list to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes there is an icon and i have drawn a grid around it
thanks for teaching me how to do a plan for meals, now all i have to do is cook it all
thanks leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
so i cook all of it using hot coals
how big does the fire need to be
and will a hatchet be ok to split the log

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
leon-b said:
yes there is an icon and i have drawn a grid around it
thanks for teaching me how to do a plan for meals, now all i have to do is cook it all
thanks leon

You are welcome mate,

Remember it doesn't have to be a plan for meals - you can use the same technique for rigging a camp up - you just start from the beiginning

Step 1 - rig tarp up
Step 2 hang rucksack under tarp
Step 3 etc. etc.

Anything that seems complicated can be broken down to simple, calm steps. Having a plan, a list of needed materials and some preparation tasks makes any tricky job easier. When you've done it once, change the plan to reflect how long it really took (bannock only needed 25 minutes, bacon needed 15 minutes etc.). It will be a much better plan then the next time

Do practice the meal if you can - even on the stove at home

Good luck mate

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok thanks mate, i will practice it on the home cooker
i cooked bannock the other day on my cooker

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
leon-b said:
so i cook all of it using hot coals
how big does the fire need to be
and will a hatchet be ok to split the log

The fire needs to be cooking fire sized...err....6 or 7 12" long wrist thick logs burned to coals should work. You only need to split the log for the bacon a bit (so it has a clean flat side to pin the bacon on - a job for Dad I would say - makes him feel important - should be okay with a hatchet - otherwise use a stick like Spamel suggested!

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi red i have compiled a list of books which i wish to buy one by one when i have the money here they are
• wild food
• A cook on the wild side - Hugh fearnley-whittingstall
• Bushcraft – Richard graves
• Wildwood wisdom – Ellsworth Jaeger
• Deadfalls and snares – A.R.harding
• Recipes for rouging it easy – Dian Thomas
• Camp life in the woods and the tricks of trapping – W Hamilton Gibson
• Woodsmanship – Bernard.s.mason
• How to survive in the woods – Bradford angier
• Living of nature – Judy urquhart
• Animal traps and trapping – James A. Bateman
• The poachers handbook – Ian Niall
• Primitive outdoor skills – Richard L. Jamison
• Shelters, shacks and shanties – D .C .Beard
• Outdoors survival handbook – Ray Mears
• Botany in a day – Thomas J. elpel
if there are any whic are not very good or you have a better book to put in please tell me

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Leon, the Richard Graves book is very good if you can find it. To have a look and see if it is for you, click this link and it will take you to this book online. As I see it, there were 10 bushcraft books made, some sort of pamphlet, and they were collated and made into the book Bushcraft. Try Abebooks to find that book, you may find it cheap there but it can be expensive sometimes.

I also keep an eye out in those back street second hand bookstores for any bushcraft type books, a mate of my brothers found Ray Mears Survival handbook in great condition and paid a fiver!!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have been on that website before and its a great site with loads of info so i suppose its a book that i'll like
i will get that book first and then maybe some of ray mears
one subject i would like to learn alot more in is backwoods cooking do you know of any good books on this subject
thanks leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
To be quite honest, I just experiment a bit with stuff, sometimes you get a bit hungry when it goes wrong though! I have Huge Furry Whitllingtools Cook on the Wild Side, and it is a good book to learn what you can use from hedgerows and the like. He cooks them at home though, but you just apply knowledge from home cooking and translate that into cooking outdoors. It's best to try and keep things simple, complicated things tend to go wrong easily, which is why I like to try and grill sausages and bacon by putting them onto sticks other than trying to make a greenwood grill to place over the fire. I'm not saying it's wrong or anything, I just like to do things easily without burning too many calories!!

I also get hold of beans in a carton instead of a tin and like to boil them up in the billy with some spices and a handful of rice thrown in for bulk, don't forget to add some water though or it will be very dry and will burn and stick to your billy can. Don't ask me how I know that!! :rolleyes:

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i think i will buy a cook on the wild side as it seems a good book
i am going camping next weekend and i am cooking breakfast on a fire so that should be good practice
thanks leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
now all of you know i am camping next weekend, and that i am cooking on a fire
well i am cooking bacon on a split log and all i have to split the log is a hatchet, red said that it would be ok though
the thing is the hatchets blunt does anyone have any tips on sharpening an axe
thanks leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i looked and sure enough there was a little bit about sharpening axes, but not much
i will search the net and see what i can find
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
will do
my mate is also coming camping with us, he also likes bushcraft but only just got into bushcraft as i was the one who got him into it, hopefully i can teach him how to make nettle cordage and some other skills i know
leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well done Leon - thats the spirit mate - you learn from Fenlander and teach someone else in return - that shows a very decent spirit!

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks mate
alot of people have told me that a good way to learn is to teach so that is what im doing, he will be happy to have some new skills aswell.
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE