Lightweight 2 person tent, dedicated porch and head room?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Have you looked at the alpkit offerings? They are mostly inner pitch first but other than that may suit
Some of those are extremely competitively priced given their also competitive weights, great shout. The inner first thing is a real catch though.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Robens did copy absolutely shameless the best selling Hilleberg constructions.

You can get here a superior design for a relatively low price in an unknown quality.

But like this you seem to avoid heavy construction faults.

Oof, too heavy for me! I appreciate you noting the design copy though.

Reactions: Erbswurst

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
The same goes for the length of the inner tent. If you're not too tall, you can probably get away with having a steeply sloping inner tent even if sleeping on an inflated mat without getting the bottom of your sleeping bag and your head wet, but if you're over 6 ft tall, it starts getting problematic. I'm not that tall and sleep curled up on my side, so I don't have much of an issue with touching the inner tent, but I still put something waterproof around the footbox of my sleeping bag if I can. For my DH that is crucial, or he's likely to have a soggy sleeping bag in the morning if there's a build up of condensation during the night. I got the Rogen because it was lightweight enough for me to carry on my own, but also b/c the inner is not sloping as much on some of our other tents, so more space and less likely to touch the inner.
It has certainly been an issue for me in the past in no name tents, and even then that was on thinner foam mats (hateful things). It's all the more likely to be a problem now with the thick Exped, so the steep sides are something I'm keeping an eye out for.

And that leads me to the conclusion of all this, which is in a discussion with a dealer about either an MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 or Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL 2.

Steep sides for the sleep mat space, lots of head room, pretty lightweight, small pack size, only slightly over budget with discount codes, relatively robust for most of our three season weather over here.

But neither actually has the porch design I set out wanting...but what they do both have, is an add on porch tent (MSR Gear Shed which basically turns the tent into the Hubba Tour 2 and Big Agnes Copper Hotel HV UL 2). So if I do and up enjoying tenting, I can buy the extra space if/when the trip requires it, and thereby have a smaller light tent, which can be expanded as and when needed. The prices for those extra modules are all over the shop over here, so it's a case of importing from the US, but only if I actually find I 'need' them.

So thank you all for your recommendations and for sharing your expertise.

It'll be an MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 or Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL 2...Or a second hand Hilleberg Nallo 2 if I crumble to the gods of more weight, more money, less interior space and more pack room but oooh sturdy :surrender:

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
It has certainly been an issue for me in the past in no name tents, and even then that was on thinner foam mats (hateful things). It's all the more likely to be a problem now with the thick Exped, so the steep sides are something I'm keeping an eye out for.

And that leads me to the conclusion of all this, which is in a discussion with a dealer about either an MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 or Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL 2.

Steep sides for the sleep mat space, lots of head room, pretty lightweight, small pack size, only slightly over budget with discount codes, relatively robust for most of our three season weather over here.

But neither actually has the porch design I set out wanting...but what they do both have, is an add on porch tent (MSR Gear Shed which basically turns the tent into the Hubba Tour 2 and Big Agnes Copper Hotel HV UL 2). So if I do and up enjoying tenting, I can buy the extra space if/when the trip requires it, and thereby have a smaller light tent, which can be expanded as and when needed. The prices for those extra modules are all over the shop over here, so it's a case of importing from the US, but only if I actually find I 'need' them.

So thank you all for your recommendations and for sharing your expertise.

It'll be an MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2 or Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL 2...Or a second hand Hilleberg Nallo 2 if I crumble to the gods of more weight, more money, less interior space and more pack room but oooh sturdy :surrender:
Congratulations on narrowing it down to two contenders. I don't quite remember what the various Big Agnes tents look like (and it's too late to start googling) but one of my main issues with American tents is that the inner tents tend to be very much mesh and no fabric, and after spending a very drafty winter night in one like that in Snowdonia, I've decided they're not for me and my type of camping. That and pitching inner first ... :)

Reactions: hughtrimble

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Congratulations on narrowing it down to two contenders. I don't quite remember what the various Big Agnes tents look like (and it's too late to start googling) but one of my main issues with American tents is that the inner tents tend to be very much mesh and no fabric, and after spending a very drafty winter night in one like that in Snowdonia, I've decided they're not for me and my type of camping. That and pitching inner first ... :)
It's all thanks to you lot's advice, guidance and suggestions that I've discovered so many options; so thank you all again.

The inner first thing is indeed an issue when stock, but if you get a footprint (which I will be) you can then pitch fly first, or indeed fly only if you so desire.

The mesh/solid mix on inners will always be a potential issue I think; too much mesh and it's chilly, but too little and it's too warm or too little ventilation leading to lots of condensation. I know I run hot and do tend to prefer more airflow when hammocking, so I'm thinking it may be the same tenting? Only one way to find out!

Oh and it really is three contenders, two of you are to blame for the robustness niggle!

Last edited:

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Note that with the big Agnes, if you purchase the additional footprint you can then pitch it outer first.
Yes indeed, a good bonus. Though I don't know if it is really a bonus given the price of the groundsheet at ~£60! At least it's fitted unlike the MSR one though.

I'm looking at DIY options like putting grommets into tyvek, given I think polycryo may not have enough lateral integrity to withstand the tent poles forcing out against it?

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Though I don't know if it is really a bonus given the price of the groundsheet at ~£60!

I'll agree with that, which is why I haven't bought the ground sheet. Personally I think if a tent needs beefing up with an additional groundsheet, it should just have it built in and included. I just use a cheep bit of plastic.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I'll agree with that, which is why I haven't bought the ground sheet. Personally I think if a tent needs beefing up with an additional groundsheet, it should just have it built in and included. I just use a cheep bit of plastic.
It seems to be a race to the bottom in terms of weight for lots of these manufacturers, so they cut everything back and make accessories/add-ons for the things you need to make them suitable for use!

I've therefore much appreciated the approach of Naturehike in this search, who include a groundsheet in the package and total weight listed. Or e.g. Luxe who have it as a modular package where you have to buy all of the components one at a time from the outset.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland

Check this out. :)

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France

Check this out. :)
At 5.44 kg, its name is definitely appropriate for its method of carry! Very good headroom though.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The inner tent of a usual Hilleberg construction protects you against condensat rain. The wind hits off the water at the inside of the outer tent. The inner tent catches it. Mesh windows you find at most Hilleberg tents build in absolutely vertically and you can close them with fabric.

Other, especially very light tents just come with a mosquito net inner. That's obviously made for other than British weather conditions.

(For Hilleberg tents you can buy such pure mesh inner tents seperately.)

And a lot of makers don't seem to understand what they do and sew in somewhere mesh and somewhere fabric.

I don't mean that all other tent makers apart from Hilleberg would be unable to sew bad weather inner tents. But I think most of them are unable.

I assume that most tents on the market are constructed by people who don't try out the own constructions in all weather conditions. They just serve the international summer camping clients, and for example in France, Italy and most parts of Germany they work well during the summer.

But that doesn't mean that they will serve well in Britain. My Luxe Silhexpeak V4a for example was uncomfortable only in Normandy and northern Brittany, nowhere else in France.

Last edited:

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
I know you are homing in on big Agnes, but I'll throw a curve ball in, terra nova have a sale on

Slightly heavier than you want, but they do look good, pitch fly and inner together which generally means that you can pitch fly first and add the inner later

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That are also Hilleberg copies.
The one man tent they tried to differ a bit that it doesn't look like the Akto and made some relevant faults.
The airing windows are also here a bit too small. They obviously don't need so much oxygen and like moisture.
Or these tents are rather meant for areas where Latin dialects are still spoken.

But at these constructions you could leave the doors open if it's not too windy.

You don't get a Porsche for the price of a Vauxhall. But a Vauxhall serves a lot of people well.

A used Hilleberg tent doesn't need expensive spare parts though, unlike a used Porsche. If you can get one, so take it! They have an excellent client and repair service if needed, which is cheap. A new floor they sew into your old tent for approximately 100 € for example.

If you inform other makers that the floor of their tent is destroyed you can be happy if they inform you about that everybody in the office made a sad face and that they wish you good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: gibson 175

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
The one man tent they tried to differ a bit that it doesn't look like the Akto and made some relevant faults.
The airing windows are also here a bit too small. They obviously don't need so much oxygen and like moisture.
Or these tents are rather meant for areas where Latin dialects are still spoken.

But at these constructions you could leave the doors open if it's not too windy.

You don't get a Porsche for the price of a Vauxhall. But a Vauxhall serves a lot of people well.

A used Hilleberg tent doesn't need expensive spare parts though, unlike a used Porsche. If you can get one, so take it! They have an excellent client and repair service if needed, which is cheap. A new floor they sew into your old tent for approximately 100 € for example.

If you inform other makers that the floor of their tent is destroyed you can be happy if they inform you about that everybody in the office made a sad face and that they wish you good luck.
I'm not sure this is correct about only Hilleberg taking care of their customers with repairs. I've seen quite a few testimonials about Big Agnes and MSR being very good at replacing parts for free, and providing very reasonable repair costs to tears etc. Now, I can't comment on this myself as I've not owned their tents (yet!), but Hilleberg's response seems quite standard to me for what is doubtless a premium product.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to hear they have good aftersales care, but I'd be more surprised if you said that they didn't!

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Another vote for the MSR Elixir 2 here! I've had mine 2-3 years and it's a fantastic tent which meets your criteria.
People get a bit tetchy about it being an inner pitch first tent, but I really don't see it as a problem simply because it's such a quick and easy tent to pitch (I'm talking a minute or so from opening the bag to getting it covered with the flysheet).
But, with that said, it can be pitched outer first, it's just a bit more of a faff and it would have to be absolutely chucking it down with stair-rods before I'd even consider pitching the outer first. I've pitched it a couple of times in steady rain and it doesn't really get a chance to get wet before you're chucking the flysheet over it.

Another suggestion from me would be the Luxe Hexpeak range of tents. I have the V4A which is their one person offering and it's awesome. But, if I was you, I'd consider the F6 which is the same design but bigger, it will easily accommodate 2 people plus kit and have lots of vestibule space for admin/cooking. The hexpeak/tipi design is rock solid and will stand up to some very harsh weather conditions. Best of all, Bob from Backpackinglight (the UK distributor) is a top bloke to deal with.

Reactions: hughtrimble

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
I really like the look of these for woodsy stuff, especially given the flexibility with the line hang or pole. I can definitely see myself in one solo, but I've gone off the interior for two people inside the inner compartment due to the proximity of the person nearest the sloping edge when pushed right up against it on a thick inflatable mat. Perhaps that's misguided?
no..........

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk

Tunnels tents have been around for years. I have 3 Terra Nova tents (including a blizzard 2) and the quality is very good. Terra Nova are a British company (been around for over 40 years) and produce tents very much for the northern top half of Europe! The Terra Nova Quasar is an iconic geodesic tent that pioneered lightweight mountain tents.
I know of at least two people who have sent Hilleberg back from new because the stitching was poor they had to cajole the distributer to get them returned and sorted.
I own an Akto and it is no better and maybe slightly worse than my laser comp for internal condensation and the heavier fabric of the Akto wets out much more when you pack it up damp/wet than the silicon nylon of the laser comp.

Reactions: Erbswurst

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Another vote for the MSR Elixir 2 here! I've had mine 2-3 years and it's a fantastic tent which meets your criteria.
People get a bit tetchy about it being an inner pitch first tent, but I really don't see it as a problem simply because it's such a quick and easy tent to pitch (I'm talking a minute or so from opening the bag to getting it covered with the flysheet).
But, with that said, it can be pitched outer first, it's just a bit more of a faff and it would have to be absolutely chucking it down with stair-rods before I'd even consider pitching the outer first. I've pitched it a couple of times in steady rain and it doesn't really get a chance to get wet before you're chucking the flysheet over it.

Another suggestion from me would be the Luxe Hexpeak range of tents. I have the V4A which is their one person offering and it's awesome. But, if I was you, I'd consider the F6 which is the same design but bigger, it will easily accommodate 2 people plus kit and have lots of vestibule space for admin/cooking. The hexpeak/tipi design is rock solid and will stand up to some very harsh weather conditions. Best of all, Bob from Backpackinglight (the UK distributor) is a top bloke to deal with.
I was very set on the MSR Hubba Hubba nx, but I've been dithering and thinking about versatility etc. so it's on the back burner for the moment. The Elixir 2 does look good, especially given the price and space.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE