Living in the woods ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If you're not into computers and blogging it's no obstacle. I see no need to do anything more than post your experiences in this thread. It could be a very useful source of information about things like how your gear performs in long term use, something which isn't always easy to find. If you keep a log of everything you buy for example you'll be able to tell us things like how much fuel you use for cooking, how much you need to eat to keep body and soul together in the cold weather, all very useful stuff.

I'm sure a lot of people would find it helpful if you could describe the setup a bit more -- I'm actually a bit confused about how you're living already. :confused:

Don't forget to get a couple of hot water bottles before they run out of them in the shops!

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
If you don't do it you 'll always wish you had! So go for it. Only hope those long dark Winter nights don't take away the magic of sleeping out.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Good luck with this. I don't think you are running away or cheating by dipping into the modern world and using its stuff. Its not a test of endurance, simply a diferent way to live. Follow your instincts and keep us posted.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
go for it ivav I'm sure we can all pop down and keep you company for a few nights through the winter get cutting them trees down all them dead ones and keep an eye out for the beast of dartmoor lol regards dave:You_Rock_:lmao:

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Have you read "Treehouse Diaries" by Nick Weston? He only managed 6 months. I guess you'd have to spend a long time in the summer preparing and storing food to last the winter
Just to say he didnt manage to do 6 months he planned to do 6 months 'using' the most fruitful months for hunting foraging.
Not being narky but that comment sounds like he failed he didn't he stayed the time he wanted to.
Atb Dave

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
If you're not into computers and blogging it's no obstacle. I see no need to do anything more than post your experiences in this thread. It could be a very useful source of information about things like how your gear performs in long term use, something which isn't always easy to find. If you keep a log of everything you buy for example you'll be able to tell us things like how much fuel you use for cooking, how much you need to eat to keep body and soul together in the cold weather, all very useful stuff.

I'm sure a lot of people would find it helpful if you could describe the setup a bit more -- I'm actually a bit confused about how you're living already. :confused:

Don't forget to get a couple of hot water bottles before they run out of them in the shops!

And if not all this blog and thread stuff you could do that clever business with a pen and a diary - no power needed and ideal for the outback.

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
Hi there matey. I know you have all the stuff for this, but if i can help with anything you might need just let me know and i can bring along at next meet

Rick

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Sounds like an exciting project. To make a success of this you will need friends and social contact. All the skills and equipment in the world wont be enough if you don't have that too

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i would love to do this, i am a little worried about what fuel you have or are going to use though, 12 acres is not alot of woodland when you are going to be burning wood every day all day....

i wish you all the best and hope you enjoy the time you have in the woods...

wish i was with you...:(:(:(:(:(:(

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Wow ! morning guys , thanks for the comments and interest, what a night didnt sleep until 4.30am , rain put my fire out and most of the night thought i would blow away , i had to meet a mate at 7.00am to borrow a chainsaw , but will have a kip and some grub before doing any of that ! dont worry i was a tree surgeon for 10 years .
Anyway i will try and answer some queries, apart from food for free , the only other book i have read is The Wild Life ,
by John Lewis-Stempel , but having been born and bread on the moor , always being an outdoor guy and having had a great tutor in my father , also what i have picked up since discovering bushcrafting , i have half an idea , as i said before its not a survival thing , its just recent events made me think sod it i will give it a go , if i fail i will be honest , also tell you if the warm bed is too much to resist as on occasions i am sure it will.
I am staying in a clearing which i prepared for my original bushcraft site ,so i have many more luxuries than you can imagine , some of you know my story and have been to the meets , but for those who dont , and one chap asked how did you get there ? I will try and be brief, 6 years ago i was lucky enough , due to bereavement to be offered the job as holiday cottage manager on a beautiful site on Dartmoor , live in , in my wanderings i asked the boss about a pice of woods only accessible by foot across a marsh , that was flooded and hadnt been touched for 30 years, i could see real potential for a bushcraft site , and begged the question , the boss said yes , i worked on and off up there for about 4 years, tracking a digger across the moor for massive drainage and rerouting of water work. after 2 weeks of constant digger work i had done , i made such a mess i burst into tears !

I had to wait 2 years for it to recover , and mother nature did a fab job and it was time to announce my site to the world. With hindsight i went overboard with the things i provided for the bushies , simple bunch , they didnt want quad lifts , massive tents delivered kindling firewood etc etc .
Any way it was a success, but my boss wasnt happy with me spending all of my time up on the site or on the computer, she said she felt neglected and invaded , which led to a big fall out and me leaving , i was devastated nearly finished me
But after a break of me sleeping on a mates sofa, not being able to find a job , wont bore you with that , the boss and i have come to an arrangement that suits us both.
So here i am back .sorry if it sounds jumbled not very tech , but some did ask !

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
To lannyman8, I am taking the chainsaw up with me this week and it will occupy a lot of my time cutting and stacking firewood , also have some big bits of beech to ring up for the meet , i can also cheat ( there might be a fair amount of that ) by wheel barrowing already seasoned wood up from the farm .

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
To ronnie , i think you have a very valid point , although i do enjoy my own company, i half wish i had a mate to share the experience with , but work and all that other stuff prevents that . so loneliness is probably going to be the biggest issue so far !

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
And if not all this blog and thread stuff you could do that clever business with a pen and a diary - no power needed and ideal for the outback.
I second this comment. Personally I find books with hand-drawn and annotated pictures absolutely fascinating. (it worked for Mors!) You could then scan/photoraph the page to post online.

Z

FlyingHaggis

Aug 29, 2011
Scotland
I wish you all the best in your endeavours I too wish I could get away from it all into the woods so i will be following your progress with a keen eye and bit of jealousy :) if the chance arose for me to do what you are doing I would take it as long as you are happy and enjoy it thats all that matters and no one else should tell you otherwise good luck and best wishes and will be watching your posts

FH

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
I don't think loneliness will be too much of a problem, as you've said you like your own company and i'm sure given the opportunity there will be a few on this and other sites more than willing to pop down for a couple of nights here and there. I also think that after a while you will get to really enjoy the solitude and nice as it will be to receive visitors, you will also be glad to see them go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE