Kit you wouldn't recommend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Any rucksack that is designed to be worn over webbing:-
Plce
karrimor sabre 45
berghaus munro and centurion
snugpak rocket pack

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Aha I never did!

Mora knives get my vote, rubbish cheap sheaths and naff handle material, GROW UP!

Hahahaha :D

I like my Mora Clipper - it prevents Locum76 from handing out my decent Chef knives to the lads for nasty farm tasks...

Liam

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Anything that used to be made in Sweden or wherever but is now made in China because some numbskull accountant worked out that he could save a few bob.

Optimus stoves for starters.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
A Wright & Son Bushcraft Knife. I cant get it as sharp as I want, and it dulls really quickly.
Although people have been putting the Mora on this list, I have in fact gone back to this over the Wright & Son knife I paid over 10x the price for!!!

Whenever anyone reviews stuff on here it's almost always a positive review, no one likes to admit having bought the wrong kit.
For me it has to be my Swandri Ranger extreme, have other products from the same company, but really couldn't get along with this one especial the neck / collar design. Each to his own.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Titanium cooking pots.

Poor heat transmission, and weight savings through thin material increases chances of burning.

Has its place, but not for cooking pots, except maybe for ultralight backpacking. But other wise paying lots of money for poor performance.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Anything in cammo meant for squaddies!! Overweight and relatively old technology kit that is best consigned to budget cut military or DofE kids who have no better idea on buying kit.

I suspect I am probably on my own with this one. But in my defence I did once do a week long backpack with someone who used one of those with the is it PLCE pockets on the side. It had a rucksack cover in a pretty heavy duty rubber-like covered fabric IIRC that was sized so it could cope with the max capacity of 11litres down to the min capacity of about 30 to 50 litres. The cover could probably be used as a tarp it was so big. The whole kit really weighed him down and he struggled. Since then he has gone out and bought a few lightweight kit. First up was a UL tent weighing 1kg and then a smaller, lighter sack and a load of other kit. He is happier backpacking now.

I am not too keen on sporks but have never had one. I tgend to use my nice matt Ti long handled spoon for pretty much all my eating. I have a nice, light and small locking knife for cutting so I don't really need much else cutlery-wise.

Can I also suggest that mini trangia is only good for the burner in it which you then use with another windshield arrangement like the Evernew DX stove unit or the Honey stove in four piece setup. Seriously it is no use if there is wind. I wa fortunate in that I got the clone version for About £7. In fact it was so cheap that it is cheaper than the trangia burner unit on its own!! Also 30g lighter and better made than the TRangia original IMHO but still would never take it anywhere again.

Can I also suggest that those matches with the wax on the tips to keep them dry are fairly useless? When you come to use them you effectively scrape the covering off to light. Well I never light matches first time around and my experience in the wet is to be unable to get a stove or anything alight with matches wheterh normal or so called storm ones. Get a lighter or fire steel and forget the matches unless in good weather.

Those brightly coloured silicon cups, mugs and plates you can now buy. You know the X-plate and the X-bowl from is it lifeventure or sea to summit?? Fortunately I have never left a shop with one after trying the mug and managing to simulate putting it down and collapsing it in one motion. If there had been boiling water in there what state would my hand be in? Besides using a rigid mug doesn't take much more room really as you can always fill it with soft and squishy stuff. Or my mug takes a UCO mini candle lantern perfectly without any wasted sapce at all plus it protects it. Also my other mug (simple plastic single wall one that is UL) takes a white box stove with the UL windshield and base inside it and a tiny bottle of meths that is sufficient for an overnighter inside the WBS. All that brew and meal prep kit isinside the mug!! Plus no risk of collapse with boiling water in it neither.

Biker

Netting hammock I saw on ebay last year. Decided to give it a shot and if I got on well enough in a hammock I'd invest in something a bit more substantial. First night in the wilderness and those strings started a-pinging. Developed a list around 4am but didn't quite fall out. I've retired it to the task of gear support to keep it off the ground.

So the moral of the story is blag, steal or borrow a hammock from someone else and not buy cheaply as a tester. I eventually got a really sweet hammock via the legendary gift-it-on thread. Well pleased with it.

Any knife that has a hollow handle for "survival" items, like Rambo had. Prise a stone out of your boot sole and the blade breaks off at the hilt.

PS Any Sci-fi film starring Micheal Ironside in the main role. He's such a Jonah. He's risky in supporting roles too but Total Recall wasn't too bad. Sharon Stone redeemed it.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I find Ti pots really good. The heat transmission is actually quite good on account of the tinner wall. They also don't burn you lip when drinking out of your Ti pot/mug whereas a Al one would a long time after heating. I only boil water so not a problem with burning that. I also use a Vargo Ti-lite that was only £25 so actually cheaper than some of the lighter pots in Al IME.

I guess there is a lot of scope for personal preferences and how you use something. If you do proper cooking then Ti pots might not be for you. I will never get on with SS billys. Each to their own I guess on pots. I also have an AGG 3 cup pot in Al which is lighter than the Ti pot but thin walled too so burns more than the Ti and isn't as strong.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I find Ti pots really good. The heat transmission is actually quite good on account of the tinner wall. They also don't burn you lip when drinking out of your Ti pot/mug whereas a Al one would a long time after heating. I only boil water so not a problem with burning that. I also use a Vargo Ti-lite that was only £25 so actually cheaper than some of the lighter pots in Al IME.

I guess there is a lot of scope for personal preferences and how you use something. If you do proper cooking then Ti pots might not be for you. I will never get on with SS billys. Each to their own I guess on pots. I also have an AGG 3 cup pot in Al which is lighter than the Ti pot but thin walled too so burns more than the Ti and isn't as strong.

deleted, misread it

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.

I don't really disagree with any of that, where weight is critical I would go with titanium as well. That was what I was implying by mentioning ultralight backpacking.

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE