metal kuksas

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I'm trying to get into the habit of teaching myself a new trick every week, just because you can never have too many craft skills up your sleave ;)

This week's new trick was raising a metal cup. About 10 years ago I made a shallow dish about 8" across by sinking 1mm copper into a carved log, but never tried anything else since. So this week I thought I would give it another go :)

These three cups are made from 1.2mm sheet copper or brass and were made using both sinking and raising techniques; I definately prefer sinking! Still lots to learn and the second cup (small copper one) was much much better and easier than the first (the rear copper one). The next step will be to tin the insides to prevent copper leaching into acidic drinks.

cups_zps099b2eab.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh Dave, those are nice. Really like the whole look and practicality of them.
Are you going to make for sale by any chance? As well as my wooden kuska I still use some the (these days rare) brass sierra cups. Nice as you can heat up your drink over a candle or even cook an egg.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Really like those Dave , especially the copper one with the antler.
I take it you will be mining your own tin? :pokenest:
I look forward to seeing the finished results.
Cheers , Simon

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Nice ones!
Like the right one best, but what I'd really like to know is how you did it?
I am absolutely no metalworker myself, so...

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice one Dave. Look great mate. :)

its mere coincidence that Rachael has been doing similar lately. More bowl than cup though. Might have to get her to put me one of those together ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE