Living in the woods ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Oh yeah the hardest part of coping is the lack of company , and the horrible weather, still i hope to have the resolve to stick for a bit longer at least .

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Good day peeps, well another wet night , and today is the worst kind of rain we get here , its called mizzle , does not look mutch but gets you soaked , the ground is all soggy too, forecast is rubbish for today and tomorrow , so i am cheating a bit tonight , am going to whoop the boss at university challenge and watch the programme on our depleting rivers , nothing to do with the roast lamb and all the trimmings of course !
Getting better genned up on wild foods, plants , food for free etc , going to take another book up for a change , hope with a full stomache and woodburner, i can still walk back up home !
Bit low yesterday after Adam and Katie had to leave , but watching the vids we did gave me a right lift .

Poacher

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2006
Kilgarvan, Co.Kerry. ROI
You need to figure out what to do about the loneliness bud, it will creep in worse and worse . If there is one thing that is going to end this chapter of your life, its going to be the inability to cope with the solitude.
You know we are all rooting for you mate.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
You need to figure out what to do about the loneliness bud, it will creep in worse and worse . If there is one thing that is going to end this chapter of your life, its going to be the inability to cope with the solitude.
You know we are all rooting for you mate.

What he said...:):):):):)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Agree. Especially with "we are all rooting for you". I am sure there are lots on the site following this with great interest. Try not to look at it in terms of success and failure. If you feel the need of company, go seek it out without beating yourself up too much. Good luck ivan.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks for the kind words and support , going to have a bath and eat like a lord ! anybody interested , Adam let me loose with his camcorder as some of you wanted to see what the site looked like , so its posted under Out and About , sub heading , Wood Smoke warm up weekend , please have a look and feel free to comment , good or bad thankyou Ivan...

Last edited:

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
Hi Ivan,

When I have broken the back of my remaining coursework - some time after the next meet - I will have more time at the weekends and can come and keep you company now and then. I might have to bring a bit of coursework with me, to tinker with, but you can help with the forest school assignments I am sure - as you have in the past.

Lucy

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Hey Ivan,
We've never met, mate but I wish you well in your exploit, and even if things don't go as planned.... better to have ventured than never tried at all!

Everyone who has lived a little has come to a crossroad in their lives. We all handle crises differently, and what some might see as running away from the issues is to others facing them down in a way they understand all too clearly. Just be sure to keep pen and paper close to hand.

And anyone who thinks a spot of comfort or solace is cheating has never been in a "whatever it takes" situation!

Things will get better, so keep a clear bead on your compass and I wish you all good fortune.

Pango.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Afternoon, been to the shop today get some supplies , still raining , so am probably going to shift camp , to somewhere a bit more sheltered, nice to have a proper meal last night and a bath ! Not such a good idea to take ghost stories of Devon back up for a read ! But have to research for story telling around the fire at the meet .
I have got to be honest , i think i will probably last to the weekend , dont know yet , and then have a week indoors until the meet and maybe go again , having so much time on my own , loads of things go round and round in your head .Its a lot harder than i thought it would be , certain times its fantastic , but when its pissistently ! raining and you cant sleep you think oh! sod it .
I know i am probably repeating myself , but no company and bad weather are making it very hard .

Listen to me! human contact every day , internet access and a lot of home comforts , so anybody who tries this kind of thing , i take my hat off to..

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Well ! Thats it for a minute folks , as you can see my reslove has been broken , firstly apologies if i have spouted about something i thought was in my mind set i was more than capable of achieving , not saying i wont have another go , but its mighty hard , i would love just to blame the weather (which has been awful) and as someone who loves the outdoors adores Dartmoor , wild camping, bushcrafting and a bit of a challenge .
Even with my circumstances, and some would say you lucky sod ! I know people warned me about the solitude, i do think a dog would have helped , and if i could have found somebody else to do it with , and maybe the height of summer , who knows ?
I watched all those black and white episodes of Robinson Crusoe , when i was a kid and yearned for that to be me and in a strange way even Castaway and even in a more ridiculous scenario that silly film where Hanks lived in an airport .

But reality is a different thing , i am sure there are those of you out there that would find it a doddle !but tonight was a night too far , i tried even thought i would knock myself out with brandy , but the inevitable would have happened tomorrow.
I think it was Skate who said, hope it doesnt take away the magic of sleeping outdoors, and it was going to. Part of the reason we all look forward to the chance to camp whether it be alone, with a pal or a meet its because we cant do it all of the time! All of that real world stuff gets in the way .

Anyway thanks for the interest shown , and support , now i can really look forward to my woodland friends coming dowm at the end of the month!!

Down but not out !!! Ivan...

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
You did what most of us dream if doing even though a short while, but you did it dude.
Glad you ain't lost that out doors feel coz we are all looking forward to next weekend and a Dartmoor meet without an Ivan is never gonna be the same. Respect and admiration to you Big Man see you soon

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Ivan... It’s the solitude that would get to me too. As much as I enjoy my own company. Compound that with terrible weather and it’s a non-starter.
Give it a bash again in Spring, and see the difference it makes!

Fantastic effort and something you will look back on as an achievement no-doubt. Looking forwards to those ghost stories and the tales of the great 'adventure' around the campfire next week.

al.

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
Well done mate, like the others have said, you gave it a go!
I did enjoy reading your honest reports of the day especially when I'm sat if the office looking dreamily out the window.

Hat's off to you, hope you're preparing your self for the meet. So dry your clothes, stock up on ghost stories and we'll have a cracking time....in the rain....!

Let me know if there's anything you need me to bring up.

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
Hey Ivan, you had a go, that's what matters. I'm sure you found out a little bit more about yourself and now won't have that niggling thought in your mind about doing it. Really looking forward to the meet (and the meat). Wish I could spend more time up there with you but actually have some pressing work to get on with for a change. Looking forward to hearing all about hairy hands, wisht hounds, hangmans pit, snaily house etc.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks chaps , i thought i would get a bit of a slating ! to be honest it was a lot harder than i thought and as some of you know i am only about a mile walk fom home !! I am a little dissapointed especially having announced on here what my intentions were . Still we live and learn , not to say i might not try again at some stage , but with better planning and a different season !

Anyway at least i will be fresh as a daisy for the meet , and not a smelly miserable rambling old git !

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Cheers Pango , i understood where you were coming from, i have felt like it before , i have relatives in Dollar , and once tried a couple of nights at the glen , but worse was a week at Torridon, lonely and cold , and most of that week was spent in th YHA !!
PS not knocking Torridon its beautiful, but if you are not in the right space , the old mind will decide for you ..

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Ah, bonnie Torridon... if the midges dinna get ye!

I spent 2 nights in a cave high on Liathach once, overlooking Loch Torridon and over to Skye... master of all I surveyed!
I've been back a couple of times but could never find it again.

If it's Craig Hostel you're talking about, the YHA gave it up and it's now an open bothy.

Oh, happy days.

Pango.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE