To tent or not to tent that is the question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Right so I'm turning to the collective for some ideas.
For many years I've fancied the idea of a Baker style tent - yes yes I know another Baker tent thread.
But here's the thing.
Bushcrafting for me for the next several months is likely to be get there in the dark. Set something up quick and break camp a few hours after I get up the following morning.
So what I need is a quick set up shelter preferably one I can hot tent but not essential.
Something with a porch would be nice so I've got the option of an open fire.
I sleep better on a camp cot rather than thermorest type mats that would be the key thing here.

So in summary a Baker style tent or shelter that I can get a cot into and hot tent.

I've got a Helsport Lavvu which kind of fits the bill less the porch.

Thoughts please?

Reactions: Crowe

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
I can see your point with this but I think I'm looking for something a bit more tenty than tarpy.
After the Night Of A Thousand Chiggers I prefer sleeping off the ground and like my creature comforts. Those creature comforts being no Chiggers.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Do you have the money to buy a Baker tent?
If so, then get one.
If not, then make do with the one you have. You can rig a tarp up to create a porch for your Helsport lavvu.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Are you walking in and out or in a vehicle or boat?

Baker tent plus cot bed won't be a lightweight option I suspect. Although I see no reason why you can't make a Baker tent from lightweight materials, I've not seen one.

Walking or canoeing, I use a 3x3 tarp like crosslandkelly. For the night creatures I use a natural bug lotion (also keeps slugs off your face:)). Sometimes, I'll take my backpacking tent if I know the weather will be truly foul or I want more privacy.

Overland trekking (110 Defender) I use an Oz tent - it goes up in 20 seconds and is an aluminium framed equivalent of a Baker Tent.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
California Search and Rescue LIVE
In bivy sacks. I’d opt for a first night, crawl in and sleep, set up camp in the morning strategy

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Since you haven't mentioned a weight limit (or budget) check out the Pomoly Stovehut which appears to meet many of your requirements.

Reactions: Kadushu

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Lonnie of Far North Bushcraft on YouTube has an episode making an inexpensive Baker out of plastic tarp material. You could make your own to test the concept. If it works THEN invest in a canvas unit.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I reckon a Finnish loue might fit the bill. Simple and versatile, easy to set up and some even have a sort of aluminium/silvered inside to reflect the heat of your strategically placed fire on to you as you slumber. Since they originate in a country that basks in a proper winter, I think you'll find a loue would satisfy your needs really quite well.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Loue is a kind of leanto and so one cannot use a stove but it works well with a fire and the reflective inner surface does help.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE