Lightweight 2 person tent, dedicated porch and head room?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Siliconised Nylon is lighter if it has the same tear strength. The right choice for trekking because used mainly during the night.

For static camping, especially on sand and in the sun polyester / PU is the better choice.

Reactions: gibson 175

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
@Broch
Which brand is your old tent?
Which material?

It's a Saunders Spacepacker made of nylon, which has been used above the snow line in winter, in snow storms, in torrential rain, and high wind. I've had to replace some of the short pegging elastics and, sadly, I've recently bent the pole but that was because I had a tarp attached to it in high wind :(

Unfortunately, Saunders Tents no longer exist; Robert Saunders died in 2012 (I think).

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Yes, it's great they make such a version with the shorter pole lengths, and the slightly additional weight makes sense for a bike.

It appears the Copper Spurs may not do very well in wind? Not talking storms, just general winds like we get throughout the year here in the UK. They don't break, but twist and bend onto you in the tent (if YouTube reviews and comment sections are to be believed).

It's a top contender with the Minipeak XL given the porch space. The MSR Hubba Hubba and Elixr 2 are also winning me over, even if they're not up there with the usable covered porch sections. Need to work out exactly what my tolerance is for pack size now!
That’s the problem with the style of tent with high sides. I would use it more for bike packing rather than windier exposed conditions. I have seen a copper spur style tent on Dartmoor and it cooed very well in strong winds. Noisy but the build quality was good and it was fine.
‘Mids’ and pyramid shelters like the Minipeak look good on paper but you have a pole in the middle of the tent and the steeply sloping sides reduce the usable room. I have a Duomid and a Shangri La 3 - I really enjoy them but they are have limitations. Tunnel style tents are a good compromise - I have one of those and it offers a very good middle point between weight, packing size and usable space.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Have a look at Eureka tents.
They seem to be pretty durable.

If you use a tent just one week a year you should try to avoid something that degrades in the storage in less than a decade and costs nevertheless pretty much. Most current tents are made like this.
How do they degrade in storage? I have loads of ‘current’ tents and if they are stored loose, dry and clean in a plastic box they last years.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Mids’ and pyramid shelters like the Minipeak look good on paper but you have a pole in the middle of the tent and the steeply sloping sides reduce the usable room.

I'm going a bit off topic, but here is an amusing worst case scenario involving the lanshan 1, on 'wildbeares' YouTube channel. Hard to blame it on the tent, but still...

Regarding the copper spur there are plenty of positive reviews of it holding up to high wind, but I've yet to test mine in such conditions. I don't care if it flaps a bit or caves in a bit, I just don't want the poles to snap.

Reactions: Nice65 and nigelp

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I have an old Vaude Mark II tent that did a good job of standing up to the winter weather in Snowdonia over many seasons despite not being a "winter tent" and will fit three ppl fine if needed but has loads of room for 2. It's 4 kg, but they do have lightweight and ultra lightweight versions too. Two porches and good head room
That's a brand I've not heard of in a long time! They do make some rather nice looking tents; the lightweight ones are quite over budget though, with their within budget ones too heavy. I'll have a look second hand too, thank you for the suggestion.

Reactions: SaraR

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
That’s the problem with the style of tent with high sides. I would use it more for bike packing rather than windier exposed conditions. I have seen a copper spur style tent on Dartmoor and it cooed very well in strong winds. Noisy but the build quality was good and it was fine.
‘Mids’ and pyramid shelters like the Minipeak look good on paper but you have a pole in the middle of the tent and the steeply sloping sides reduce the usable room. I have a Duomid and a Shangri La 3 - I really enjoy them but they are have limitations. Tunnel style tents are a good compromise - I have one of those and it offers a very good middle point between weight, packing size and usable space.
Very good points on the interior space of the pyramid shelters. It's exactly the sort of thing I just don't consider when looking at tent diagrams which tend to focus on the max dimensions!

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I have seen a copper spur style tent on Dartmoor and it cooed very well in strong winds. Noisy but the build quality was good and it was fine.

Regarding the copper spur there are plenty of positive reviews of it holding up to high wind, but I've yet to test mine in such conditions. I don't care if it flaps a bit or caves in a bit, I just don't want the poles to snap.
Thank you both for this information on the Copper Spur. It does really appeal with that great proppable awning entrance on both sides! Impressive interior space too for the weight.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Very good points on the interior space of the pyramid shelters. It's exactly the sort of thing I just don't consider when looking at tent diagrams which tend to focus on the max dimensions!
Also worth keeping in mind how tall you need it to be with a inflatable mat to sit on if you use those and if they give the height of the inner or outer tent.

Reactions: nigelp

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm such a beginner. They are inflatable and they be thick! Very good point.
It is. I’ve been a great fan of the Vango Banshee 2 for years, sleeping on a fairly thin Multimat Camper mat. Had a couple of crappy nights on an Exped Synmat because I had the inner against my feet and head.

Reactions: hughtrimble

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
Back to some of the comments on pyramid tents,they do resist wind quite well,& you have the option of reducing inner pole height to lower the profile of the tent if needed ,they can also be strung / suspended from a line / .
With regards actual use quite a few reviews on youtube & winter use as well .
this video is helpful with regards to actual size
Also by using trekking poles the weight is kept low

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The pyramide tent is great for touristic camping grounds and youth camps.
And for those who aren't used to the own tent because they don't use it very often. (!)
There are usually no lines to the stakes!

I own a Luxe Outdoor Silhexpeak V4a outer tent which I use in such circumstances instead of an open tarp.
But if I can't hang it under a tree or washing line the central pole is quite disturbing. May be less a problem if one is younger. Otherwise they are good.
You choose one that gives you enough of space in the right height and get a lot of flat space additional around of you. For example for a dog or whatever.
But if you have to carry the poles because there are no trees or sticks the tunnel is the better construction in my opinion.

-----------------------

@nigelp
They may last a few years but not decades.
Due to the pandemia I went through my older equipment and threw away afterwards nearly everything that was made of waterproof plastic fabrics.
All older rainwear, all plastic tents and civil ponchos, all waterproof bags and rucksacks. An original value of several thousand Deutsche Mark, because I inherited also current equipment from my parents.

The only exeptions were Hilleberg and Ortlieb products and the German army poncho and German army rucksacks made of Cordura and other real military Nylon stuff.

Most current civil equipment is short lasting and degrades in the storage, roughly said depending on the price it lasts between 5 to 20 years, usually rather 5 to 10.

I assume that most older people think that they store a lot of eqipment but actually store nothing than garbage and a few tent stakes and pots in between.

Fortunately most of my older equipment is approximately on a WW2 standard and didn't degrade in the same storage.
Traditional German boy scouts use exclusively old school equipment. And that's what I mostly own.
My museum stuff is fine and ready to use although it's often 60 to 100 years old.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I'm such a beginner. They are inflatable and they be thick! Very good point.
The same goes for the length of the inner tent. If you're not too tall, you can probably get away with having a steeply sloping inner tent even if sleeping on an inflated mat without getting the bottom of your sleeping bag and your head wet, but if you're over 6 ft tall, it starts getting problematic. I'm not that tall and sleep curled up on my side, so I don't have much of an issue with touching the inner tent, but I still put something waterproof around the footbox of my sleeping bag if I can. For my DH that is crucial, or he's likely to have a soggy sleeping bag in the morning if there's a build up of condensation during the night. I got the Rogen because it was lightweight enough for me to carry on my own, but also b/c the inner is not sloping as much on some of our other tents, so more space and less likely to touch the inner.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Snugpak Special Forces bivvy bag weighs just 340g and can be comfortably used in a tent due to its central zipper.
Because it adds a few degrees insulation to your sleeping bag , keeps your sleeping bag clean and allows you to sleep without tent if you can't find a place for it it's an option that everyone should consider who goes for camping in moist conditions.

I simply keep it on my Snugpak Special Forces 1 sleeping bag as a second skin and just seperate both and dry them out both if I return home and put them away.

That sleep system was apart from the first head lamp decades ago the most surprising outdoor acquisition that I ever did. It simply works better than anything else that I tried before.

:mexwave:

Like this we turn back to a cheap throw away tent for example from Decathlon.
Should it break in a storm you still have the bivvy bag. A lot of money saved for military surplus equipment in good conditions!

;)

More space?

(You can get the original replacement poles if needed.)

A few drips in the inner tent?
Doesn't matter if you use a bivvy bag.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Robens did copy absolutely shameless the best selling Hilleberg constructions.

You can get here a superior design for a relatively low price in an unknown quality.

But like this you seem to avoid heavy construction faults.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
One Tigris Smokey Hut plus mozzy interior ?
Very light, wind resistant (being tipi, though wouldn't be my first choice as a mountain tent!) very compact. Loads of room. Just a thought....................

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Back to some of the comments on pyramid tents,they do resist wind quite well,& you have the option of reducing inner pole height to lower the profile of the tent if needed ,they can also be strung / suspended from a line / .
With regards actual use quite a few reviews on youtube & winter use as well .
this video is helpful with regards to actual size
Also by using trekking poles the weight is kept low
I really like the look of these for woodsy stuff, especially given the flexibility with the line hang or pole. I can definitely see myself in one solo, but I've gone off the interior for two people inside the inner compartment due to the proximity of the person nearest the sloping edge when pushed right up against it on a thick inflatable mat. Perhaps that's misguided?

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
One Tigris Smokey Hut plus mozzy interior ?
Very light, wind resistant (being tipi, though wouldn't be my first choice as a mountain tent!) very compact. Loads of room. Just a thought....................
Just had a look at these, thank you for mentioning them. I'm getting similar vibes to the Luxe pyramids we've been discussing too, for two persons on thick air beds.

Reactions: Laurence Milton

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE