list to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
Hello again Leon,
I would recommend “Danish oil” its easy to get from most DIY place’s and is easy to apply and re-apply if you should get any damage to you handle. Just read what it says on the can.
And yep the birds do look delicious, especially cooked over an open fire :)

Chris

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i think i will go for danish oil then, the birds were lovely, never cooked them on a fire so thought i would try it
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi guys im calling for your help again
i want to buy some walking or hiking boots as i dont have any comfortable boots to walk in, i have never owned a pair of walking boots so all help will be appriciated
i would like them to be waterproof, strong, warm, under £50
thanks guys hope you can help
leon

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hi Leon, I've bought my kids boots made by Outdoor Scene, which can be got for around £50. They are not the best boots in the world, but there is no point in getting expensive boots when their feet are still growing. These boots have lasted my son for a year and now my daughter is wearing them. They have been waterproof, fine for easy hillwalking, 10 mile hikes and for scout camps. I guess that they have lasted for two years use so far, and they are still good for some more.
Hope this helps,
cheers,
Doug.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have seen some regatta outcrop x lt on the net for £60 these look great
can anybody tell me anything about them ?
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
british red here are the pics i took
First tree
DSCF0424.jpg

first tree hook
DSCF0425.jpg

Ridge pole
DSCF0427.jpg

All the parts
DSCF0428.jpg

Two Poles set up
DSCF0429.jpg

Completed pot hanger
DSCF0430.jpg

leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
I layed some sand in the woods right next to a pidgeon carcass which i guessed a fox had got.
The sand was completely smooth with no debris on it
what could these be ? the first one i thought could be a muntjak but it looks to blunt to be that, i think it is most definitely a cloven hoof though ?
Track.jpg

Track2.jpg

Track3.jpg

leon

D

Deleted member 4605

You've given me an idea what to do with my surplus of Beech wood!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
leon-b said:
I layed some sand in the woods right next to a pidgeon carcass which i guessed a fox had got.
The sand was completely smooth with no debris on it
what could these be ? the first one i thought could be a muntjak but it looks to blunt to be that, i think it is most definitely a cloven hoof though ?
Track.jpg

Track2.jpg

Track3.jpg

leon

what could these be then guys ?
leon

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Interpreting from photographs with no scale for reference is not easy.

Looking at the track in your 1st. picture I think there are claw impressions and that you may have the impression of two pads as opposed to a cloven hoof, cant say though whether it is dog or fox, fox is narrower and claws are usually better defined .

2nd. picture can't offer any comment.

3rd. looked again for the fourth time and still cant offer any help.

When making a sand trap try using builders sand without the gravel, if possible prepare the ground underneath by removing dead leaves etc. so that the print is not distorted from underneath. Also use a reference scale such as a ruler or an object of a known size this makes a huge difference when looking at these things later.

Keep up the good work Leon, when visiting your uncles shoot you may have an opportunity to place sand traps around release pens latter in the year, you can also record these by making plaster casts.

If you can find a copy try Animal Tracks and Signs ISBN 0 00 219633 6, my copy is 30 yrs old this year and I still use it for reference.

Happy hunting Pothunter.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Looks really good. Although I would have liked to see you use a stick with a side branch to make the top hook that hangs on the ridge pole.

Have you written the explanation yet? What I would really like to see as part of that is an explanation of making the hook itself - especially the 3 cuts to make the bottom hook. Perhaps get another bit of stick and show it "step by step" explaining the angle and depth of cuts.

Its a really good start though mate and has the makings of a quality article. I'm looking forward to seeing the first draft (leave the piccs out if you want me to review it though huh?).

As a thought, I find that type of hook works better on a wire handle - its poor for a zebra broad metal handle - we'll do one for that type next if you want?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i forgot about that when i got home, i will get another stick with a side branch and take pictures step by step as i make the pot hook, what type works better for a zebra billy as i could fo both ?
havent write anything execpt the intro, any help ?
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE