list to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks pot hunter, i hadnt planned to make a sand trap but i saw the sand down there already so i thought i would give it a go
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
leon-b said:
yes i forgot about that when i got home, i will get another stick with a side branch and take pictures step by step as i make the pot hook, what type works better for a zebra billy as i could fo both ?
havent write anything execpt the intro, any help ?
leon
No Leon, no help at all. You write it, and I'll tell you whats wrong with it - its your article my friend ;)

Look in the book we were talking about - theres a version of a hanger that involves using the branch joint to hold the billy can and a thinned out branch end wrapped over and tucked through itself.....That works much better on a zebra handle. Its not as hard to make as it looks.......

I am seriously impressed though :You_Rock_ - you should incorporate the mistakes in the article. All this stuff looks easy in a book - its harder to do in real life huh?

I believe I should be able to carve that hook type with three axe cuts. I must have tried 50 times. Messed it up 50 times too :(. I'll get it one day though

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks mate, ok i will look at the book, ok but what am i writing next you can tell me that
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
right, fenlander reccomended that i could collect tree buds, stick them on a bit of paper and them write down characteristics, bark etc heres the first one
DSCF0444.jpg

the bark was grey/brown and had deep ridges. any ideas
i had a little look and i think it may be beech :confused:
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All I can tell you is it doesn't look like beech to me - the buds are too close together. Tak a pic of the tree next time (a distant one and one of the bark and one of a branch) and I'll try to be of more help.

In terms of the write up, describe each stage.

What you were looking for (twwo Y shaped sticks, a cross beam, a branch with a side growth making a hook)

Tell people how long to make each one

Describe how to do the carving. Most people cut the "X" flat first time - it needs to be at an angle sloping away from the branch hook. Describe the cuts in order.

Tricky, isn't it?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok so i write it up and explain each stage, i will do it then add the pics in after
thanks
leon

D

Deleted member 4605

leon-b said:
right, fenlander reccomended that i could collect tree buds, stick them on a bit of paper and them write down characteristics, bark etc heres the first one
DSCF0444.jpg

the bark was grey/brown and had deep ridges. any ideas
i had a little look and i think it may be beech :confused:
leon

It's not a Beech - trust me I've cut enough of them down this weekend. Based on the layout of the buds and your description of the bark I'd say it's a Hornbeam.

D

Deleted member 4605

leon-b said:
hopefully someone else will be along soon to give their oppinion aswell

I'm definitely tending toward Black Poplar now.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i need your help again guys, i am making two metres of cordage to show fenlander and i dont know what to use, i have already made 80 cm of nettle cordage. i am going to make 3 lengths out of different things and tie them together to form 2 metres or over
what can i use which is easy to ID and available now ?
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Got but got to be clematis - so easy to get loooong fibres off - its so simple to find at this time of year...look for something with big fluffy seed heads that look like dandelions but growing on a climbing plant like ivy in a hedge - theres piccs in my fire thread of the seed heads to help with ID. Far, far ,far better than nettle mate

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have seen what i think is clematis where i work, the bark was peeling off, do i use the bark ? i could do this.
also i was just looking at the village website and came across the bird count they do, take a look here

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
just went for about a 4 - 5 mile walk just now, very cold, i saw a curlew, rabbit tracks, deer tracks, a deer den and a track that looked like a badgers it was about fist size and had 4 or 5 claws it was hard to tell as the snow had covered it a bit but i think it had 5
i also learnt a lesson, dont go out in the freezing cold snow wering just army combats, they got drenched through and my legs were frozen.
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE