Tarp Tent Configuration with Door

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
Hi all,

Has anyone managed to fix a poncho to the front of 3x3 tarp tent configuration in order to give it some type of doorway?

Too wet/cold to actually go out out and try it for myself at the moment but I'm looking at the DD tarp and Helikon Tex poncho which is my existing kit.

Steve

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I've not tried this - but Simon a bloke in the woods has a video that looks to be on a similar idea, I confess I've not yet got round to watching it though.

Reactions: 66jj99

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I have experimented with a separate 'Door' in the past, Steve. I cut a basic triangle from an old fly sheet from a dead tent. I've used it a quite few times in wet and windy weather as a door on my Tarp Tent set ups when a good weather forecast has gone wobbly. As it is not permanently fixed I usually carry it anyway and I can interchange it between various Tarps. It's purely a triangle with a webbing loop at each point. Top point goes up and under the tent opening and hooks on the support pole(s), the other two just peg out either close in for closure or further out which allows me to cook under cover. I kept the dimensions big because I use it on my 4x4 Tarp as well. It weighs nothing and I sometimes just use it for kneeling on damp ground or just peg it at an angle to the tent opening to act as a wind shield.

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
Cheers both.

Recently moved house and unfortunately threw out a load of old tent fabric due to space constrictions but that's the type of thing I was thinking about.

All my kit is still in storage so I've not had a chance to experiment to see how big an area the poncho will cover yet

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Do you know that you can set over a triangular base a fully enclosed pyramide using a square tarp?

How to do that is explained in one of the videos in the collection of educational films in this forum.

Reactions: StevieE

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
The typical 3x3 tarp tent configuration can also be amended by not pulling back the sides. Instead of the beak, the whole front is pulled together forming a smaller opening. Hidden valley bushcraft shows this better than I can describe at around 6 mins in:

A good resource for tarplogy is papahiker, a sort of Stephen Hawking of the subject.

Reactions: swyn

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
The typical 3x3 tarp tent configuration can also be amended by not pulling back the sides. Instead of the beak, the whole front is pulled together forming a smaller opening. Hidden valley bushcraft shows this better than I can describe at around 6 mins in:

A good resource for tarplogy is papahiker, a sort of Stephen Hawking of the subject.
On my short-list to try but I have to find where one of the children have put my 3x3 tarp!
S

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
I have also made the triangle idea in the past.
Must admit I watch the pupa hiker vids on youtube, some amazing configs in his video which Ive also tried and used.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE