use as over the communal area ... as ever I watch that we do not mention and I do not seek to invoke 'The Curse of Twang-Twang' ... as always it is preferable to get it down and away with no need to sort it at this end.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Unfortunately my old man has come down with a chest infection, so won't be coming along this time :(
Meet List:

(The easy way to check out post #01 ~ http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/sho...08#post1720308 )

01. decorum
02. Wayland
03. Bilmo (TBC)
04. Mesquite ~ Thu - Sun
07. Rob ~ Thur - Mon
09. Dasy2k1 ~ Fri - Sun
10. Dave Budd
11. Roy Budd (no longer coming)
12. Mark & Abby (trader) ~ Thur - Sun
13. Nomad64 ~ Fri - Sun (TBC)
14. TinkyPete ~ Friday - Sunday
Extend as/if need be.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I've been on site this evening :cool: . There are a couple of trees down on 11 ~ but in the dark I couldn't easily make out whether it's good burning or still mostly/slightly green :eek:
(They've fallen _right_ in the area I bramble whacked at the January Meet ~ fortuitous or what!? :rofl: :dancer: :D) . Saws and splitters will be most welcome! :D .

Unfortunately my old man has come down with a chest infection, so won't be coming along this time :(

Probably a wise move. Please pass on our best for a speedy recovery.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE