Midlands Meet May 2008

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Are we going to try another spit roast?
Is anyone up for it? :D.....

I'm up for it - really need holes this time though :eek:

..... any chance for doing a bit of archery? I'd love to have a go .....

I'll see what I can do. I think (well..... pretty certain) that the archery and rifle ranges have to be booked prior to arrival, so this is a decision that is going to need to become definate a.s.a.p :cool: The pricing is:
Twangy Sticks (aka Archery) is £22.00 per hour - Instructor provided (max 12 per session)
And if anyone would like to safely use pop-pops (aka 0.177 air rifles) it's £25.00 per hour - Instructor provided (also max 12 per session)
Although there are set maximums of 12 on the ranges I'd suggest that the numbers were 6 - 8; this gives participants more chances to gain a bit of proficiency.

General note.
Scouting rules state that all air rifles used on site must be sub 12 ft/lbs AND 0.177 calibre. I'm not to sure whether the site will allow the use of rifles that the site doesn't own, but I'm willing to check. One cast-iron rule I can think of is that all shooters (or parent/guardian) must fill out a form declaring that there are no legal reasons that they/their charge cannot shoot (there are also other reasons - but you'd laugh :D ).

Hi woodstock,

Just to make sure - are you clear of birthdays this time? :D

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Lol, yup I'm clear of Birthdays :)

We really do need holes this time and a thicker spit pole as well, although the prop sticks didn't do such a bad job :)
Myself, the twins and mum want to have a go at archery :D

If people who want to participate in the spit roast could bring enough for their party and one other person I think we'll have plenty of food :beerchug: :headbang:

If you are bringing food or would like to sign up for archery, please include on the revised list :D

Revised List::

decorum - hammock
wallenstein - tent
Scrumpy + Scrumpy jr - amuks

Cobweb + Bramble + 2 littleuns (total 4) - hammocks -
Archery: 4
Spit Roast: hunk of pork(most likely)/carrots/parsnips/potatoes.

WhichDoctor - tent
Bodge + 1 or 2 kids floor and or hammocks.
T1tch - Hammock
Bushcraft bailey - hammock (poss 1 kid - Tent)
Mesquite - tent (if there's room for a Newbie)
woodstock 1 hammock and tarp

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Nothing on in May yet, so I'll come and join you, if you don't mind. Usually get to the NW meets (Delamere and Middlewood) and the Moot, but I don't think I've met many of you yet. I'll look forward to it.

Means of shelter will be determined nearer the time.

decorum - hammock
wallenstein - tent

WhichDoctor - tent
T1tch - Hammock
PJ McBear - Hammock/tundra/bivi - weather dependant.

Scrumpy

Forager
Mar 18, 2008
Silverstone
www.predatorsport.co.uk
I might be able to get a muntjack for the spit roast, I'm not promising anything but if I get one in the next couple of weeks I'll let you know, if you lot want one? or would you prefer pork? I don't mind either way.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I might be able to get a muntjack for the spit roast, I'm not promising anything but if I get one in the next couple of weeks I'll let you know, if you lot want one? or would you prefer pork? I don't mind either way.

I'd love to try the Muntjac if you're able to get one Scrumpy.

On another food note, I do a pretty mean chilli if people would fancy having that one night. And if people do, does anyone have a large enough pot for the fire? (I should add I do have some large pots at home but I don't think the little SWMBO would appreciate me filching one to cook over the fire with.)

And on another note what time will people start arriving from on the Friday?

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Muntjack sounds interesting, I'd love to try some :D
Thanks for the offer of chilli, Mesquite, I'll pass (it never agrees with me) but Bramble (mum) may have some, I don't have a large cooking pot, sorry :(
We're hopefully getting there around 5:30pm on the Friday as we have to wait for the kids to come out of school :rolleyes:

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
A bowl of chilli one night sounds lovely - we have a load of large cooking pots in our Scout stores, so I will see if I can borrow one.

And venison-onna-stick sounds yummy too.

I will be in and out over the weekend - family commitments etc - but I'm only 5 miles away so will certainly aim to be around Friday and Saturday late afternoon / evenings. :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
.....I will be in and out over the weekend.....

Not a problem - on the Friday I'm either going to have to pop out or will be a late arrival (scouting) and it now looks like I'll be out on the Saturday from 9am - 1pm as I've been asked to give design advice at a plant sale held by swmbo's scout group.

Hi Scrumpy - muntjac sounds good :D

Mesquite - Mmmm! :D

Michelle - I'll have a word with Nigel about the archery tomorrow.

Hi PJMCBear - The need to determine a choice isn't a problem as I only need a rough guide to enable me to choose a large enough pitch for us all.

To all,

Depending on it not already being booked I've lined up a new Pitch for us to use - the obligatory grassed area and more and better choices for tarps/hammocks.

As I've mentioned previously - should anyone wish to take the opportunity, whilst they're in the area, there is a Gooutdoors just down the road - Directions

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
A bowl of chilli one night sounds lovely - we have a load of large cooking pots in our Scout stores, so I will see if I can borrow one.

Mesquite - Mmmm! :D

Well that's 3 + a possible for Bumble for chilli for now. Now the important question... how hot? I can do meek and mild right up to a raging belly inferno and anything in between. Let me know otherwise I'll do one that has a bit of heat but won't set you on fire ;)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
..... Now the important question... how hot? .....

Nah, the really important questions are: 'Where's the milk?' and Where's the nearest loo?' :D

To be honest I'd go for a mid level - something where the aroma can tempt the taste buds of everyone without giving an overwhelming fear of 'repercussions' :240: :Wow: :tongue-ti :aargh4: .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'm on site (scouting) this weekend and will take the opportunity to re-aquaint myself with using one; as well as to burn off any 'noxiousisityness' that *might* be in the paint :240: :1244: :yuck:

Due to the rain the best laid plans of Mice went a bit amiss - basically the bread bin is still to be paint stripped! Mind you our scouts now have a new,expanded, motto - 'Be Prepared' has now become 'Be Prepared To Get More Wood'!

.....is there any chance for doing a bit of archery? .....

I've booked the archery. It wasn't with Nigel so I'm waiting for confirmation; I'll post as soon as I get the nod - they may, however, require a set time prior to arrival - any time/day preference?

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Whenever you can book us in is great, although we aren't getting there until the late afternoon on Friday due to school so Sat or Sun would be better :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
decorum - hammock
wallenstein - tent

WhichDoctor - tent
T1tch - Hammock
Wayland - Hammock and mega tarp probably. :D

I need to get out a bit in May cos it's looking like a busy month.

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
Hello
I should be able to make this on the friday night and most of saturday but is coinsides with knivesuk so i cant make the whole event.
George
:)

decorum - hammock
wallenstein - tent

WhichDoctor - tent
T1tch - Hammock
Wayland - Hammock and mega tarp probably. :D
Gwhtbushcraft - hammock + Dad - tent

Scrumpy

Forager
Mar 18, 2008
Silverstone
www.predatorsport.co.uk
SWMBO has spoken...... after treating herself to a blow up mat she now wants to come.

I'd be up for some archery, is this pay on the day as well?

decorum - hammock
wallenstein - tent
Scrumpy + Scrumpy jr - amuks + Mrs Scrumpy - Tent

WhichDoctor - tent
T1tch - Hammock
Wayland - Hammock and mega tarp probably.
Gwhtbushcraft - hammock + Dad - tent

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Whenever you can book us in is great, although we aren't getting there until the late afternoon on Friday due to school so Sat or Sun would be better :)

My appologies on the amount of time it's taking to confirm which day and what time - I'm still waiting on confirmation from the site; it would be the Saturday or Sunday though.

..... Hammock and mega tarp probably......

I bought a 'larger' tarp very recently. There were no dimensions on the bag and I didn't realise just how big it was until curiosity won the day; at 5 x 5 it's huge. I'm unsure whether that size is a :yikes: or a :grouphug:, but at £54 I'm not complaining - needs modding to add more loops though :D

I need to get out a bit in May cos it's looking like a busy month.

I can almost assure you of a very chilled weekend

Hello
I should be able to make this on the friday night and most of saturday but is coinsides with knivesuk so i cant make the whole event.
George
:)

Not a problem George.

SWMBO has spoken...... after treating herself to a blow up mat she now wants to come.....

Again, not a problem :D

.....I'd be up for some archery, is this pay on the day as well?.....
The various fees all get paid to Nigel (or whoever's at reception) prior to us leaving on the Sunday (he leaves at approx. 4 p.m)

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
:D I'm really looking forward to this, I need some time away from this darn computer and the phone. I love my job but sometimes it loves me too much if you know what I mean :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Was just wondering about firewood for the moot. Is it a case of each bringing their own or will we all be chipping in for a load?

Feel free to bring along a small amount (less than an arm full) to help make sure that we've got dry wood to start off with - but only if you want to and have access to dry wood; other than that the firewood's usually* sourced on site.

* I have known people to bring limbed and logged felled/fallen trees to to the site for use as firewood though.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
My appologies on the amount of time it's taking to confirm which day and what time - I'm still waiting on confirmation from the site .....

Still waiting for confirmation, all I can do is apologise. It might be the case that they've had to wait to find out whether they'll have instructors on site that weekend; if I still haven't heard by this Tuesday (29/04) I'll start chasing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE