Living in the woods ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hello , just whipped back for a shower , better weather today , still v windy , logged up a load of fire wood and a bit knackered , should sleep like a baby tonight , on the dog front i have, sorry had a 7 year old black lab Ollie , star of a dog but lost him in the custody thing , still good news my youngest is coming to stay the weekend with me and the dog !!
I have two mates who swear by the something to look forward to outlook , and they never get down , regardless of how insignificant it is , trying to be a bit like them isnt easy.
I f i am man enough to keep this up , i may get a rescue dog , been toying with the idea for a while now , was just a bit worried that if i have to get a nasty proper job ! then it would not be fair, so on hold for the time being .
A bit wierd really when the sun is shining and you are busy nothing else matters , but when its dark and you cant sleep the temptation to say oh sod this i am going back to the house is strong. But so far so good . Roll on the weekend !!
Strange feeling sort of sharing this ...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hey Teedee, i am off to source a Wilson ball of some description ! I will wend my way to the dentist though ! and Katia has not been kind enough to wash up a shed load of Fed Ex parcels to keep me amused..

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
WOW !!! just wondering what kind of shelter/camp your planning on making to get through the winter ?? Any chance of picture,s ?? Good luck !!

Sounds like it doesn't matter how long it lasts, just fulfilling your personal challenge of spending any length of time in the woods will be good for your soul! I don't live too far away and walk on Dartmoor often. Would be interested to pop by and provide a bit of cheer and company (especially as I don't think I can make the meet, with it being so close to my first kiddy being due!).

Would also be really interested to read about your experiences, whether it be on a blog or in a written book / journal. I'd also have to second the wonderful company provided by a dog. I have a lovely black lab pup that would be accompanying me on any foray on the moor.

Anyway, good on yer mate... go for it!

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i say go for a dog too..

loads of labs need re-homeing just look on line, normaly good dogs, i just missed out on a wonderful very well trained brown lab from blue cross, sad to say i could not take him as he hated cats....:):):) we have 2...:(:(:(:( boo hoo...

still i have my little great dane for a cuddle at night...;)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Afternoon, well a much better night, and a mixed bag so far today , been on a forage , chanterelles in abundance , loads of blackberries and a few bilberries , i only have one chicken left now as mr fox treats this place like a KFC !so my eggs for hopefully a delicious omelette, followed by berries and cream (the only cheat with dinner ) If it is a success
i will repeat the meal for my daughter at the weekend . Felt pretty good today , maybe a bit more sawing later , might even dig a new hole for the thunder box , too far to walk in the morning !
Oh yeah saw a roe deer with a baby only about 25 yards away this morning , i think the wind meant they didnt notice me , what a sight !
On a sad note found an adult rabbit with mixy, only 2 fields away from camp , first i have seen here in 6 years , cant remember the rules on eating said animal .Should google really .

Anyway , Deaner66, if you get chance to get up this way you would be more than welcome to stop by and have a brew and natter .

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Afternoon, well a much better night, and a mixed bag so far today , been on a forage , chanterelles in abundance , loads of blackberries and a few bilberries ...

:)

... i only have one chicken left now as mr fox treats this place like a KFC !

If you put a lot of fox food somewhere, you shouldn't be surprised if foxes come and take it. :)

so my eggs for hopefully a delicious omelette, followed by berries and cream (the only cheat with dinner ) If it is a success
i will repeat the meal for my daughter at the weekend . Felt pretty good today , maybe a bit more sawing later , might even dig a new hole for the thunder box , too far to walk in the morning !
Oh yeah saw a roe deer with a baby only about 25 yards away this morning , i think the wind meant they didnt notice me , what a sight !

:)

On a sad note found an adult rabbit with mixy, only 2 fields away from camp , first i have seen here in 6 years...

There are loads around here, it seems to have become much more common lately. They must suffer terribly, I kill them when I can.

... cant remember the rules on eating said animal .Should google really ...

Google will tell you it's harmless to humans, but I've seen a few people say they would have to be very hungry to eat one and I'm with them. It doesn't seem to bother the dogs and the foxes though.

heavylevy

Feb 13, 2011
ramsgate kent uk
Dead envious of you.I wish i could just take myself off in the woods and please myself (that sounds wrong but you know what i mean!!!).Mortgage wife and kids commitments whats it all about????

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Morning, good night the food went well , didnt realise just how much water came from frying chanterelles ! had to tip a fair bit out , but really good in the end , my plans have changed a bit over the next few days , my mate Adam is coming down , because i cant have my daughter this weekend , and the boss wants to use the site for a family gathering, Adam and myself are going to find another suitable spot on Dartmoor to camp , so hopefully will return with tales of that visit , may even try a couple of places , he is quite tech so with a bit of luck he will post photos of our little trip and as some have asked some pics of my set up surroundings etc.
So if it goes a bit quiet you will know why , got to be honest , it is a bit lonely at night so a bit of company for the next few days will be great .

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Phill, good to hear from you , thanks for that link will try that recipe , they are everywhere at the moment , i think it was because they were so wet recent heavy rain and all , good to see you are still managing to get out and do a bit !
A bit far for you to make a meet ! i have toned it right down , a lot more minimalist, i think i tried too hard to provide things bushcrafters didnt need or want , still great fun , take care pal , may catch up again one day .

Atb Ivan...

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
Ivan me ol'fruit!

I'm glad you're back on here and back in the woods. So is this a different site to the meet I attended?

I'm planning on doing a Dartmoor trip next month so I'll be up for popping in if I can't tie it in with an organised meet.
Do you still have a mobile? PM your number when you get a chance.

I was just telling some one last night about the lamb cooked with hot rocks...mmmm

IMG_4171.jpg

All the best fella,

Joel

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Joel , great to hear from you , hope lifes good , yeah it is the same site, only i move around the wood for the meets etc so as not to wear the place out ! Just having a bit of time out and enjoying it , today is glorious .
I will pm you numbers etc , so when you are passing drop in mate is it solo ? doen't matter any how if you want to stay you'd be welcome , just bring that aromatic tobacco (nothing sinister) you will find me just follow the smoke !
atb Ivan...

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
Haha! Yep will bring the pipe and a selection of tobacco :)

I'm thinking about 28th or 29th October, I'm trying to get a couple of mates down for a wild camp but now I know you're around we'll make a trip to you.
I'll send you a PM & text etc.

Good times

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hello, well that was a great weekend, Adam (savagebushcraft) and my youngest came up to keep me company , weather wasnt good especially last night and this morning, but that didnt stop us having a laugh ,really nice to have some company , we set up in a corner of the woods out of the way , did some cooking, practising some basic skills etc .
Yesterday went for a walk and sussed out some old camping haunts and a few new ones ! had a brew and between the showers it was magic . Also had my first venture at filming the weekend , with Adams camcorder , so when he gets home and recovers he will post them , as some of you wanted to see the set up and surroundings etc , i have asked him to show the films warts and all ! so hopefully it wont put you to sleep , just give you an idea of what i am trying to achieve.
Think it will be a bit strange walking back to camp later .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE