Lost an Old Friend Yesterday

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I took my grandson, James home to his grandmother's after school this past evening. Walking in we found Sadie under one of the bushes propped as if sleeping. When she didn't raise her head as we came close though I knew better. She was old; Nikole had recued her from an abusive environment and brought her home as a young adult dog over 13 years ago, and she had a leg amputated for cancer almost two years ago. She survived that well enough and was a sweetheart. But about three months or so ago she started going down. Judging from the way we found her, she passed peacefully in her sleep and I'm thankful for that. I helped bury her before dark.

972164_10200867644230639_1960226062_n.jpg

RIP Sadie, You will be missed.

Last edited:

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Morning my friend, i can sympathise and empathise with you this morning, and although i don't believe in much, i am sending you a little bit of Dartmoor warmth on this grey old day, be pensive but be strong and keep as busy as you can, knowing you gave that lovely hound a great part of her life.

Chin up my friend.

Kindest regards.

Ivan...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Sorry to hear of your loss SM.

Losing a loved one is never easy regardless of them being human or animal. My thoughts are with you.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sorry for your loss Santaman, I think it's harder than loosing human family as non-owners don't understand. Think of the life you all gave her and the love she gave back.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
My condolences Santaman, its always a consolation after grief has passed, to know that you did your best, and she led a good and happy life.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm very sorry for your trouble, sm, I think Dave's post above is about the only meaningful thing that can be said...............................atb mac

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks for all the support guys. I appreciate it. I should say here that technically Sadie wasn't mine; Nikole (my daughter) rescued her and when she went away to school she left her with Barbara (her mom) But I was there almost every day and helped care for her, and Sadie certainly thought she was mine, she followed me everywhere I went in the house. She was the sort of dog it was impossible not to love.

The newest member of the family was confused last night. Carson (Nikole's 2 year old son) took a scrap of ham and gave part of it to Buster (the remaining dog) and walked into the living room with some towards Sadie's doggie bed. He started crying when she wasn't there. He may not fully understand but he certainly knows something's not right.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE