Making leather footwear.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Cobbling is a Black Art, I know.

But I might try something, seeing as I will be spending the summer doing leatherwork.

Where might I start?

I thought of making my own Uggs.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Some folk on the crannog wear them; most avoid.

I can not believe folk who had beautiful, well made clothing, would want to wear such things.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm with Tengu on this. Courrans and sandals are miserable to wear in our climate, on our soils, especially if they're stony.

I made myself Viking turn shoe style boots, they were incredibly comfortable, and more so, there are a heck of a lot of extant examples.
We have Pictish leather shoes too.

Regia Angolorum have an online shoe making bit on their site

Marc Carlson is the fellow who has compiled records and images, etc., of shoemaking through the millennials.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I haven't ridden in ohh at least thirty years :) so Shank's pony it is.....and even though I walk about barefoot in my home and garden, even I wore shoes when I worked where Tengu is now.

Wet's the issue with shoes, which is why the courrans/sandals are sort of effective, but unless you use very fine, and thus not terribly strong, leather, then they really needs socks of some kind beneath them. Even Oetzi had shoes, though his were stuffed with soft grass.
Picked clean fleece is very good, it felts down beautifully, is warm and comfortable, and if you leave the lanolin in it doesn't stay as wet.....ends up stinking though, while the grass doesn't.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Long ago I stayed in digs in Derbyshire. My landlady’s husband worked in the quarries and wore clogs (leather uppers, wooden soles with a horse shoe nailed to the bottom.) No I’m not suggesting clogs but:

He wore a cotton toe rag wrapped around his foot. They were washed each night and burned on Friday.

Edited to add:
Could pattens be useful?

Last edited:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I've made a few pairs of high leg american style moccs.
I used to use them bushcrafting but found the restricting factor was the smooth sole and lack of grip.
putting a rubber outer sole helps a bit but not to the extent of a modern shoe.
As i wasn't LARPing i moved onto the modern barefoot style shoes.

I did find it concentrated the mind when using an axe though!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
John, in the last picture, the chestnut pair are nice.

Any details?

I might make a pair of currans, but I still dont like them.

Even folk like the Ona (No clothes, wrapped a hide round their bodies) had moccasins.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Those shoes are turn shoes made under the watchful eye of Eric M at the Moot many years ago - the year you made a costrel if I am not mistaken. I wear them now with my Neolithic kit :)
It would seem that the mocs are Una tribe style....

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Those are beautifully made.
How difficult would it be to stitch a sole over the existing one? Is there a traditional adhesive or would Evostic be frowned upon?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The original is very thick and indeed hollow rather than flat.

And they do fit well.

I found them in a charity shop.

Reactions: Pattree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE