Living in the woods ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi guys , which heading would be most appropriate to write a piece on my intention to stay in the woods for a time ?

cheers Ivan...

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Have you read "Treehouse Diaries" by Nick Weston? He only managed 6 months. I guess you'd have to spend a long time in the summer preparing and storing food to last the winter

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hello everybody , as some of you know , i started an exciting new venture and bushcraft site on Dartmoor some time ago , my old name was Mick Sturbs, which was going great guns until my world rather collapsed, wont bore you with those details , but suffice to say i was forced to take a liitle break , anyway i am slowly building back up what i started , which is jigging along gently .

AS i have had a chance to re think my present situation , no partner , no job , very limited access to kids etc and probably most of all fed up with all the rubbish in the real world , i am going to have a go at living in the woods , so if anyone is interested i will state my intentions ...

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'd be interested to see how you get on - have you thought about contacting any publishers to see if a book deal is in order?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This forum is perhaps easiest :)

Best of luck with your new living arrangements :D

Maybe a regular column in a paper or magazine ? Sometimes a little cash flow or deadline is a great motivator when it's cold, wet and miserable to get out and get on.

cheers,
Toddy

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
This is not going to be " into the wild " or anything quite as exciting or glamourous , I am luck enough to have exclusive use of 12 acres of wood right on the edge of Dartmoor , i dont know how long i intend to try and stay out , the longest i have done solo in the past was 9 nights ! wow! i hear you say .
i am only a mile walk from civilisation and have every intention of reasonable contact with the house , bathing , posting on here , supplies etc but most of my time will be spent in the woods and every night as long as i can stick it also , i am cheating in some respects as i smoke rollies and like my beer .

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Keep us posted! I'd be inclined to set up a blog (on blogger.com or similar) - they're free and an easy way to store/edit your experiences. Just posting on here could lead to your writings getting lost with all the comments and new posts etc.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Sorry i lost the tale end of my post ! computer crashed, i intend to cook all meals , keep warm and forage what i can from my surroundings , at this time of year not too difficult , anyway if this is boring and general opinion is big deal dont bother i wont .
I am also as those who know me a very social creature so i think loneliness might be an issue therefore , anyone who wants to call in and say hi is welcome .
I am not the kind of person that walks into the pub and shouts , thats it ive given up smoking , cos a week later when you are back on the fags you look a pillock !
So if my little experiment does not work i apologise in advance .

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I am also cheating , by having tent , tarped area , frying pans pots , kettle ,plates cups , 3 in 1 coffee dried foods , access to clean running water , sleeping bag , sleep mat etc etc.

And Spandit , i am not computer literate , so all that blog/spam stuff is way beyond me , if anybody is interested they will seek out my ramblings .

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Give it a go Ivan... You have nothing to loose, and everything to learn!

I'll bring you down a copy of Mors Bushcraft book to keep you company. Lots of common sense camp-craft to practice or adapt.

al.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks Al , i will at least last until the meet i am sure , its after all you guys have gone it might be a bit wierd , but hey ho ! i will have a go !

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I also have a woodland drop, and a lot of the bits and bobs that come with the site as some know , so its not some great survival thing , more the need to get away and see if i can do it , a few mates think i am mad and are running away or escaping , i think i agree , no telly, no news, no people for a while at least, so off to set up , will pop back before i retire later , and perhaps post a bit more , dont know if posting everyday is defeating the object or not ?
Because some may think i wonder how the idiot at home is doing . Still i think most of you get the gist .

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I think you need a ferret for companionship. I can always bring you one down and some nets too if you like. There's a couple of nice workable banks I saw.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE