Berghaus Munro? Sabre 30? Cuillin 2? So many daypacks...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I find it pretty interesting that the German army currently doesn't order an own pattern but simply issues the China made Munro and the Atlas.

I guess that the Special Forces tried out all offered models and did choose these two. Traveling I see a lot of plain olive green Munros used by soldiers on the railway, but I also already found a Flecktarn version.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have got a Munro which I used to use as my day pack. It is a simple, arguably fairly crude beast when compared with the Savotta Jaakari M that I now use for that purpose. I reckon that, if you want something that offers a bit more flexibility and is significantly more comfortable, go for the Savotta option.

jackorion

Sep 8, 2021
Exeter
so my Munro arrived yesterday - so far so good! not too big (only a little taller and deeper than my North Face) but the single compartment means there's a lot more internal space - I ordered a 40L drybag as a liner and I can easily fit things I need to keep dry but not always be accessible in there, with plenty of space for a waterproof jacket and stuff like binoculars etc on top.

I've realised I will miss the mesh water bottle holders on the side of the north face, but I think I can use a carabiner and the compression straps to secure a waterbottle to the outside of the Munro, but I might try and pickup/get my wife to sew some sort of side pocket... otherwise it's all good and I'm looking forward to taking it out next week!

Reactions: MikeLA

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
And that’s what I like one deep single compartment, no fuss. Just the right size to stop you over packing. I just stuffed a waterbottle down the side outside of the dry bag. Which was usually a thin but strong garden bin bag cut down to size. That’s all you will need really and it’s easier/space saver.

Otherwise just get a cheap civi side pouch and attach it or some Brit army webbing pouch. Most of the time when you want a drink the bag will be off your back so keeping it inside isn’t a problem, especially nearer winter if you use a flask for hot drinks.

Last edited:

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Interesting discussion. I have a Sabre 45 + side pockets that I like for longer trips. Just before Lockdown One I found a Predator 30 on ebay for a very good price and that's a useful bag for hoofing around. I've used it regularly for about a year volunteering as a camera trap setter and it's stood up to rough usage and bad weather - a LOMO liner has kept the contents dry.
My bushcraft / Scout camp go everywhere without worrying about it bag is my old Northern Ireland pack. I'd like to use it for everything, but it's DPM and I'm not comfortable carrying it in public. There were OG versions made - NOT the Kombat brand type but real issue packs - but I've not managed to find one; that would be my ideal bag for days out, woodland laffing, Scout stuff, etc. Two lid pockets + two side pockets + a decent main compartment = ideal set up, IMHO.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Have a look at the ESSL RU 5026 and RU 502!

They are different but have approximately the same exterior compartments. Pretty practical stuff! And available in olive or black.

Last edited:
Reactions: arthem

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE