Knife Law in Ireland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Raptor

Tenderfoot
Does anyone know what the law concerning the carrying and use of knives in Ireland is ?.
Does the law differentiate betwwen fixed and folding blades ?
What are the penalties if prosecuted ?

Obviously carrying a concealed (or worse still an exposed knife) in public in a town or city, would attract the attention of the local Garda. But I have never heard of anyone being arrested or prosecuted for carrying a knife in the countryside or in the wilds.

Any budding lawyers out there. ???

OutbackAl

Aug 31, 2006
Ireland
Hi Raptor

Here is the laws your looking for.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA12Y1990S9.html

Taken from the link above

9.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3), where a person has with him in any public place any knife or any other article which has a blade or which is sharply pointed, he shall be guilty of an offence.

(2) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (2), it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1) to prove that he had the article with him for use at work or for a recreational purpose.

And the list of offensive weapons.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI66Y1991.html

All taken from this site, which gives gun laws also.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA12Y1990.html

Hope that helps you.

Al

Raptor

Tenderfoot
Thanks guys,
had a look at the links given, its not very clear. If I am reading this correctly, then we are guilty to start with, then we have to prove we are not guilty of going out to cause mahem and trouble.
Its a pretty sad situation when you have to explain why you are carrying a bushknife.
Its all about interpretation of the law and a Garda in a bad mood.

Good luck

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Raptor said:
Thanks guys,
had a look at the links given, its not very clear. If I am reading this correctly, then we are guilty to start with, then we have to prove we are not guilty of going out to cause mahem and trouble.
Its a pretty sad situation when you have to explain why you are carrying a bushknife.
Its all about interpretation of the law and a Garda in a bad mood.

Good luck

Hi Raptor,

As long as you keep the sharp packed away in a bergin etc, locked in the back of your car - and only take out when obviously using for leisure - eg when your hammock is hanging under the tarp !

I'v never seen a guarda very far from a road ! - i think you'll be safe as long as your not walking down grafton st with a sharp in your hand ( then again there probably as many blades in the centre than at many a moot ! )

Loz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE