My little dog's passing......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Following a series of strokes & cerebral attacks that left our little bitch blind & oblivious to everything around her & given her age & the extent of brain damage there was no hope of any kind of recovery, we took the very painful decision to end her suffering & have her put to sleep yesterday evening. She passed away peacefully & rapidly
We estimated her age at around 6/7 when we first had her. so she was at least 15 but we were all lucky that she remained active & bouncy to the near end.

How she came into our lives;
she was abandoned, ( we believe she belonged to an old lady who either died or went into a home & a relative put the dog into a car, drove for miles, then dumped her & drove off......my wife found her 9 years ago on a chilly January evening, on the village bridge trying to get into the passing cars, it was probably only a matter of minutes before she would have been run over, my wife opened the car door & in she jumped. We spent a month trying to trace her owners ( gendarmerie, local animal shelters, posters, notice in the local papers etc.) but to no avail......we had two choices, surrender her to an animal shelter or keep her, it was an easy decision to make.......she made herself at home right from the start

She wasn't exactly a 'bush buddy' but did appear from time to time on some photos I have posted.:)

Her absence for the moment, is unbearable.

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?...in_id=3001&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Blacktimberwolf,

I'm sorry to hear that, she was a bonny looking wee dog and I think it's one of the hardest things when your best pal goes. I lost my wee Jack Russell Snoop last year and I still miss him so much. There's nothing anyone can say to ease what you're feeling at the moment but it's good to talk about it and vent of the strong feelings your going through. You did the right thing for her easing her pain. You were obviously there for her as she was always there for you.

I'm sorry again and know how your feeling, but she's not in pain anymore unfortunately it's yourself feeling that at the moment. Sorry filling up here thinking about mine. Remember the good times and you'll see her again one day.

Thoughts are with you,
Goatboy.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I know how you feel BTW and you and your wife have my deepest sympathies on your sad loss.

You gave her a life of love and that was well rewarded with all the good times and memories you have of her.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Right with you just now, BTW. Mrs B. & I had our 12-year-old, Billie, put down on Tuesday afternoon. She'd been living with a rapidly increasing cancer this past 6 weeks and was just beginning to suffer with it. Our younger dog, who's never known home without Bill, keeps checking all the rooms to see if she's come back. :(
We'll never forget them but it gets easier to live with.
Life goes on...

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Don't worry folks, it's not the first time I've had to deal with such grief nor the last, I'm not feeling suicidal even if I come across as being so:eek:
Just a weepy, feeling sorry for myself period I have to go through.........................I've still got another mutt to look after who is elderly himself & not in the best of health..............but as they say, "it never rains but it pours" :rolleyes:

It certainly does help talking about it though.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Never an easy descision and always a horrible time but you had the courage and conviction to help her. As difficult as it is, I find it an honour to be able to make that descision to help our canine friends when they need it most.
My thoughts are with you and your family.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
You gave her a good home for as long as possible which is all that matters. Condolences.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sorry to hear of your loss BTW, it's never easy losing a pet.

Also sorry to hear about Billie going Ian, she was a lovely dog who made a stranger very welcome.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Very sad news for both of you.

It is a wonderful bond that we form with our animal friends; the pain that comes with having to break it is the price we pay for love.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... Grief ... honours the deep friendship between you ...

A wonderful way to express it.

Thanks Blacktimberwolf for sharing those cracking photos of your little 'un, she looks a real character and I know how much you'll miss her. I still miss the one that destroyed my ear defenders and all but destroyed the handle of my favourite machete all those years ago.

It's at times like this that I visit the local shelter. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE