It's up for sale !!! The Best Bushcraft Kit EVER !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I think if somebody bought that string for me and I found out that it was a wind up. I would be just as entertained as I am already! :D

Also, just because it's tat it doesn't mean that the gift wouldn't be appreciated as thoughtful. Nobody is likely to pay stupid money for it even if it were handled by the Queen!

Yes, I am sure YOU would still be appreciative, but I think Squidders point was about how the PERSON who bought it would feel? Who may be, as he said, a wife/girlfriend/relative etc who knows nothing about the bushcraft (and why should they?) and thought they were doing something special for a loved one, just to find they have been the subject of ridicule.
I think that was Squidders point. And it's a fair one.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
No it's not! It's a bit of string! If somebody pays a huge amount for a bit of string then they need their heads examining! The only reason you are outraged is because you see it is ridiculous to pay a large amount for a bit of string endorsed by a celebrity and you are correct. Unfortunately, the world is full of idiots who will pay a large amount for a bit of string just because it is endorsed by a celebrity. Get over it, you won't change anything, it happens on eBay all the time.

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
I don't see this as any different than an autographed picture of a "star"; it's still a bit of paper with some ink on. If that ink was arranged to spell "Marilyn Munroe" it would fetch a fortune.

Is this any different? yes, it's a piece of string but it has been handled by Mors. There is the bushcraft connection... :-D

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
No it's not! It's a bit of string! If somebody pays a huge amount for a bit of string then they need their heads examining! The only reason you are outraged is because you see it is ridiculous to pay a large amount for a bit of string endorsed by a celebrity and you are correct. Unfortunately, the world is full of idiots who will pay a large amount for a bit of string just because it is endorsed by a celebrity. Get over it, you won't change anything, it happens on eBay all the time.

Yes, I know it's a bit of string. YOU know it's a bit of string. But my partner DOESN'T and may buy it as a surprise gift.
You're absolutely right, it won't change anything, alas. But I won't add to it.
This is just a bit of snobbery. I don't mind that, but at least be honest enough to recognise it. I am absolutely certain it was done with the best intentions, but can't you see how someone who doesn't know better (e.g. a spouse or partner) could fall for it, just to satisfy your own sense of humour. I seem to remember that Bernard Manning, and Jim Davidson, claiming that their 'humour' was only fun. Mmm...

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
*** you lot, grow up. There are enough problems in life without bickering over what was, lets be honest, a pretty weak joke to begin with. Stop looking at internet forums and get on with some work (like me........):theyareon.

Anyone who follows this post with the predictable 'well they started it we were just having a bit of fun' deserves to be run over by a bus. Anyway I am off to the woods to do some chainsawing now - have fun around 'the virtual campfire' from your office seats.:)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Yes, I know it's a bit of string. YOU know it's a bit of string. But my partner DOESN'T and may buy it as a surprise gift.
You're absolutely right, it won't change anything, alas. But I won't add to it.
This is just a bit of snobbery. I don't mind that, but at least be honest enough to recognise it. I am absolutely certain it was done with the best intentions, but can't you see how someone who doesn't know better (e.g. a spouse or partner) could fall for it, just to satisfy your own sense of humour. I seem to remember that Bernard Manning, and Jim Davidson, claiming that their 'humour' was only fun. Mmm...

:rolleyes:

I need a new signature line! What's the one I have over on British Blades again.......?

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I very much doubt that anybody will pay over the odds for it anyway. I fail to see that ANYBODY could see it it for more than what it is....... a piece of string!!

I also cant believe how much controversy this has caused amongst you all.

I would be very surprised if anybody other than a BCUK member even bid on the damn thing!

I'm half tempted to buy it myself just to put it to rest!!

Anyway, peace to all!!!:240: :240: :240:

Dan

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I very much doubt that anybody will pay over the odds for it anyway. I fail to see that ANYBODY could see it it for more than what it is....... a piece of string!!
Dan

Well, bidding is at £92 for that bit of string, and there's still 9 days to go. Make of that what you will!

Eric

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Wow if only I'd have asked Mors for his pocket fluff too.... I'd probably have green clad protesters in hammocks on the front lawn (makes note to write to Mors asking for a bag of lint from the tumble dryer..... Bush tinder :D )

£92 with 16 watchers though....?????? Now that is stupid :( I may have to pull the auction. If it would have gone for about a tenner I'd have let it go but this is insane??? £92 *** !!! C'mon it's just string !!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Wow if only I'd have asked Mors for his pocket fluff too.... I'd probably have green clad protesters in hammocks on the front lawn (makes note to write to Mors asking for a bag of lint from the tumble dryer..... Bush tinder :D )

£92 with 16 watchers though....?????? Now that is stupid :( I may have to pull the auction. If it would have gone for about a tenner I'd have let it go but this is insane??? £92 *** !!! C'mon it's just string !!

All joking aside, and despite what has been said on this thread, I think withdrawing the item would be a VERY good idea.
I have just looked over the ad. Now, if I parted with a tenner for what turned out to be just a piece of string I may feel agrieved, but I'd leave it at that.
But if I shelled out £92 (or more!) then I'd take legal action. Having just looked over the ad, there is nothing on there to say it's all just a bit of a joke. The ad is quite sincere and is designed to deceive. I counted at least three instances of direct deception that I know would stand up in court and several more that would have a fighting chance.
I think you would be wise to withdraw the sale because if the person who wins it has genuinely fallen foul of the 'joke', as opposed to someone who knows the money is going to charity and sees it as a way of making a donation, then you are in for some litigation! Be careful and be warned!
Might be a good idea to canvass members of this forum, to see if any of them have made the bid and make them fully aware of what's going on.
On your head be it! Best of luck!

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Well i stand well and truely corrected!!

Turns out i have given joe public far more credit than is due!

£92.00 :yikes:

Honestly!........................

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Item now withdrawn from sale.....

It was a bit of a joke that's gone awry and to be honest if I'd known it would go this far I wouldn't have bothered in the 1st place. Sincerest apologies to all those who felt strongly about it and it's now all gone.....

On the positive side though...... I have a bit of string worth £92....:lmao:

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Well I took it for what it was. A little bit of fun. :lmao: I certainly didn't see any "direct deception that would stand up in court". :confused: :dunno:

Probably best it's withdrawn though, as the joker who bid £92 won't pay and you'd get stung for ebay's selling fee.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I just can't believe this thread, the moon must be full or something because some of you are finding pretty convoluted ways of getting upset about a joke.

I have an old maxim that I live by, I don't suffer fools cheaply...............

I live by it too mate, but there is a difference between not suffering fools and setting a trap for them so you can laugh at their stupidity.

The world is full of stupid, ignorant and vulnerable people. But I think setting traps for them so we can point and laugh, says more about us than it does about them.

It's one thing to stand with a few mates at a moot and laugh at the daft state of affairs on ebay, but I think following it through in this way is ill-advised.

But dont let me spoil yer fun. ;)

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Could you please tell me the three examples of direct deception?

Do my best - only have this screen up on my computer, so I'll have to do it from memory.
First one was the name of the piece. It was all capitalised, suggesting a proper noun and the name of the product. Which it is not. It suggested that this was an authentic commercial item that was marketted under this name. And, as we all know, it most certainly is not.
Secondly, there was a quote. Something like, 'super-cordage'. Or something. Anyway, it was in 'quote marks'. Again, this suggests the phrase was being quoted from somewhere, and not just someone's opinion - a review, perhaps. Again, this was not the case and is, therefore, deception.
Can't remember the third off the top of my hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE