list to learn

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Remember what we said at the begininning though - there is lots of good info on his site - be sure you read carefully before you ask too many questions when the answers are already out there!

Red

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
tony sent me a pm earlier saying that because i have already payed for subscription he will give me a free year of subscription so now im sorted for 2 years
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
cant wait to meet up with kevin and a few others this weekend, its going to be my first time sleeping in a shelter
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well with any luck, your axe will be there in plenty of time Leon so you will be able to get some instruction in safe use in fairly quickly :D I'm sure you would be patient, but, if I recall being 14, patience is a tricky thing to find.

Oh, hang on, it still is :)

One day, maybe, we'll actually get it together and make an outing at the same time!

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes all this talking and kit exchanging and we still havent met, we will have to one day
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi red please can you tell me when your mate has sent the axe, just wondering how would you send an axe through the post
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I expect it went out today Leon, he told me he would try

As for how..ermm...wrapped is usually best :D

Seriously, a good coat of bubble wrap and a box for smaller ones is all it takes. They have come through fine to me like that once or twice...or three...or

Usually takes a couple or three days so start watching the post box Wednesday / Thursday okay?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
will do, if no one is in will it be left with a neighbour or will it be sent back to parcel force, royal mail or who ever it is posted with for my dad to pick it up
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok mate i will take photos when it gets to me, my mum said that once i have had a bit of training by kevin and the others she may let me fell a 10 ft conifer we have in the garden but there is a fence about half a foot behind it, from what ive read would it be best to
cut a v into the tree towards the fence and then from the fence side cut in with a saw
the tree is about 7 inches in diameter
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
my sheath from rapid boy arrived today and although it is a christmas present i persuaded my mum that i needed to check that it fits i also persuaded her that i needed to open my firesteel which also was for christmas and check that it fitted in the firesteel loop
i told her that when i meet up with kevin at the weekend that i needed to use my AA LED maglite, she said yes lol
leon

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Leon,

My son is 14 and "lives" in the woods on our land. He is planning to take a one month trek when he graduates High School. We have been making and purchasing gear (kit) for him for a couple years now. And still a lot to learn and practice.

He says he is taking the backpack and tent as backup only. He will hide it in the woods once he gets to the forrest where he will camp. He wants to make shelter and eat fresh off the land.

I wish all boys could have the chance to learn and do the things we take for granted sometimes. Your many questions and enthusiastic responses remind of my own son.

I hope someday you will meet up and camp together.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
how long has your son been learning bushcraft
leon

Since he was about 10 or so, we've camped in a tent since he was 6 and he learned a lot about the woods and animals. Then he got into American Native history and primitive living/survival/hunting/trapping. We also had a shooting sports club where he and his sisters got expert marksman in pistol and rifle.

I have a friend who makes recurve bows and will be helping him make his own custom take down recurve for his expedition into the mountains of Vermont near the Canadian border. He will be old enough to carry a rifle but he prefers to hunt with bow and arrow.

It is much easier to learn such things here as we are out in the country on a small farm with woods all around. His scout troop is run in the old tradition with leaders who grew up in the woods. Not so PC as the ones in the cities.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE