Is necklace/pendant bushcrafty make or not?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

charley beale

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2006
South
I really like the idea of making something personal along the lines of a pendant to be threaded on leather. Possibly wood carving?

I have trawled the threads and there is so little on this type of thing that i am thinking maybe it isn't bushcrafty enough, does anyone have any ideas/photos of things they have done?

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Sorry, no photos, but a friend has a beautirul miniture flint arowhead he knapped as a necklace, and another cuts bone into mouri swirly spikey shapes for necklaces.
If you sit on log outdoors to whittle you necklace and enjoy being in the fresh air then thats certainy bushcrafty enough for me.
Cheers
Rich

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Roving Rich said:
Sorry, no photos, but a friend has a beautirul miniture flint arowhead he knapped as a necklace

:eek: After doing some knapping I know how sharp that get... they're a braver person than me.

leon-1

Charley, whilst in Namibia Stuart and I watched the ladies of the San Bushmen making beads from Ostrich egg shell for use in bracelets and necklaces. They were using a handdrill with a metal tip to do it.

Tubes of bamboo can be used in a similair fashion as beads, as can small bones (you may get chased by every hound and alley cat in the area with that one). I would think that a couple of people that may be very good to talk to on this subject would be Roving Archer and Carcajou Garou.

I would say that it is still a very bushcrafty type activity, the Celts and the Vikings both used to make Jewellery and adornments out of many materials and I would say that skills at Bushcraft would be far greater than mine.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I don’t see why personal adornment and decoration are not buscrfti they certainly have links back to primitive and traditional craft

fenlander posted this a while back

Fish_lure.jpg

I think he now has a couple of things round his neck this fish an ember pan for fire by friction and a cant remember what the other is but the are lovely to look at and they are useful for bushcraft

Let us see what you make and show us some pictures

James

charley beale

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2006
South

James

Thank you for your support, though in awe of fish picture and thinking i will be posting pictures of my initial attempts for a team hug/encouragement session as am sure they wont look so lovely and i will have to curb my perfectionism! :eek:

charley beale

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2006
South
Charley, whilst in Namibia Stuart and I watched the ladies of the San Bushmen making beads from Ostrich egg shell for use in bracelets and necklaces. They were using a handdrill with a metal tip to do it.

Tubes of bamboo can be used in a similair fashion as beads, as can small bones (you may get chased by every hound and alley cat in the area with that one). I would think that a couple of people that may be very good to talk to on this subject would be Roving Archer and Carcajou Garou.

Thanks a lot Leon, i like the bamboo idea lots. ;)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
how about a small carved tigger?

seriously though a simple fish or even just a random wooden shape should be easy enough to create to appease your perfectionism:)

dosn't matter what it is - as long as YOU like it - the fact you made it will make it special! ;)

so come on - get whittleing! - we wanna see something! :D

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Thats great get some stuff made:) As a fromer jeweller i'm always interested in what people make. I think you might be on to a winner too "Bushcraft Jewellery" sounds great to me.

James

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I knapped my wife a very nice arrow head necklace. I've also made quite a few necklaces from wood and the like, although I've not used natural cordage other than leather.

I think it's a great activity, you'll have good practice at knife skills generally you'll do more intricate work than a spoon or other implement you might carve.

Just got for it :D

jdlenton said:
I don’t see why personal adornment and decoration are not buscrfti they certainly have links back to primitive and traditional craft

fenlander posted this a while back

Fish_lure.jpg

I think he now has a couple of things round his neck this fish an ember pan for fire by friction and a cant remember what the other is but the are lovely to look at and they are useful for bushcraft

James

I also have a tiny spoon, a tea spoon and Elder beads that I have carved. I intend adding a glue stick (based on PatrickM's tutorial), a cut down fireball firesteel and a small flint knife to use with the firesteel.

necklace.jpg

Hiya James by the way :D (fancy spending Easter at Rutland water....check out the EA thread ;) )

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
If you're wearing an ornamental arrowhead then you always have an spare arrowhead. :)
If it's mounted using pitch and sinew you can soak off the sinew then heat off the pitch and re-use both of them to an extent.

Aug 1, 2005
UK
charley beale said:
I really like the idea of making something personal along the lines of a pendant to be threaded on leather. Possibly wood carving?
Veg-tanned leather takes impressions well, and can be dyed or waxed afterwards. Bardster has done some of this - such as a pendant of the White Horse of Uffington.

Otherwise you could try carving bone or horn, both of which give good results.

As to whether it's bushcrafty - I don't see why not.

WL

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Charley, i carved this for the top of a new fire steel,i could just have easily drilled a hole through the side and threaded a leather thong to turn it into a pendant. I am thinking of doing some other animals,badger, otter,fox etc etc.

charley beale

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2006
South
stuart f said:
Hi Charley, i carved this for the top of a new fire steel,i could just have easily drilled a hole through the side and threaded a leather thong to turn it into a pendant. I am thinking of doing some other animals,badger, otter,fox etc etc.

Hi Stuart - think that is fantastic. Am determined to have a bash, i will post my efforts and hope you will all be kind to my mistakes! :notworthy

Willowbark

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2005
Stroud, Gloucestershire
Small leather bags, worn on a thong around the neck ("medicine pouches") can be either plain or decorated and can contain small items that you've found or are in some way special to you.
I've worn one for years and have never found that it catches on things or gets in the way at all when I'm out and about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE