list to learn

Leon in his shelter.....

Leoninshelter.jpg
[/IMG]

Leon preparing pheasant for roasting...

Leonprepingpheasant.jpg
[/IMG]

Jason Sears preparing to cook his "Tesco" caught Salmon....

Jasonprepingsalmon-3.jpg
[/IMG]

Our group shelter....

Groupshelter.jpg
[/IMG]

Evening in the group shelter

Eveningingroupshelter.jpg
[/IMG]

Leon cooking breakfast for us.....

Leoncookingsausages.jpg
[/IMG]

Reactions: British Red

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
great pictures mate its a shame i wasnt smiling though lol, mine will be up in a little while
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes fenlander but the thing is jason had a little bit to drink so it was easier for him to smile :lmao:
heres my photos sorry for the quality but they were from a phone

heres where i slept
meet001ws1.jpg

heres me cooking the sausages
meet002iv6.jpg

heres another group shelter
meet003fe9.jpg

heres fenlander helping me process pig intestines into cordage
meet004xf5.jpg

heres me having a go at splitting with my axe after jasons guidance
meet006yy9.jpg

heres me limbing a tree
meet007qy7.jpg

leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Good photos guys!! Leon, what was your shelter thatched with? I've only used leaf litter but that looks like long grass or reeds. My shelter that i made in October is still up in a quiet area on the Training Area that doesn't get used. I visited it today and I reckon it will take 20 minutes next week just topping up the leaf litter to get it back up to scratch. All that time stood without any maintenance and it is still in good nick!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i cant remember what we used im sure fenlander will remind me, i think it was called something like sedge grass or sedge seed
leon

leon-b said:
i cant remember what we used im sure fenlander will remind me, i think it was called something like sedge grass or sedge seed
leon

It was Saw Sedge (Cladium mariscus)

http://www.plant-identification.co.uk/skye/cyperaceae/cladium-mariscus.htm

It's unpleasant stuff to work with due it's saw-like teeth along it's edges, but gives a really good covering. It's traditionally used by thatchers on the ridges of reed thatched roofs.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i started off sleeping in a t shirt and a fleece but i got so hot i took of my fleece and used it as a pillow instead
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes sounds great
just give me a pm when youve spoke to your mate
how long do you think it will be before i get an answer ?
leon

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Looks like a great time in the woods. A lot of good learning and some great fellows to teach you the right way.

You do need to learn a smile though, how could you not smile on a trip like that?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Jason for the axe instruction and well done Leon for listening! Nice "choked" hold on the splitting there mate ;)

Now make very sure you get it cleaned and mirror sharp before you put it away!

Red

Reactions: Fenlander

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes im going to give it a sharpen tommorow, me and my dad were talking about my uncles land and that if i asked him if i could use it he wouldnt mind at all, im going to ask him next weekend, he's got woods and we are hoping to build a few shelters and camp there every now and then as its only 30 mins away from our house, if i used it a few times and then asked him if me and my dad could have small controled fires im sure he wouldnt mind he'd probebly say 'thats what boys should be doing
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well done Leon - make sure you give something back - uncle or not, thats a rare privilege - clear some bramble, beat a couple of shoots for free, whatever it takes. Make sure you invite Kevin for a stay over too (so long as its okay with your Uncle) - I think he's earned that at least - and you'll learn a lot about the land!

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i will
what sort of things shall i set up there i was thinking of a few shelters and a big pot hanger so that when i have a few people over we can cook alot, i like fenlanders pot hanger
i was thinking of inviting over kevin, jason and rod as this weekends meet was really fun, and whilst they where there they could help me set up some shelters and pot hangers
cant wait untill i get permission, im pretty sure i will as my uncle likes to see that im into bushcraft shooting that type of thing
leon

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I had a good morning, the pig intestine cordage was really impressive! thanks for inviting me Fenlander!

And keep on going Leon!

Take care all,

Ash

Reactions: Fenlander

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE