list to learn

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
British Red said:
He put Walnut in his woodburner :(
yes it went in his woodburner

fenlander we were thinking of cutting them first and then placing them in a ziplock bag
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i just thought i would tell you that i am thinking about quiting cadets, my reason being is that it is full of people who mess around all of the time, and for punishment we do marching, now marching is fine and i understand that there is a set amount of marching that they have to teach us but it really gets on my nerves when people mess around and spoil it for others
i still would like to be in a sort of club i was thinking venture scouts or something
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm really sorry to hear that Leon :(

I think you could learn a lot in either organisation but it does depend on people being serious enough to let you learn! Cadets will give you access to some things that scouts won't (e.g. lots of shooting, military courses later and so forth). Scouts also has some upsides too (less military orientation - more camping orientation etc.).

Part of the problem is you are unusually mature for your age (it seems to me) and have a genuine interest in things other than hooded sweatshirts and alcopops.

Don't lose heart and keep learning what you can from the likes of Kevin. In a few more years, you can choose a lot more as to who you associate with. 14 is a horrible age (I remember it as being some of the WORST years of my life - despite what people tell you). Above all else, keep your good attitude and don't let those "messing about" drag you down to their level - the skills you are building now by being interested and alert will serve you well in alter life buddy

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks red
what do you think of venture scouts, i cant remember who but someone pm'd me a couple of months ago about it but cadets was on the same days as it
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Why not mate? I had good fun in the scouts at your age...good opportunities for camping etc. thats for sure - might well open a few doors to getting some land to use for bushcrafting too ("I'm doing a venture scout camp" sounds a lot better than "can I light fires on your land please" huh?). I know Stovie does a lot with the scouts and there are quite a few other leaders on the forum - they even have their own section - I should ask them if I was you - my knowledge is eerrrrr old? :D

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok thanks mate
someone told me that there was venture scouts in ipswich (near where i live) but i cant remember who
maybe i will start a thread in the leaders forum asking about the venture scouts and stuff what do you reckon
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have started a new thread and hopefully that will give me some ideas and information
sooooo any more ideas or suggestions what i could do with the walnut
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
How about a spoon or kuksa? I like carving bookmarks and toggles. I also carve leaves which I drill a hole in and use as extensions to zips and kit markers. A spatula for stirring stuff in your Billy is easy...

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
probably a spatula as i dont yet have a crook knife, the next piece of kit on my list is a laplander folding saw
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
How about making one of those bladed whirly things that Australian Aborigines and Mick Dundee use for communicating? There was a thread on another forum about it, I'll take a look and see if I can find it.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
sounds good, maybe i'll compile a list of things to carve and just work my way through them, starting with the easier ones and working my way up, i think i will have to buy a crook knife now i am thinking the single sided frost
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It's a good knife for carving spoons and bowls, but I am thinking of getting a draw knife, crooked knife or a farriers/hoof knife for carving. I think the draw knife would be good for larger projects, but not really essential, so a hoof or crooked knife will probably be my final choice! I've gotta do some research though.

Still haven't found that link, but I will soon!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE