Lightweight/and quality built tent info wanted.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Im currently a tarp user, but after a few winter wetouts/not wet because of the tarp but getting wet then having a tarp to get changed under whilst continuing to downpoor and blow a gale etc, i think im going to revert back to a tent type shelter when the weather forecast is for those conditions.

What im looking for is a very light well made tent that will last, ive been looking at the shangri la 3 on backpacking light, anyone any experiance of this, and things like the vango ultralight 100, although i would prefer a two person, incase someones with me, or i just fancy more space,

can anyone help.

cheers Andy.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I had a Hex 3.

I could never get used to putting it up, although when I talk about it, I want one again for the sheer space inside it. Brilliant for 2 people and their kit, or 1 and lots of spare room.

I now have a Wild Country (Terra Nova) Tristar which I really enjoy. It's good at everything, except it's a bit heavy compared to some lightweight tents.

From what I hear, Terra Nova's tents generally are superb and built to last. Very pricey though.

Just my input. ;)

Funny, tonight I'm thinking about trying out sleeping under tarp as I've never tried it. The only thing putting me off is the wind in the face. Isn't that a problem if it's an exposed site?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Can be a problem, i was away for a night in January it was very windy and the site quite exposed, i did block off one end of the tarp with a poncho but was still not the best nights sleep and woke up to find myself half buried in leaves, cheers for the info by the way, should have put this point up as well another reason i was drawn to the hex 3 was the roof height, whilst away last November my brother and me sharing his tent we both got soaked during the day, and trying to both get out of wet and into dry clothes at the end of the day in his tent was a struggle,bassically involved rolling from side to side as theres no real head room forget the model he's got but its a two man North face. Prophecy what was the quality like on the hex? can you elaborate on the problems putting it up?, i see what you mean about Terra nova's being pricey, nice looking tents but most are out of price range for now was looking at up to £200 really

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
IIRC the height of the apex in the Hex 3 was 5' 8 or something. Quite small. There's not a lot more you can do in it than say godestic design tents because of that height. You can stand up and crouch over to try and change, but I could only ever do it for so long as it hurts the back so much! So it's really sit down, or on the knees, but no standing up. That was my experience anyway. I'm only 6' BTW.

And that's the apex height, so unless you have a cone shaped head then its even more restrictive naturally due to the shape of it.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
My Terra Nova was a bargain at £100 in a local hiking store! It was display model, but brand new.

Regarding the problems with pitching - I can't think of any flaws in the design as such, it's just that I could never get it right! I would peg the loops out and then either put in the pole, or use cord between two trees, but then I would have to readjust the pegs again once I realised it wasn't right. Then I would adjust the cord height again and so on...

Probably just me being daft though.

Quality was great from what I remember. Survived gale force winds and very heavy downpours, with no leaking in through the top vents as a lot of people have seemed to have problems with. Tents are great items for buying, trying, and selling on 'cos there's always someone who'll want it and you shouldn't lose too much money.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Im over 6ft and dont have a cone head, but would only be semi standing whilst changing, the rest of time in tent would be sleeping,reading,brewing up just fancied a bit of space.CHEERS for your help i think im gonna take the plunge on one.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Can be a problem, i was away for a night in January it was very windy and the site quite exposed, i did block off one end of the tarp with a poncho but was still not the best nights sleep and woke up to find myself half buried in leaves,

It was only a light shower what's wrong with you man :eek:

What's your budget for the tent Andy ?

I had a Vango micro which was predecessor to the ultralights I think, it was one of the best tents I ever had for the money. Stood up to some pretty serious wind and rain on the Lakeland summits.

What about the 200, £144 from cheaptents

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Im over 6ft and dont have a cone head, but would only be semi standing whilst changing, the rest of time in tent would be sleeping,reading,brewing up just fancied a bit of space.CHEERS for your help i think im gonna take the plunge on one.

:D

My point I guess is that there's no difference semi-standing to sitting on your bottom. While standing, you can only change your bottom half, but your neck is going to be bent down which is very uncomfortable, whereas sitting down is easier in that respect. Pulling a top over your head is a no-no unless you sit on your bottom or on your knees.

Hope that makes sense, and I don't think that should stop you buying it, just saying so. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've a Hex 4 aka Shangri-la great tent, very light. They stand heavy rain and wind no problem.

Pitching it is no problem after a few attempts, if you have the nest as well it will all go up quicker than a tarp and hammock. Stake out the nest and insert the pole, thats the basic structure up, then throw the tent over and stake that too, very simple, easier than pitching the tent only and only takes a few minutes.

As said by Prophecy there is ample room for two plus kit. Build quality is very good, well finished, no loose threads etc. I rig a tarp as a cooking shelter in wet weather unless I am on my own (not often to be honest) when I will cook inside.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Gelert do something called a solo which is a bit bigger than a a hopped bivvy. I use a standard issue tarp along side it. Light weight, packs easy and has stood up to everything the UK can throw at it. Good price as well.

Sandsnakes

wistuart

Jul 15, 2008
Scotland
I've got a hex 3 and love it. Weight and ease of use are comparable with a tarp but it gives all-round protection more like a tent. I deliberately decided against the nest as that puts the weight and price on a par with a relatively high spec tent - if I wanted a tent I'd have bought one. I generally use the hex solo and with my bed space taking up less than a half of the floor area I have ample room for cooking, eating etc if it's too wet and windy to do so outside.
Never had any problems pitching and I find the extra height a real boon as I was never great at getting dressed in the claustrophobic confines of a typicial tent with <1m max head room.
As much as possible, I try and pitch using the top notch and cord as I find the internal pole, if used, greatly reduces the practical space available.
I'm 6'3" BTW.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Can be a problem, i was away for a night in January it was very windy and the site quite exposed, i did block off one end of the tarp with a poncho ...

If you experiment with your tarp set up, you can rig it to give good wind protection.

I was out last weekend, and the wind was howling down the valley - it sounded like a train comimg towards me. I rigged the tarp with one end and the sides pegged to the floor, but with the "door" open.
DSCN2980.jpg

The picture shows a standard DD 3m x 3m tarp with no mods. It provided me with total wind protection and I had a great nights sleep, in very windy conditions.

Simon

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Have you thought about a baker style tent. I have one that I had made
out of waterproof ripstop nylon That I use on our horseback camping trips has A Lot of room for my wife and I with all our gear.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cheers for the input guys got some ideas to think about although im still swayed by the hex, mainly due to simpilcity,weight,space, i will still use a tarp but just want more options.Traderran i can only assume even made out of ripstop nylon that a baker style tent will be quite heavy? i really want the lightest without losing out on quality i can get.

Andy.

Rich my budget is no more than £200 quid would like to spend less than that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE