Berghaus Munro? Sabre 30? Cuillin 2? So many daypacks...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@MartinK9

Do you have a idea where he could get the green ones?

Does the Nalgene Everyday 1 litre bottle fit together with the a nesting mug into the side pouch?
And the 1,5 litres version?

Optimal would be in my opinion one of these stainless steel mugs.

I would buy two bottles and two mugs and put them into both side pouches. One mug for coffee or tea, one for food.

How many litres volume has such a Munro side pouch?

Last edited:

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Incredible, that there are neither the original side pouches nor after market offers available.

arthem

Jun 14, 2021
United Kingdom
Sorry to hijack the thread but I was wondering if anyone knew how the Berghaus Centurio 30 compares to the Munro in terms of size and quality. I was looking at getting the Centurio 30 with 2x 10L side pockets for going to and setting up camp and then using just the rucksack for climbing / day hikes.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think it's nearly the same but has a for civilians slightly better back solution.

I guess the Munro with side pouches didn't convince them totally and so they offer now the Centurios with and the Munro as ultra light mountain troop version without sidepouches and that's it.

The Germans don't use the MOLLE system and want light rucksacks.
Into the Munro compression straps the Bavarians put Ski or climbing rope. Side pouches would rather disturb here.

Munro and Atlas are made for the German army the models with MOLLE and PLCE /MMPS system for the others.

That's more or less all.

Reactions: arthem

arthem

Jun 14, 2021
United Kingdom
I think it's nearly the same but has a for civilians slightly better back solution.

I guess the Munro with side pouches didn't convince them totally and so they offer now the Centurios with and the Munro as ultra light mountain troop version without sidepouches and that's it.

The Germans don't use the MOLLE system and want light rucksacks.
Into the Munro compression straps the Bavarians put Ski or climbing rope. Side pouches would rather disturb here.

Munro and Atlas are made for the German army the models with MOLLE and PLCE /MMPS system for the others.

That's more or less all.
I suppose the question now is do I get the 30L with 2x Side Pockets or do I get the 45L?
I suppose 45L is a tad too large for climbing Ben Nevis unless its winter....

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, I wrote that the same time, Jared.

The point is, that the Centurios have NO horizontal compression straps. They have a different ski /rope strap solution!

So, a too large Centurio rucksack will stay too large.

That's why a look at the Savotta Jääkäri L is also no bad idea.
That you can squeeze without end.

Varusteleka spotted the weak point and ordered large, well constructed side pouches for it that are made by Savotta too, but sold under Varustelekas home brand Särmä.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
And that's why if bushcrafters talk about a 45 litres rucksack, the Karrimor SF Sabre 45 isn't far away. Here fit large PLCE side pouches additional.

You can compress it in all directions and in the side pouches fit Mors pot or 1,8 litres Pathfinder Bushpot.

That makes the model becoming the standard recommendation for bushcrafters.

Last edited:
Reactions: arthem

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Also remembered the Swedish Army Stridssäck 2000 rucksack.

And can get side pouches for that...

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
@MartinK9

Do you have a idea where he could get the green ones?

Does the Nalgene Everyday 1 litre bottle fit together with the a nesting mug into the side pouch?
And the 1,5 litres version?

Optimal would be in my opinion one of these stainless steel mugs.

I would buy two bottles and two mugs and put them into both side pouches. One mug for coffee or tea, one for food.

How many litres volume has such a Munro side pouch?

IMG_20210913_202300[1].jpg

That's a 1 litre side by side with a 0.5 Litre Nalgene.

I got my spares from ebay, they pop up from time to time. £20 plus postage is the going rate.

HTH

Reactions: MrEd and Erbswurst

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Indeed!
I ask myself why they seem to have stopped the production of rucksacks like this.

Reactions: MrEd

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Sorry to hijack the thread but I was wondering if anyone knew how the Berghaus Centurio 30 compares to the Munro in terms of size and quality. I was looking at getting the Centurio 30 with 2x 10L side pockets for going to and setting up camp and then using just the rucksack for climbing / day hikes.
I’
I suppose the question now is do I get the 30L with 2x Side Pockets or do I get the 45L?
I suppose 45L is a tad too large for climbing Ben Nevis unless its winter....
I’ve got both, Berghaus didn’t quite get it right with the Centurio but that’s just my opinion. The Centurio is squarer and has a more comfortable back system but it’s also a fair bit heavier than the Munro. The plastic loops on the front are set up wrong for an ice axe (correct on the Munro). The lack of side compression on the Centurio is annoying but is how the bag is set up. The Karrimor SF 45 might be the best option as it was designed on the old Karrimor Alpiniste which was very much a mountaineering pack. 45 ltrs is fine for summer if you can compress the sides down.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Does this mean that it is not possible to carry ice axes securely with the Centurio?
You can, but it’s normal on a long walk in to drop the axe through the bottom loop then fold it over and buckle the shaft near the lid. The top buckles should be horizontal whereas on the Centurio they are vertical. You can kind of make it work but it’s like Berghaus have forgot their heritage. I suppose it’s not really a bag aimed at the mountaineering market but if that’s the case I would just remove the loops altogether and add more webbing etc. The Munro first appeared in the 1980’s and it’s a great all rounder if a bit small for winter mountaineering.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE