Kit you wouldn't recommend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Bison Bushcraft Ventile Smock...

All the Water resisting properties of a brown paper bag and an 'ergonomic' cut that would suit this fella...

images

Expensive and total pants... IMHO

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
cheap sleeping bags- I've been tricked into the false economy of buying cheaper ones to 'try' and still haven't found a decent one despite spending a good 100 quid so far! :(

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I don't really disagree with any of that, where weight is critical I would go with titanium as well. That was what I was implying by mentioning ultralight backpacking.

Graham

And not all Ti pots are expensive if you know what to get and where to get it. In fact I've seen a lot of SS pots that cost more. I do think they are for a certain type of cooking and a certain type of application. Not bad nor good as it depends on what you need. I do think that is a distinction here. The OP wanted things that are not recommended due to being not good at what they are meant for. Or at least that is the sort of thing I think is of more interest than what is not good for something it isn't, to be fair, meant for.

Perhaps my suggestion of my mate's huge bergen is another example as IMHO it is heavy but if you need a system from 45litres up to 110 litres capacity then perhaps this was perfect. Same with my dislike of those storm matches. What is a good example is Biker's string hammock (I nearly typed string vest there but they are coming back particularly in Scandinavia and cold areas so not aa bad thing). That was not good for the intended use.

Another example of gear I can not get on with is Paramo but that is just a preference due to the fact they are now cut to a different shape which doesn't fit me. My first and only one was bought 20 years ago and fitted me ok but recent looks for a new waterproof lead me to checking them out again and they are way too boxy to fit me. Medium fits around my body but is two or three inches too short in the arms and body, the Large is perfect in length of arms and body but about 1/3rd too big around the body I reckon (or was that large and XL?).

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Swedish Army Trangia: Never understood why people like them so much. Twice as heavy, half as fast. Not even that stable. A bunch of squaddies could play football with it and then kick it over a cliff and it would still be fine, but do I really need that? No. No I don't.

Grilliput: Why did I buy this, why why why? It's heavy, fiddly to assemble, and a pain to clean. And you can't use it on a fire of any size. Now I just carry chicken wire.

Then there's all the gear that there was nothing wrong with, but just didn't work out. But that's another thread I suppose.

Last edited:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Army sleeping bags. Maybe good for people who are driving their APC into the bush, not suitable for hiking.

Army rucksacks, heavy for what they are.

Army stoves. Just use an open fire, or a real light modern stove.

Borderline roleplaying stuff. Capes, buckskin clothing etc. You just look daft.

Wire saws. Useless.

Anything branded as Ray Mears or Bear Grylls. Overpriced.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I had my use of it though before selling on.

It was a bit tight in a way.

Never had it wet really though.

Ah, I had it wet on more than one occasion and it was absolutely, unfailingly hopeless in every way and the cut was poor for a lot of reasons IMHO.

The little stuffsack it came in was really good though..

I'm glad you got some good use out of it before moving it on...:)

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
And not all Ti pots are expensive if you know what to get and where to get it. In fact I've seen a lot of SS pots that cost more. I do think they are for a certain type of cooking and a certain type of application. Not bad nor good as it depends on what you need. I do think that is a distinction here. The OP wanted things that are not recommended due to being not good at what they are meant for. Or at least that is the sort of thing I think is of more interest than what is not good for something it isn't, to be fair, meant for.

Mmmm, well I don't actually think that titanium pots are very good at what they are intended for ie cooking. Hence me thinking it was in the spirit of the question. For the reasons I said.

Plus the fact they are "generally" expensive and titanium has this thing of being considered the "best", which is likely to encourage people to spend the money on titanium, where they could get something better for less money.

I use the word better in the sense of a container to cook things in.

Graham

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Not wanting to upset anyone here, but expensive knives.

I'm fortunate and got a custom made knife 2nd hand for £60 and nearly balked at that price. Even then I'm careful how I use it- unlike my "precision and finely tuned" :D sledgehammer with a blade (MOD survival knife)

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Swedish Army Trangia: Never understood why people like them so much. Twice as heavy, half as fast. Not even that stable. A bunch of squaddies could play football with it and then kick it over a cliff and it would still be fine, but do I really need that? No. No I don't.

Sorry to disagree NT but I love em for all those reasons,......I'm in no particular hurry so speed of boil don't matter..........bombproof, so no matter what, you can always rely on them.....................heavy, well I concede there but as I don't go far from the motor nowadays this is'nt a concern also the fact that you can use the pots over a fire as well, just makes them the ideal for me.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
An engagement ring? :lmao:

Seriously though, I think the gear hammock (mesh) is definitely up there with the worst! Useful for holding your hip flask and that's about it IMHO.

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London

Can I also suggest that mini trangia is only good for the burner in it which you then use with another windshield arrangement like the Evernew DX stove unit or the Honey stove in four piece setup. Seriously it is no use if there is wind. ........

Agreed. I use the burner and aluminium shield inside a higher windshield fashioned from a foil tray. Three tent pegs form a tripod. The whole lot slips nicely inside a 10cm Zebra billy.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Outdoor warehouse imitation thermarest.....for the humble price of £35 you too can carry round what feels like 500KG of extra kit, only for the pleasure of sleeping on a very slowly deflating mattress that results in you ending up on the ground....brilliant

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Outdoor warehouse imitation thermarest.....for the humble price of £35 you too can carry round what feels like 500KG of extra kit, only for the pleasure of sleeping on a very slowly deflating mattress that results in you ending up on the ground....brilliant

Hahahaha brilliant i'd like to add the three gelert ones that I've had to that, one i bought myself, two bought for me after I said how rubbish the first was?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Bison Bushcraft Ventile Smock...

All the Water resisting properties of a brown paper bag and an 'ergonomic' cut that would suit this fella...

images

Expensive and total pants... IMHO
I found mine so good I bought a second one!
Different folks - different experiences!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE