Meet Knothead folks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Ok, so it's not exactly Bushcraft related, nor is it strictly a traditional craft, but in my defense I did use traditional tools such as a drawknife and old spokeshaves to get those curves. Heck, I even used a chainsaw for some of the bigger whittling tasks I needed to do on it!

This has been my latest project for a client who wanted a 4 foot tall boy-shaped mannequin for the art classes that he teaches. He's a local artist over here in Frogland.

Having seen a few examples of small and big artists mannequins and the limitations of their movements I went for a different approach to the many joints.

The end result is "Knothead". You can see what he's capable of in the pix below.

I dipped out bigtime as regards payment for the actual time it took but ultimately it was a job I really wanted to have a crack at doing. Maybe once Bertrand (The Artist) starts taking it on his exhibitioon tours I'll get a commission to make another, but whatever, it was a pleasure to have made it. It's spookily life-like too.

The last image is of Knothead at his new home amongst Bertrand Armand's paintings in his gallery.

Tech specs. The head is made up of 6 pieces of wood, the torso is made from 18 pieces, each thigh is made from 2 pieces and I bought the hands from an art shop in the UK. I could have made them as well but they'd have been prohibatively expensive, in the end these bought hands only cost £27.50 each. I used a friends nephew to get the correct dimensions. I have a photo of Knothead to send to him as a thankyou, I think he'll like it, it's not everyday you get immortalised as a mannequin.

Thanks for reading.

Knothead01.jpg

Knothead02.jpg

Knothead03.jpg

Knothead04.jpg

Knothead05.jpg

Knothead06.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I want one :)

Reminds me of the dudes we had to use for life drawings in school art lessons

We had naked women to draw ...how come the photography students got the pretty ones and we got the " interesting" ones to draw?
To be frank - knothead is prettier4 than some of the models we had!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats brilliant!!

If its not rude, could I ask for a larger picture of the painting of the well?

I am re-building a well and need all the design inspiration I can get!

Red

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That is very impressive. The hands are incredible.

Hey Jonathan, have another read of the blurb above, the hands are the only things that I had to buy.

Nice one dude. Watch out SWMBO doesn't want one for when your back over here. You'd have to put a beard on it though.
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I think it'd fool her for about 2 hours, by then she'd have asked it to make her a cuppa and when she'd got no response the penny will have dropped it ain't me. Plus I'm a bit taller than 4 foot.

Thats brilliant!!
If its not rude, could I ask for a larger picture of the painting of the well?
I am re-building a well and need all the design inspiration I can get!
Red

I'll see what I can do. A google image search ought to scare some up surely? Hmmm I've got a roller and the ironwork sitting in a heap of stinging nettles somewhere in my garden from an old well. Shame you weren't more local you could have had it.

Thanks for the comments folks, I knew you'd appreciate seeing it.

John, had it been made to Betty's specs I doubt I'd wanted to have parted with it, plus it might have got me some weird looks, probably worse than I get already. LOL!

About the life classes. My brother went to evening art classes when he was 16. he was sat down with the rest of the class and in strode some nubile young lady, dropped her robe and posed naked. My brother spent the entire lesson trying to draw but couldn't because his hands were shaking so much. I dine on retelling that story every chance I get. Big mistake telling me I think you'd agree.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
That is very impressive. Considering the fact that those table top manequins cost £10 - 20 a throw, you could be on to a winner there...Well done.

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
Gobsmacked!
And I thought a 20 foot tall hand holding Excalibur at woodfest was cool..... but knothead... he's the dog's rollocks!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE