list to learn

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i would love to make one over the weekend it would be better to have some guidence at first rather than go it alone
is a kennel shelter like a lean to but very low, like the one where we met the first time
leon

leon-b said:
yes i would love to make one over the weekend it would be better to have some guidence at first rather than go it alone
is a kennel shelter like a lean to but very low, like the one where we met the first time
leon

Debrisshelter-sawsedge2.jpg
[/IMG]

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
spamel said:
How about making one of those bladed whirly things that Australian Aborigines and Mick Dundee use for communicating? There was a thread on another forum about it, I'll take a look and see if I can find it.
I think the one croc dundee used was an atlatl as well as a noise maker, seem to recall seeing one similar on a site somewhere? IIRC Eric Methven was playing with one at a meet up, he might be able to help.

Just looked at the link you posted, should have looked properly before :rolleyes: Eric is already there!

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Leon have you tried carving a wooden knife? Can be used as a letter opener or a butter knife and can be as fancy or as simple as you want I made one for my youngest to play with and it came out better than I expected.

The venture scouts don't exist anymore, a coupel of years ago there was a change around :( , your age (14-18) is covered by explorer scouts. Go down to anywhere that scouts meet and ask around they will let you know when and where explorers meet. I would suggest too in "shopping around" to find a unit that would suit you, as with any similar organisation the unit is only as good as its leaders. Some units do more outdoory stuff than others, if there are a couple of units that you could get to and the first one you try don't do a lot don't give up on the idea, have a look for a more suitable unit.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes a butter knife i will add that to my list, i have emailed them about some info and where my local one is and i hope they will get back to me soon
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have just finished carving my ladel i didnt carve it out of the walnut i used some other wood i had lying around, its sanded not to a perfect finish but fairly good i didnt bother to get it perfect as it is going to be a user, i know that you now oil it but what oil do you reccomend and how do you apply it
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok i think i have some of that, i will use that, how did you apply it to your spoon
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
what shall i heat it with, would a hair dryer do
how hot does it need to be
and how long shall i leave it in the oil for
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
sorry but the cameras broken, maybe fenlander can take some when we meet up and then i will post them
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks mate
so how do i apply the oil ?
do i heat up the oil in a pan and then just drop the spoon in
how much oil ?
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
well i am just waiting for the oil to heat up and then im going to drop it in
i dont know if that is how you do it but even if it is wrong it wont harm it so i decided to go for it
will let you know how i get on
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE