metal kuksas

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You are a multi-tallented beggar arn't you!?
Sinking is putting the metal over a hole and beating the metal until it forms to the hole?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nicely done Dave, I made one very similar at college many moons ago, I must have it kicking about in a box somewhere.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
All very cool mate, my favourite one is the one on the right! :)

so.. how much and when will they be ready? ;)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
launditch, tinning is normally done by cleaning and fluxing the inside and then whilst warm it has molten tin swilled around in it (very much like beeswaxing or pitching a leather vessel).

John fenna, I do like to try my hand at new things :) Sinking is as you say hammering the metal into a hollow form, but the hollow is normally deeper than the shape you want. The hollow these were formed into is a 3" diameter slightly deeper than a hemisphere. There is a similar technique that involves hammering it into the form completely, so the hollow is a negative of your vessel; I think its called dapping but not sure? I've made a really cool brass heart for a LRP thing by carving the heart into a log and then hammering the cold brass into it with a small ballpeen and then sharpening the lines from the outside with a finer crosspeen (more repousse to finish)

Samon, they will of course be for sale. I haven't settled on a price yet though, likely to be aroud the £50 mark based on the work involved

I'm definately going to be doing more of these, I quite enjoyed making them once I got into a rythm. :) I had a brief go at raising a straight sided cup today (last hour or so of the day). Didn't like that at all! :censored: I think I just need practice, but it was realy tedious compared to sinking a nice round form. I'll keep with it until I've got it sussed and then chalk it up as an experience (likely never to be repeated).

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE