list to learn

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I like to take my tripods or pot hangers down when I've finished. It stops others knowing I was there. I tend to put the poles I use up against a tree so that i can use them again next time.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
my dad calls into my nans most days so i will will get my dad to tell my nan to ask my uncle.
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
leon-b said:
i was thinking of a small permenant camp though spamel
leon

If you have that luxury, go for it! I have to try and make things look normal as it is a training area for all different armies to include the Dutch, aswell as us Brits and the Germans. It is a fantastic area, and i know I won't have anywhere near as good when I move back to Britain this year coming, but at least I'll understand people when they insult me!

I checked my camp the other day and it was in pristine condition, I don't think anyone has been there since I was there last!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
spamel what do you think i should put there i was thinking of a couple of shelters, a big pot hanger capable of hanging about 4 pots at once and a table made of branches
what else do you think i should include ?
what shelters do you think i should make ? i like the design of the one i slept in at kevins

leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
tommorow i am going to start making myself another spoon as my last on went to the kitchen and gets used every day
its going to be about 15 cm long with a deep bowl so that i can eat with it
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think a leaf litter design with an open front to use with a fire would be good for the summer. You could build a simple lean to, or a semi domed type like the Ray Mears episode where the guy roofs it with large sheets of birch bark. Just build up the leaf litter instead.

Try and get a section of a tree trunk to use as a chopping block, you will need that this summer when you start carving a lot. As for cooking over a fire, why not build a permenant swing arm type pot hanger? You can see it here under the fireplaces section at the bottom of the page. The arm can swing out away from the fire, and you can raise and lower the arm aswell. Make sure you don't use cordage that will melt!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
well we just rung my nan and she said that she thinks the woods we are talking about is my uncles brothers and not his but she said she will ask him, if not i will have to ask him if he has any other woods we could use
leon

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
the best thing i can think of is just spend time out side, youll be suprised how much you pick up from doing nothing, just being there, you wont even relise your learning

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
do i get a prize if it is :D :lmao:
im not sure but it sure is long, i think people are put of posting on this thread now as they dont know what we are talking about
it has a mine of information though
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
leon-b said:
i think people are put of posting on this thread now as they dont know what we are talking about
it has a mine of information though
leon

Thats okay Leon - we don't know what we are talking about either mate :D

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
British Red said:
Thanks Jason for the axe instruction and well done Leon for listening! Nice "choked" hold on the splitting there mate ;)

Now make very sure you get it cleaned and mirror sharp before you put it away!

Red
no worrys I just want leon to be a safe bushcrafter and get the best out of it .leon you and your dad are always welcome to my woods just give me a pm and we will sort out a weekend.just take your time when using blades theres no rush and always have a first aid kit with you :)

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
BOD said:
Maybe there should be a prize :)

You have certainly done us a service by starting it and even though it got a bit rocky for a while the outcome is good.

I think the prize is all the knowledge here!

Certainly don't stop now, we are enjoying it too much.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes jason i would love to come to your woods when i am not busy, do you know ho long it would take to get there from shotley
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE