list to learn

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yup - just deep fry it till it stops fizzing Leon - be careful though and mind out for fat fires and spitting near your eyes and skin (no really - be bloody careful - hot oil and water = spitting - spitting hot oil and stove = chip pan fire)

You have been warned - get dad on standby I says

Red

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
well i kept it in there untill it stopped fizzing and its turned out quite good, i will go for a tent peg next and then wait untill i have a crook knife to try the others, i would like to work my way up to a kuksa
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
leon-b said:
yes my mum warned me before i done it
leon
Cool - well done mum!

Looking forward to seeing Kevins photos of the finished article! Tent pegs are dead quick if you rough 'em out with an axe Leon

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
well i dont have an axe so i will have to use my knife
what crook knife do you reccomend ?
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use a single sided right handed one by Frosts - seems to work okay for me!

I do hope an axe is on your list to Santa?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i was thinking about getting the single sided frosts
see i have a cheap axe but it is blunt and a bit ruined it also has a metal hande, any suggestions on how to do it up ?
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That a big job Leon - generally takes hours and hours even with power tools to avoid ruining the blade temper. I can guide you a little bit or better yet, have a word with Old Jimbo if he's around ever (Old Jimbo is the master axe restorer). It can be done with hand tools (files and wet and dry), but you would probably trash a couple of files in the doing of it - and it would take..ooooh 3 or 4 hard days work I reckon.

Hmm well, its a useful bit of Bushcrafter kit no question, but maybe a folding Laplander saw would be more helpful in the short term anyway (£15 from Amzon - just like Ray Mears uses). Still - like I said - theres alway Xmas ;)

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes if its that much work i think i will give it a miss, i was thinking of getting a laplander anyway, what shall i buy first laplander or crook knife, i cant decide
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, in the field, the laplander is more useful. For fiddling around at home, the crook knife gets used more. Oh, if carving with a crook knife, you apsoblimminlutely must wear a heavy glove on your hand holding the work piece. Really. No Sh**. I know at least 4 guys who have stitches from these things. Get some heavy rigger gloves from a garden centre if nothing else - better yet a chainmail filleting glove (really) or a cut proof kevlar glove. Otherwise I will open a sweepstake on the number of stitches you will need

I bet 5 - anyone else in?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
lol making bets on me now
i think i will go for the laplander first
as for the gloves i will get some heavy garden gloves
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have £15 and i am workin tommorow so thats another £15
now i can get both lol
leon

I've just completed this Leon (not oiled yet though).

Birchbowl.jpg
[/IMG]

You could try making one out Walnut. It needs a bit of axe work initially, but then you just need a knife, saw and spoon knife.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thats nice, how long did it take you to carve, i should be getting a spoon knife soon so i should be able to start a bit more complex carving, maybe a few simpler carvings then i will move onto stuff like that
leon

leon-b said:
thats nice, how long did it take you to carve, i should be getting a spoon knife soon so i should be able to start a bit more complex carving, maybe a few simpler carvings then i will move onto stuff like that
leon

There is several hours work in that one as it started as half of a birch log.

Once you've completed a couple of spoons, you should be able to make something like that (especially with the speed at which you pick things up :cool: )

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Fenlander said:
(especially with the speed at which you pick things up :cool: )
i'll take that as a complement :D
yes i cant wait untill i get my spoon knife im really looking forward to improving my carving skills and eventually carving something like that
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi guys
i have just bought a laplander saw, a frosts crook knife and ray mears essential bushcraft
hope to be doing a bit of carving soon
ps: im now writing my christmas list, my mum said i can have £100, what do you think i should put on there, one thing no axes at the moment as i need time to persuade my mum to let me have one lol, once i have persuaded her though i think i will go for the GB wildlife hatchet

leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Beautiful work that Kevin - really nice, wish I could carve so nicely!

Leon,

Kind of hard to say what you should get - you've got a knife, jacket, spoon knife saw and billy can. Think you have a tarp and hammock now?

Hmm heres a few things to think about

1. Good boots. If your feet are still growing I wouln't go too mad though (£40 and upwards)
2. Good sleeping bag (Nanok or the like) (say about £75)
3. Good pack - something like a Sabre 45 and a couple of side pouches (£65 for the pack, £30 for the pouches)

A stove is always handy but to be honest you could pick up a Swedish army trangia for around £10

Good Silva compass is handy - £20 - £30

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you are after a Swedish Army Trangia, Raeer do them cheap and I think even with postage to UK, it would be cheaper than what you see on Ebay! I got mine for €7.50 :D

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have aswedish army trangia, i have a silva compass, i have a 2 packs and 1 daysack, i have a good sleeping bag although a bit bulky, yes i have a hammock and tarp
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE