Lynx Escape - Dartmoor Zoo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm sorry but I disagree with you on this one ....

Not at all ! Totally disagree , they're all different applications. Not same approach under different names.
You cannot compare a reservation with a zoo or with a park for that matter.
They are different, the size is usually a give away...

Wolves in Yellowstone (national park)
Kavango Zambezi Transfrontier Conservation Area, or KAZA (reservation).....

Bristol Zoo....
See what I mean?

What is the educational purpose of visiting a zoo? please iluminate us...
Unless you're seeing the animals in its natural environment or similar, how can you evaluate or study it's natural behaviour, on a educational capacity...?

Meh

Unfortunately I can see the Pro's AND Con's of Zoo's.

Its a juggling act of Animal welfare , Commerce and Education - I don't know many that can get the three aspects 'right' but I can see why Children can learn from a Good Zoo

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Unfortunately I can see the Pro's AND Con's of Zoo's.

Its a juggling act of Animal welfare , Commerce and Education - I don't know many that can get the three aspects 'right' but I can see why Children can learn from a Good Zoo
Please don't get you knickers in a twist, just give me 3 good educational reasons for visiting a zoo...
I can only see the cons...
Any pros?
😀
Cheers

PS-.
Teedee is not personal, we can agree to disagree , even if these posts are now poluting a good thread start...
Im thinking this is a vast subject, and no doubt lots of diferent opinions, maybe has its place on a thread of its own?
🙏
Peace & love

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Knickers are not in a twist - I normally go Commando. ( Z.F.G To Other peoples opinions. )

I'm not narked about talking about the subject matter but as ever it does surprise me how a thread starting asking a specific single question searching for Volunteers becomes hijacked and pounced upon from people making assumptions and judgements and putting forth their personal beliefs and then seemingly thinking they either 'know' my own beliefs or the person posting.

3 Good educational reasons :-

Education - To see the animal and then learn more from it and its population , endangerment in the world from the information that is supplied with it. Yes this information is available in books or on the internet but nothing can help put pounds into rescue programs better sometimes than having the animal and facts in front of you.

Education - To see and understand how Inter Zoo Breeding programs can be used to create and maintain a healthy and viable gene pool where in the wild the animal maybe failing.

Education - Dartmoor Zoological Zoo has a Panther ( in fact its a hybrid ) that was a privately owned animal for many years - due to it being brought up as a Pet Cat it doesn't know how to act in a behavioural sense - It would be useless in the Wild and die very quickly as it doesn't 'act' as it should. It has No place in any breeding program due to having mixed genetics , it is a Chimera - should it be put down for that ? I think that teaches something about Humanizing Wild animals and the problems that can inflict.

Education - The ability to study an subject Animal for Research at very close proximity for those that can't fund or commit to visit the native habitat.

Education - It allows Children to Form their OWN opinions on Animals in captivity and IF they should only be found in the wild.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I've only been to one zoo in my life when i was six, my gran took me and i asked 1 question

"Nanna why are the animals in jail?"

I had just come back from visiting my mother who at the time was in jail!

We cage people for the benefit for the rest of society, why not animals?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Question to You .

Zoo's exist.

If you could have the banning of ALL Zoo's overnight or over the course of a few Years - What would you do with the Animals within them?

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Knickers are not in a twist - I normally go Commando. ( Z.F.G To Other peoples opinions. )

I'm not narked about talking about the subject matter but as ever it does surprise me how a thread starting asking a specific single question searching for Volunteers becomes hijacked and pounced upon from people making assumptions and judgements and putting forth their personal beliefs and then seemingly thinking they either 'know' my own beliefs or the person posting.

3 Good educational reasons :-

Education - To see the animal and then learn more from it and its population , endangerment in the world from the information that is supplied with it. Yes this information is available in books or on the internet but nothing can help put pounds into rescue programs better sometimes than having the animal and facts in front of you.

Education - To see and understand how Inter Zoo Breeding programs can be used to create and maintain a healthy and viable gene pool where in the wild the animal maybe failing.

Education - Dartmoor Zoological Zoo has a Panther ( in fact its a hybrid ) that was a privately owned animal for many years - due to it being brought up as a Pet Cat it doesn't know how to act in a behavioural sense - It would be useless in the Wild and die very quickly as it doesn't 'act' as it should. It has No place in any breeding program due to having mixed genetics , it is a Chimera - should it be put down for that ? I think that teaches something about Humanizing Wild animals and the problems that can inflict.

Education - The ability to study an subject Animal for Research at very close proximity for those that can't fund or commit to visit the native habitat.

Education - It allows Children to Form their OWN opinions on Animals in captivity and IF they should only be found in the wild.

Fair points all of them !
Dude I didn't assume your beliefs or anything like that.
I was looking for some positive (pros) for the zoo....as I couldn't see any, and you got them!
Very good points they are too...
I'm convinced there are pros and cons to zoos! Yay!
Thank you TeeDee.

Learn something every day...

Fair play, anyway time to bump up first post I think

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Just because I see things in a different way ( and a different possible path forward ) to you , please don't think you know me or can tell me what my opinion is or should be.

What are you waffling about? Who was telling you what your opinion should be? Certainly wasn't me!

As for the rest, I'd respectfully suggest you take you own advice because you repeatedly tell me what my opinion is with only a singular post to form your balanced and rational opinion. I was under the impression this was a discussion, airing towards the light-hearted approach... but nah, take a sledge hammer to it TD... pretend to read more into a paragraph than was actually there and speed off into rant mode. :rolleyes:

As Leshy points out, you're comparing reservations with zoos... totally different. But then no doubt you'll tell me what my opinion is on both, so there's no need for me to type anything asinine or banal is there? :p

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Whoaaah you guys get wound up

Bod seen something someone posted online that was either meant to incite a response or to inflame opinions and he said "Meh" and went about his day

I don't know why but i think this guy looks shifty, like he got summick to hide

Zoo Operations manager, George Hyde

lynx.JPG

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Whoaaah you guys get wound up

Nah, not wound up Bod... just amused by the ranting and double standard.

Anyway.. its not helping to find the missing Lynx is it? :rolleyes:

That fella isn't looking shifty... he's just been told that someone's left the tiger enclosure open and they haven't been fed in a couple of days... he's papping his pants! :D

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Its certainly a nice looking thing the Lynx, one that would definitely stand out on Dartmoor. Hopefully its found soon and it's safe & well.

Tonyuk

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I was thinking more like no body leave this guy looking after the kids and i don't mean the baby goats at the zoo

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I was thinking more like no body leave this guy looking after the kids and i don't mean the baby goats at the zoo
That's a nasty thing to say about a complete stranger when you really don't know them. They've just had a whole load of grief dropped on them and had a major (and no doubt expensive) zoo exhibit escape within hours of arrival. They can be excused looking a bit drawn and haggard.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Hey some people just look shifty, i call it as a i seen it don't get so buthurt

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
A couple of months ago when I was auditing the snakes at the local zoo, one of the the tapirs escaped through a half open gate and ended up dragging me around the place as I tried to stop it. Not easy things to stop, tapirs. Mashed my foot up with its big idiot hooves. It happens quite a lot. All it takes is an animal with the intention of escape, and one seconds worth of miscalculation or slip of attention on behalf of the keeper. Slipping on poo when opening the door is enough.

Not as bad as the time when I turned up at one reptile house and found over 50 newly born puff adders all over the public walkway/footpath. Fun times :rolleyes:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
hey i am black, surely that's racist? I just use the face of a white man as my avatar to avoid online race haters

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A few years ago I spent a month doing some unpaid Eco-Tourism for a reserve in South Africa , long story short , the owner was a passionate protector and conservation of native game - a conversation came up about Rhino Poaching and how it could be combated , his response - which to ME shows Critical Thinking , but to you may show him 'sitting on the fence ' ( LOL!! ) was that to control and limit Rhino poaching then Rhinos needed to be protected and 'farmed' harvested by a controlling government organization - as none exists and nearly all reserves are privately owned then this was unlikely to happen. Also the subject of 'Canned hunting' came up - and again I can see the logic that if you won't be able to stop certain people wanting to hunt Big Game , at least be in a position to control it - if one old & injured sanctioned Lions death means the funds from that death can go on to protect and
help in the conservation of Five more healthy Lions that go onto breed and be protected then surely conservation wins doesn't it? .....

Not only the money that goes into conservation, but also the money that goes into the local economy. That can, and often is, the turning point for local opinion and poaching. That changes the local opinion of of the lions to a resource to be protected rather than a threat to livestock that needs to be eliminated.

I'm sorry but I disagree with you on this one ....

Not at all ! Totally disagree , they're all different applications. Not same approach under different names.
You cannot compare a reservation with a zoo or with a park for that matter.
They are different, the size is usually a give away......

There are also commercial "parks" that are nothing more than dressed up zoos. You are indeed arguing semantics in a field where those very semantics are far from being a settled issue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE